Complete 2018 ISU football schedule announced

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
In Austin. I still don't understand how UT and OU continue to avoid playing in the great white north of JTS at the end of the season. There's clearly some bias in the system.

Yep, that's about the first thing I thought when I looked at the schedule. You'll never see Texas or Oklahoma in Ames, Iowa on November 17th! It has to be an under the table agreement to kiss the ass of the two schools helping keep the conference alive and flourishing.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Schedule looks rough to start conference play but a nice bye in the middle.

Why do we start conference games before all 3 non conference games are played? Hasn't playing all 3 non con games first been the trend?

Yeah I don't get why we play OU before Akron?

Can't help but notice we seem to always host OU and UT early in the season, instead of into November (conspiracy theory). So I went back as far as Cyclones.com posts schedules, 2001....
We have actually hosted OU 3 times in November, all the first week: 11/3/12, 11/1/14, 11/3/16.
Looks like the latest we have hosted UT is 10/31/15.

On another note, for some reason Nebraska's logo is the Nebraska Wesleyan logo in 01, 03, 05, 07, and 09.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Way too early predictions:
SDSU: win
at Iowa: win
OU: loss
Akron: win
at TCU: loss
at OSU: loss
WVU: win
TTU: win
at KU: win
BU: win
at UT: loss
KSU: win

Solid 8-4 season. At TCU and at OSU potential tossups to get to 9-3

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah I don't get why we play OU before Akron?

This has been asked a few times in this thread. Akron was scheduled for that date years ago. We probably requested that a conference game go there rather than have an off week in september, the prime month for tailgating and game attendance historically for us.

Honestly should aim for this every year. The more home games in sept the better.

Also to be fair, historically a big reason UT and OU never made it north was that when the big 12 had divisions the later games were usually intra-division play. In a round robin schedule that should matter less, but even then they've still put rivalry games towards the end.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Why do we start conference games before all 3 non conference games are played? Hasn't playing all 3 non con games first been the trend?

TV networks want inventory.

Since you see a lot more marquee P5 matchups at off-campus locations in weeks 1 and 2, the week 3 lineup tends to be pretty watered down as all those P5 programs retreat to the safety of low-tier buy-in-a-win games.

And obviously we're a Top 25 program now and OU is a freshly minted rival.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
QB is the big ? for next year, so hard to determine how good ISU will be.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
First half of the schedule - 3-3.
Second half - 5-1.

I can easily see them getting on a roll after the OSU game.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I am not sure about other teams, but ISU will return a ton and that usually bodes well. The biggest question mark though is QB.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
This has been asked a few times in this thread. Akron was scheduled for that date years ago. We probably requested that a conference game go there rather than have an off week in september, the prime month for tailgating and game attendance historically for us.

Honestly should aim for this every year. The more home games in sept the better.

Also to be fair, historically a big reason UT and OU never made it north was that when the big 12 had divisions the later games were usually intra-division play. In a round robin schedule that should matter less, but even then they've still put rivalry games towards the end.

Good points. Could see if Akron wanted to move up a week, but they may already have a game scheduled.

Very good explanation of the old divisional games. But ever since Big 12 went to 10 teams, no reason why it can't be completely random every single year. I don't think the home & aways need to mirror each other every 2 years. Mix it up yearly.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good points. Could see if Akron wanted to move up a week, but they may already have a game scheduled.

Very good explanation of the old divisional games. But ever since Big 12 went to 10 teams, no reason why it can't be completely random every single year. I don't think the home & aways need to mirror each other every 2 years. Mix it up yearly.

Agreed. Though i think part of the answer as to why there aren't many late-season games is that we honestly like to avoid them as well (because our fans don't want to sit outside in November), and we're happy to oblige if the conference goes 'how about we move this to september instead'. Like this year, i think we were happy to take 2 road games to end the season, knowing our home advantage for those games on either side of thanksgiving break was going to be rough anyway.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
At Texas. They won't come north of the mason dixon line after 10/31

FWIW, Texas travels to KU to close out the regular season in 2018. But that's a gimme for Texas. All it really means is that they'll kick the **** out of KU in a cold and empty stadium instead of one that's just empty.

• Funny
Reactions: Farnsworth