COLUMN: Hire Seneca and Sage as assistants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
If we want to bring in former NFL players because we think NFL players make good coaches, let's bring players who have had more success in the NFL than Sage and Seneca. They don't have to be Iowa State alumni.

This.

Sage and Seneca mean infinitely more to the fan base than they do to any recruit. I'll bet half the student section at games this year couldn't pick either out of a line-up...much like I wouldn't recognize players from the 80s when i was in college in late 90s.

Not saying they couldn't do the job, just saying this search should involve critical thinking...not following our hearts based on fond memories of past players.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is entirely up to the new HC if he wants to bring a former Cyclone in as a coach.

Just to respond to those saying that Sage in particular has no experience developing players - note that several of his last jobs in the NFL were specifically for him to mentor a young NFL QB. There are plenty of older QB's out there to bring in for that role. Sage obviously brings something to the table to be brought in for that role on more than one team.

Bringing in more than one former Cyclone (that is taking a flyer on more than one former Cyclone) is a big stretch.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
I LOL at people who think a veteran NFL QB who wants to coach could not be a college QB or WR coach. It's nearly impossible to be a veteran NFL QB without many of the qualities a great offensive coach has. Only issue is if the person has a horrible personality for recruiting/locker room reasons which isn't the case with either of these guys who everyone loves.

Just something people say because it makes them seem smart, but it actually makes them look dumb. It's like saying a wildly successful investment banker couldn't teach high school economics well if he decided that's what he wanted to try doing.

This is exactly why the "get rich quick" schemes actually helps everyone that buys in to get rich quick. Well, they don't. I have no doubt that a wildly successful investment banker could teach economics. He's going to teach what he knows and how he learned it. Those of us who have actually played and coached, and/or taught high school students know that it's not about what you know. It's about what the student and player needs to know or learn and your ability to teach/coach it.

These guys may have the ability to be great coaches at this level. They definitely have the playing experience. I just know they need more than just their college or NFL playing experience as the tool.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think that's a fair statement - and more so for position coaches/coordinators than for head coaches. Probably most true at QB due to leadership role and high football IQ necessary to play successfully in the first place. But coaching/leading is diffferent than doing.

Not saying Sage and Seneca couldn't...just saying i don't understand why some equate successful player/fan favorite with quality coach. Especially in one of the best conferences in the country with a cellar dweller team we're trying to turn around.

Besides, I guarantee that JP/Leath are not going to make slection of specific position coaches a condition of the new head coach's hiring. They'd tell us to pound sand. Head coaches select their own staff for the most part...usually bringing former colleagues and/or retaining some current staff...not bringing in unknowns.

So, [fill in coaching candidate's name here], we're going to offer you the job, but you have to hire theae two former playera our fan base likes to reminisce about. Neither have coached a day in their life, but they had below average NFL careers so they're totally legit."

Let's be serious here...

I'm not saying that a "let's hire former players" movement can't be silly. I'm saying it's silly to think someone who played the NFL position that requires the most intellect can't coach. If there was some red flag about Sage or Seneca as cerebral smart football players who can lead they'd have had 1-2 year NFL careers instead of 10+ year careers. They stuck that long because they are very smart players with elite football minds, especially Sage who didn't have the gifted legs Wallace has.

The COACHING EXPERIENCE!!!! people are pretty silly. Guys like Sage, Seneca, Hornacek and Fred aren't just dumb jocks. They are very smart guys who only had the careers they had because they are very smart guys. This isn't like saying Troy Davis for head coach.

Sage/Seneca are easily qualified to be a QB or WR coach assuming their interview would show they are highly committed/motivated to want the job. Doesn't mean they should be or will be, but saying they aren't is just a silly thing somebody says because they think it makes them look smart.

Last edited:

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I'm not saying that a "let's hire former players" movement can't be silly. I'm saying it's silly to think someone who played the NFL position that requires the most intellect can't coach. If there was some red flag about Sage or Seneca as cerebral smart football players who can lead they'd have had 1-2 year NFL careers instead of 10+ year careers. They stuck that long because they are very smart players with elite football minds, especially Sage who didn't have the gifted legs Wallace has.

The COACHING EXPERIENCE!!!! people are pretty silly. Guys like Sage, Seneca, Hornacek and Fred aren't just dumb jocks. They are very smart guys who only had the careers they had because they are very smart guys. This isn't like saying Troy Davis for head coach.

Sage/Seneca are easily qualified to be a QB or WR coach assuming their interview would show they are highly committed/motivated to want the job. Doesn't mean they should be or will be, but saying they aren't is just a silly thing somebody says because they think it makes them look smart.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009

Not questioning their potential and not trying to look smart. Just saying people need to separate emotional sentiment from reality. There are a lot of people on here (not necessarily you) trying to translate the Hoiberg situation to football and it's not the same thing. Also, JP doesn't hire the staff in pieces...he hires a head coach who assmbles his own staff. That's all I'm saying.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Sage and Seneca are very different from Horny and Fred. Horny started as "Special Assistant Coach" for the Jazz in 2007. Fred started in the Wolves Admin. Sage and Seneca might want to do something along those lines if they're serious about coaching. Special Assistant, volunteer coach, administrative assistant, graduate assistant, coach at a lower level school, coach at a high school.....

There have been many smart players in the NFL. Give them all a look. Being ISU grads or loving ISU should not be a factor.