COLUMN: Hire Seneca and Sage as assistants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If there's one thing we've learned it's that loving your school directly translates into wins.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Calling for Sage and Seneca to be assistant coaches three days into a coaching search is the most Chris Williams thing ever. I can't knock Chris' love for the Cyclones, but not my favorite "voice" of the fanbase.

Reactions: Cy$

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I think one of them as a QB coach, especially Sage, could work. Sage drawing from a decade of backup QB experience could be very beneficial in developing a QB here at Iowa State. Recruiting, game-planning, and other aspects of a coaching job may or may not be Sage's forte, but if we are strictly talking teaching/developing a QB, I feel one of them would know how to go about it.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Neither guy has proven he can coach, recruit, or develop players to perform at a very high level. Also, we don't need a guy(s) to sell ISU to fan base. That's all we know for sure that either of these guy can help with. CPR has already built a great foundation of support. The facilities are great as well. We need guys who can sell winning to high-level recruits, parents, and high school coaches. We need coaches that know player development (physical and mental) and how to teach football. We need a HC that knows in-game decision making and is not razzled by the tough decisions.

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
In my opinion, Eggan and Ayeni stays. Eggan knows your conference's recruiting base and Ayeni is just one hell of a coach.

CintiClone

Nov 10, 2009
Gotta love this thread. Bunch of responses about how successful players don't have the experience to coach, written by people who have no idea what experience the former players have or their personality traits for recruiting high school kids (leadership). Fire away.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Gotta love this thread. Bunch of responses about how successful players don't have the experience to coach, written by people who have no idea what experience the former players have or their personality traits for recruiting high school kids (leadership). Fire away.

For me, it's less about whether than can coach or not and more about whether it is too risky to take a chance on two people that have never coached.

We were told that Rhoads was fired because we need to go to the next level. I have a hard time believing that the next level includes a lot of the names CW is saying are on the list.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
If they think that Sage can recruit then why not give him a shot at the HC position? I think that after the Mayor that might be a good sell to recruits...
Fred wasn't much of a recruiter. He could motivate and draw up plays. Sage can recruit but I don't know how good he would be at coaching besides QB, he is too raw. I don't think hiring a former player as the HC would work twice.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If they think that Sage can recruit then why not give him a shot at the HC position? I think that after the Mayor that might be a good sell to recruits...

Honestly, that makes more sense than hiring some candidate and then thinking that it is a good idea for him to hire Sage, Seneca and the coach from Valley.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
So far Williams has wanted Sage, Seneca, Wallys son, todd sturdy, and one other assistant. Ummm no. Lets get some new guys and try them out. Just my opinion.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think it would depend on what type of offense the new guy wants to run but having either as a QB coach doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm not a fan of hiring them just to hire them but if they fit in, go for it.

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Matt Wells and Jeff Brohm were never GAs. Being a GA is obviously not a requirement to success. If Sage or Seneca have the goods in the eyes of the new coach fine. More than one way to skin a cat.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Sage and Seneca have the means to help the program if they want to. Just because someone has strong feelings about Iowa State doesn't mean they'll be good recruiters.

Do you honestly think Chris Weinke, Jason White, or Troy Smith would be great recruiters at FSU, OU, or tOSU just because they won Heisman trophies there and really like their alma maters? It'd be a cool story but it doesn't mean any of them could identify talent and pitch whatever the program looks like now to kids.

Austin Flynn at least has experience coaching and recruiting, and is at a winning program.