Conan O'Brien retiring from Late Night

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was paring down pre-Covid so not surprised either.

I was in the **** Jay Leno crowd and still am but one thing about when Conan took over the Tonight Show slot was his musical guests were forced to go way downhill.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He'll still have a weekly show on HBO max, which may end up being better.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Conan is the best. I've really enjoyed his podcast and I think he's enjoyed being able to talk in more depth to some of these celebrities. I think he's at his absolute best on that podcast where he can freelance and get into real conversations with people, as opposed to 3-5 minute conversations. Whenever I listen to his podcast I'm amazed by how quick and witty he is.

It's amazing to me how almost every young comedian he's had on his show have said how big of effect his late night show had on their comedy careers. Leno wasn't funny and Letterman had his moments. But it was all very stuffy. Conan's show was so different and so clever and his humor just seemed to resonate with members of my generation.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Conan is the best. I've really enjoyed his podcast and I think he's enjoyed being able to talk in more depth to some of these celebrities. I think he's at his absolute best on that podcast where he can freelance and get into real conversations with people, as opposed to 3-5 minute conversations. Whenever I listen to his podcast I'm amazed by how quick and witty he is.

It's amazing to me how almost every young comedian he's had on his show have said how big of effect his late night show had on their comedy careers. Leno wasn't funny and Letterman had his moments. But it was all very stuffy. Conan's show was so different and so clever and his humor just seemed to resonate with members of my generation.
Letterman's netflix show is really good imo.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Guessing this is a generational feeling...but Letterman absolutely ROCKED! The Late Night show on NBC was "must see" tv! Way ahead of its time! Letterman's CBS show was great too but due to the time slot it wasn't going to be exactly the same as Letterman's NBC show. Fortunately for all of us...NBC hit a grand slam when they took a chance and hired Conan as Letterman's replacement because it was the best of both worlds! Watch Dave at 10:30 and then Conan at 11:30!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

This is a good summary of the pod. I find myself laughing even when he does the ad reads which seem fairly apparent that he doesn’t prep for.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is a good summary of the pod. I find myself laughing even when he does the ad reads which seem fairly apparent that he doesn’t prep for.

I like his interviews, but the best part of every episode is the 5 or so minutes of him just freelancing with his assistant and the engineer.

The one he did with Zach Galifianakis is pure comedy gold. Laughed for an hour straight.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and JM4CY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
His Conan Without Borders specials over the past few years are about a million times better than anything else late night talk shows have ever produced.

His Korea special alone is more funny than the a few decades of other shows combined. The Isreal one is some really powerful stuff that's more effective than most journalistic efforts and showing what life is like.

He's not the greatest interviewer, but he's the funniest talk show host ever. He's up there with Letterman for smartest host ever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron