COLUMN: How COVID-19 will change college football forever

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pollard has made it very apparent the plan for this year is 50% capacity. Obviously a fluid situation but he keeps saying 30k fans in the stands

That doesn't do anything. If you're going to let 30k in, you might as well let 60k in.

Instead of another person shoulder to shoulder with you, they will be a foot and a half away from you.... which won't help at all really.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That doesn't do anything. If you're going to let 30k in, you might as well let 60k in.

Instead of another person shoulder to shoulder with you, they will be a foot and a half away from you.... which won't help at all really.
I gotta agree. Plus given the number of people that always seem to have to get up out of their seat that can’t just sit and watch the game, there will be a lack of social distance anyways.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It amazes me the lack of common sense among a lot of leaders in this country.

So if you only allow 20k into Ohio Stadium.... where do you think people will end up sitting? They will all move down and cram into the first 20 rows of the seats.

Nobody is going to sit at the top of the stadium when 80% of the stadium below you is empty.

Just like Reynolds saying malls can only be 50% full. How in the hell do you police that?

It's all just dumb. If you're going to allow fans in the stadium.... besides the players and coaches families.... then you might as well allow them all in.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

So if you only allow 20k into Ohio Stadium.... where do you think people will end up sitting? They will all move down and cram into the first 20 rows of the seats.

Nobody is going to sit at the top of the stadium when 80% of the stadium below you is empty.

Just like Reynolds saying malls can only be 50% full. How in the hell do you police that?

It's all just dumb. If you're going to allow fans in the stadium.... besides the players and coaches families.... then you might as well allow them all in.

It's all completely arbitrary. They have no idea and just make things up, which is pretty much everyday.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I'd think it would be possible to monitor that sort of thing if you have enough staff for security purposes and spread people out by assigned seats.

The rules would need to be strictly enforced. You don't adhere to the spatial situation, you leave.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Depends on if they require masks.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I'd think it would be possible to monitor that sort of thing if you have enough staff for security purposes and spread people out by assigned seats.

The rules would need to be strictly enforced. You don't adhere to the spatial situation, you leave.
Agree, actually be easier to implement than you think - if folks know they will be thrown out and maybe lose access the rest of the season might keep people in line. If you're lucky enough to get in to see the game I would think you would value it enough not to lose it.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Agree, actually be easier to implement than you think - if folks know they will be thrown out and maybe lose access the rest of the season might keep people in line. If you're lucky enough to get in to see the game I would think you would value it enough not to lose it.
I guarantee there will be season ticket holders that will not want to go. Depending upon what happens, I might be one. My guess as to what the future brings, would probably have me not attending. Things can be done to attempt to minimize risk. Although, generally speaking, I have a low opinion of expecting people to follow the rules, I think it could be done. But, a seating plan and masks would be musts to me, with enforcement.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I guarantee there will be season ticket holders that will not want to go. Depending upon what happens, I might be one. My guess as to what the future brings, would probably have me not attending. Things can be done to attempt to minimize risk. Although, generally speaking, I have a low opinion of expecting people to follow the rules, I think it could be done. But, a seating plan and masks would be musts to me, with enforcement.
We are still 3 plus months from kickoff so a lot could change. I am renewing and my wife is high risk so if things are still bad we may ask to have a refund or apply to next season. I guess I'm an optimist - I think things will get better and believe if you expect more from people that is what you will get and if you expect less then that is what you will get. I'm still enough of a realist to not get down when people disappoint.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Have the scientists weighed in yet with the fecal particulate matter that is suspended in the air from flatulence, low-volume toilet water turbulence, and even hand-dryer fans? The air in public restrooms and anywhere basically you can smell another's vapours is a virus breeding ground. Anyone who would even consider going to these football games is anti-science.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Have the scientists weighed in yet with the fecal particulate matter that is suspended in the air from flatulence, low-volume toilet water turbulence, and even hand-dryer fans? The air in public restrooms and anywhere basically you can smell another's vapours is a virus breeding ground. Anyone who would even consider going to these football games is anti-science.

The science has shown us that the odds of getting it while outside are extremely low.

CDC had new regulations yesterday saying you really won’t be getting it from surfaces.

You’re right that bathrooms would be the high risk areas. I probably would just show up for the game and leave with no potty breaks.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The science has shown us that the odds of getting it while outside are extremely low.

CDC had new regulations yesterday saying you really won’t be getting it from surfaces.
It’s doubtful they’ve done a lot of studies of thousands of people watching for over 3 hours at stadiums. The congestion and proximity durations aren’t your typical outdoor behavior and models much more like being inside a warehouse.

The CDC has been politicized and gutted to a point I wouldn’t blindly believe what they promote. It may be the top priority of the new Administration.

Last edited: