COLUMN: How Matt Campbell has sucked me right in

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think that s drinking game involving a shot every time CW says he loves a coach would get you much drinker than the Georges/Noel drinking game.

Harbaugh, drew, briles, Schneider/self/Kruger/the list never ends.

I'm a big irony fan.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Even more genius, I went to that website to see what was on it...at the bottom of the page, there's a link for "Want to become a sponsor?" It's a great idea, it's an event, companies love sponsoring events...but it's essentially recruiting...they're specifically getting their recruiting paid for. Granted, they may not get any takers, but put it out there.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm a big irony fan.

ha :). I didn't mean it as a bad thing more just when just about every coach is mentioned (save Iowa state coaches), you can almost guarantee that Chris will say he loves them. And it's the exact same wording every time. No doubt about it.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
You can’t consistently win at Iowa State by doing things just like everybody else.

This x 1,000. It took a young, aggressive staff with an outsider's perspective to finally embrace this principle. I hope they keep it up.

Great column Chris.

Same. Still have no idea how this all translates to wins, but these attempts at doing something different and more modern is incredibly refreshing.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I am sure all the other Big 12 coaches are thrilled that Matt Campbell is helping facilitate Michigan getting a better foothold in to Texas recruiting, the same way Alabama and others were thrilled with Michigan holding spring training at one of the elite high school football programs in the county, IMG, here in Bradenton. I like the move, but I would expect some backlash as Campbell moves forward because without a Big 12 school as part of the camp I doubt Michigan would try to do this.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am sure all the other Big 12 coaches are thrilled that Matt Campbell is helping facilitate Michigan getting a better foothold in to Texas recruiting, the same way Alabama and others were thrilled with Michigan holding spring training at one of the elite high school football programs in the county, IMG, here in Bradenton. I like the move, but I would expect some backlash as Campbell moves forward because without a Big 12 school as part of the camp I doubt Michigan would try to do this.

Who gives a **** what the other Big XII coaches think. You think if it benefited them any other program in the Big XII wouldn't stomp all over ISU? They have and would. **** em.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

**** the rest of the Big 12. I'd say we're going the right direction if Big 12 powers, like OU and Texas, don't like us or what we're doing. Previously, we've only been a cute little story, with a good guy coach, that occasionally gets a good win. Except that whole JP refs rant, which really blew over after a couple months.

4EverACyclone

Jun 18, 2011
Omaha, NE
Baylor and Michigan or doing this as well. My question is why is Michigan doing this? Are they going after a recruiting foothold in Texas? I'm confused.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
**** the rest of the Big 12. I'd say we're going the right direction if Big 12 powers, like OU and Texas, don't like us or what we're doing. Previously, we've only been a cute little story, with a good guy coach, that occasionally gets a good win. Except that whole JP refs rant, which really blew over after a couple months.

No they apologized, everything's good now.

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
Baylor and Michigan or doing this as well. My question is why is Michigan doing this? Are they going after a recruiting foothold in Texas? I'm confused.

I think Harbaugh is doing it just to stay in the news cycle and **** off the SEC. He plays the media exceptionally well.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I have found one thing I don't like: lack of spring videos. Please don't defend this. There is no reason to not show drill work or 7 on 7 stuff. Not showing anything of practice is as old school ( or old way of thinking) as it gets. Rhoads didn't even go down that road.

The satellite camp sounds like a good idea if we can pull it off.

I liked the recruiting class for the most part. I think the staff made a big mistake by not recruiting another juco linebacker though.

I'll always support the ISU coaching staff even though I find the ridiculous comparisons to Rhoads' staff tiresome ( not factually accurate).

I am most excited about the possibility of change that will make Campbell's staff successful if he can coach. And that's conference expansion to 12 teams and divisions. (Possibly 8 big 12 games instead of 9)

Anyone who thinks our current schedule is set up for regular 8 or 9 win seasons is delusional.

(See the Iowa schedule for terrible teams and good record evidence)

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay

I think Harbaugh as a coach in a midwest based conference is probably looking at the population trends that are all showing less and less opportunity to find talent in the midwest as time moves on. He probably realizes that he can't depend on mainly Ohio for talent to run what he obviously hopes will be a top 10 program.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's maybe not a fair comparison, but Campbell sounds like more of a football nut than Rhoads. That could be just how they handle interviews, but for a team that has to outscheme other teams to win, Campbell's enthusiasm for the X's and O's of the game is encouraging.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

The rest of the conference has never really seemed to have our back when it comes to football. I will celebrate the day they are ****** at us. It means we're not their piñata anymore.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I have found one thing I don't like: lack of spring videos. Please don't defend this. There is no reason to not show drill work or 7 on 7 stuff. Not showing anything of practice is as old school ( or old way of thinking) as it gets. Rhoads didn't even go down that road.

What? There are new videos coming out of camp like every week.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA

The satellite camp sounds like a good idea if we can pull it off.

I liked the recruiting class for the most part. I think the staff made a big mistake by not recruiting another juco linebacker though.

I'll always support the ISU coaching staff even though I find the ridiculous comparisons to Rhoads' staff tiresome ( not factually accurate).

I am most excited about the possibility of change that will make Campbell's staff successful if he can coach. And that's conference expansion to 12 teams and divisions. (Possibly 8 big 12 games instead of 9)

Anyone who thinks our current schedule is set up for regular 8 or 9 win seasons is delusional.

(See the Iowa schedule for terrible teams and good record evidence)

[video=youtube;22ye5tmwBPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ye5tmwBPA[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZthslvdHc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't have expectations for 8-9 win seasons being the norm, but since 6-7 wins was attainable last year, I think that being the norm isn't too much with an occasional 8-9 win season mixed in.

I don't see it as much of a stretch to expect a team that knows what it's doing, wants to do, and does it, and doesn't have games like Tech last year where they're getting completely blown up by a marginal team.

I'm sure CPR's staff had some sort of plan, but there were some really bad losses on his time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron