COLUMN: What ISU's running game could look like w/o David Montgomery

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +8,034 / 255 / -0
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +6,720 / 284 / -1
    I'm imagining something along the lines of

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +30,988 / 1,275 / -42
    Yeah, Montgomery was the perfect back, as we needed someone who could break tackles and make people miss (often in the backfield, unfortunately). I think our line will continue to improve, and think next year's line could be our best in the Matt Campbell era. That, along with the dual threat of Purdy, should give our young backs more room to run.

4. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    Ratings:
    +6,720 / 284 / -1
    An overlooked element is the loss of Seonbuchner. Love me some fullback, and hope someone can fill that roll in the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8,940 / 289 / -1
    I will be in DM withdraw at least until October, maybe longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +7,061 / 238 / -0
    Totally expected a Rick Roll, or maybe a link to the poop emoji. You've outdone yourself today CW.

7. flycy

flycy Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Pilot
    Crescent, IA
    Ratings:
    +446 / 36 / -1
    Montgomery is very, very good at making people miss. He is not good at setting up his blockers or running through holes. He is still very inexperienced at the position, so there is lots of room for improvement. That being said, there is no one I would rather have run the ball on a must make fourth down. I can see a very strong possibility that the running game will be better next year and the line will likely look much better.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Omaha Cy

Omaha Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Ratings:
    +835 / 15 / -0
    What always impressed me is Montgomery's physical style of running. That can't be replaced. He is a MAN. However, ISU's other backs have more of a speed element. While I'd rather have DM I think we'll see some burner action...provided the O-line is better.

Not to be debbie downer, but there's film out on Purdy now and DCs have looked at this winter. Not saying he's going to face plant, but his trajectory might level off a bit this season as defenses start to counter him more. CMC will have to continue to manage some games and play the long game occasionally with a grind it out style, and DM was the perfect back for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HardcoreClone

HardcoreClone Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Ratings:
    +385 / 30 / -0
    That all makes sense in a perfect world. But we can't just keep assuming the OL will be better, without legitimate, consistent proof of it happening. The offensive staff also has to get MUCH better anticipating and attacking pressure/blitzing defenses. I know your column focused on the running game, but especially with a lack of a big WR threat next season, teams are going to make Purdy and the receivers beat them downfield.

I said it multiple times last season. The safety valves and checkdowns to TE's and RB's are there for the taking. Really too bad we never threw the ball to Montgomery more in space last season. If we want to stress the defense as much as possible, why not utilize all 5 receiving threats on the field? WSU made it look easy against us in the bowl game.

I like Purdy. He was a pretty dang good decision-maker as a true FR last year, and he has certain intangibles that are tough to teach. Still intrigued with how they use and get Mitchell on the field. He's too good of an athlete.

Even with the loss of DM, I do really like the group of RB's we have. Hope they can protect the ball like DM did. I think we have some really talented slot receivers, and some very good TE's. I am also excited about the Manning coming back, with a new perspective and ideas.

My main concerns going into next season: Can the OL truly develop and become physical in the running game? Can we find some sort of downfield target to loosen up the rest of the offense?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. cymonw1980

cymonw1980 Active Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +103 / 4 / -0
    #10 cymonw1980, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Not going to disagree... but will take more of a wait and see approach.

ISU has great things going for them going into next year and will likely set some impressive marks (could be the first time since 2000 - 2002 to make a bowl game three straight years, first time since 1976 - 78 to win 8 games in three straight seasons, etc)... Every team has pieces to replace each season... just part of college football. I am more confident in this staff / roster than in any I can remember.

But, last year I was a little too bullish on the team. Obviously, I was happy with the Alamo bowl... but I thought we would be on the field playing for a chance at our first 10 win season too. I am going to try to keep expectations realistic and enjoy watching this staff build the program. We will get to 10 wins at some point... maybe even next season. But I am going to focus on enjoying a historic time in ISU football.

We may replace #32 by game 1, we may take half a season to find a running game... but the staff will find a way for us to maximize our potential by the end of the year AND most importantly, keep moving the program forward.

11. BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Superintendent
    Coconut Creek
    Ratings:
    +3,890 / 278 / -2
    I think we used David as a safety blanket too much and forced the coaches from being creative in their schemes. As long as everyone develops, which there is no reason to believe they wouldn't, this team will be dynamic and dangerous next year. I think we are in the B12CG.