COLUMN: Vegas tabs W/L total at 4.5, why I'd take the OVER

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There have actually been 36 Big 12 teams before last year that won 3 or fewer games. One of those teams came back the next year to post 6 or more wins only 5 times. So in Bryce's defense it only happens about 14% of the time.

While doing that little bit of research I discovered something interesting. Try this little quiz and see how you do. Honor system, no peeking or looking it up.

Q: How many of the 14 teams that have played in the Big 12 have never had a 3 or fewer wins season in the Big 12 era (since 1996 - only seasons they played in the Big 12).

A:7

Q: Which teams have never had a 3 or fewer win season while playing in the Big 12?

A:
Kansas State
Nebraska
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas Tech
West Virginia

That's right, no Oklahoma. In the first year of Big 12 play OU went 3-8 under first year head coach John Blake. Other schools with just one bad season in this timeframe are MIssouri (3-8, 2000, Larry Smith's last year) and Oklahoma State(3-8, also 2000, Bob Simmon's last year). Apparently the Sage Rosenfels led Iowa State team helped show a few coaches the door. :)

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
For me it depends on the health of the OL/DL..simple as that for this team. Let's assume we avoid major injuries and Park is QB all year:

UNI- Pounding...Have a feeling this staff is all in on setting tone early this year and rememembers last year quite well.

Iowa- Probable win..If u look at the last 20 years history would say that ISU is due. I just don't see either of Iowa QB's having a very good season..up and down IMO. Wadley is not a RB that will just bull over us and get 4-5 yds no matter what. He's a gamebreaker no doubt but he's also a RB where u hit him and he goes down. I see ISU getting an early 14pt lead and not looking back. Seeing the 2pt. Line is telling IMO. Vegas sees somethign.

@Akron- This game scares me a little coming off a big In state win and the staff heading back to their home turf and on the road. In the end I think ISU comes from behind to win comfortably.

Texas- Best start in idk how many years for ISU and I like getting TX early. ISU wins and starts 4-0 for first time in idk how long.

@OU- Loss..but ISU makes it respectable...35-20

Kansas- Win

@TT- We should know by this game if Tech season is all but over and Kingsbury will be on his way out. If Tech is doing ok then I'd say a pick em..I'm gonna go with ISU here given Tech is without Maholmes.

6-1 to this point and receiving votes for top 25 for first time since 2003?

TCU- Win. Nationally TV game at night IMO. ISU wins on last second FG....

@WV- Loss

Okie state- Loss

@Baylor- Win

@Kstate- Loss

ISU finishes 8-4 and tied for 3rd in conference but is 4th due to tiebreaker with Kstate.

2018 ISu enters the season pre season Top 25 for first time in forever returning almost entire team.
I pray that everything you just said comes true.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This is certainly one of the years in which it can happen...a couple of teams trending down (TTech and Baylor), new coach (Texas), starting low (Kansas and ISU), down last year (WV, TCU)...point to a higher than normal potential to grab a few extra wins if the team can gel and perform well on game day. There is opportunity...
I feel a lot of this cancelled out by playing our closer games on the road. We're at TTU, Baylor, and KSU (while KSU in on another level, that game is always close). Those are our three easiest games outside of KU in the league in all likelihood. Texas, TCU, and OSU are coming to Ames, but I would be pleased to nab one of those wins, even at home.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For me it depends on the health of the OL/DL..simple as that for this team. Let's assume we avoid major injuries and Park is QB all year:

UNI- Pounding...Have a feeling this staff is all in on setting tone early this year and rememembers last year quite well.

Iowa- Probable win..If u look at the last 20 years history would say that ISU is due. I just don't see either of Iowa QB's having a very good season..up and down IMO. Wadley is not a RB that will just bull over us and get 4-5 yds no matter what. He's a gamebreaker no doubt but he's also a RB where u hit him and he goes down. I see ISU getting an early 14pt lead and not looking back. Seeing the 2pt. Line is telling IMO. Vegas sees somethign.

@Akron- This game scares me a little coming off a big In state win and the staff heading back to their home turf and on the road. In the end I think ISU comes from behind to win comfortably.

Texas- Best start in idk how many years for ISU and I like getting TX early. ISU wins and starts 4-0 for first time in idk how long.

@OU- Loss..but ISU makes it respectable...35-20

Kansas- Win

@TT- We should know by this game if Tech season is all but over and Kingsbury will be on his way out. If Tech is doing ok then I'd say a pick em..I'm gonna go with ISU here given Tech is without Maholmes.

6-1 to this point and receiving votes for top 25 for first time since 2003?

TCU- Win. Nationally TV game at night IMO. ISU wins on last second FG....

@WV- Loss

Okie state- Loss

@Baylor- Win

@Kstate- Loss

ISU finishes 8-4 and tied for 3rd in conference but is 4th due to tiebreaker with Kstate.

2018 ISu enters the season pre season Top 25 for first time in forever returning almost entire team.

Your so wrong on so many things but you are probably the closest as anyone.

Help Support Us

Become a patron