COLUMN: Hire Seneca and Sage as assistants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Flynn brings a lot to the table. Qb and receiver experience. A leader, definitely student of the game. Wasn't his dad a Texas HS coach, iirc. Could be a Texas recruiter for us.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Flynn brings a lot to the table. Qb and receiver experience. A leader, definitely student of the game. Wasn't his dad a Texas HS coach, iirc. Could be a Texas recruiter for us.

and most importantly, he has some coaching experience.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
Entertaining to read, but risky in practice. I love the NFL bona fides that the two would bring to the table and I think they'd be excellent recruiters if they were willing to completely throw themselves into the job. But whoever the new coach is has to be given the opportunity to build his own staff and put his personal stamp on the program. Bringing back two of the most popular Cyclone athletes to ever pass through Ames might not be the best way to do that.
Agree 100%. If these two fill the needs of the next coach, hire them. I am not sure if playing in the NFL translates to coaching ability. IMO, our biggest need w the next staff is the ability to develop players.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
While I love the idea of either one..it ain't happening. But it's fun to read. No way a new HC or even JP, given how important this hire is, would consider hiring a major assistant position with zero experience coaching and recruiting.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't get this. CW is usually more on point than most of the posters here. But a bunch of posters would love to see a staff filled with former players who've never coached a day in their lives, and I think that's a good way to go 0-12.

Why would a new coach hire two guys who have never coached before to join their staff? They would be less qualified than the jags that Chizik hired to fill his staff, but it's all OK because they used to play in the cardinal and gold?

Just not on board with this idea at all. Bring one on as a GA and I'd take it; anything more would be a stretch at best.

All of this.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I don't think I'd feel comfortable hiring a HC who's wouldn't have his own list of contacts with better coaching resumes than Sage and Seneca.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Too often when it comes to Iowa State football, we think with our hearts rather than with our head.

Our attachment to Rhoads, Warren, Lanning, Sage and Seneca should in no way determine any component of the coaching staff.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Just not on board with this idea at all. Bring one on as a GA and I'd take it; anything more would be a stretch at best.

Same here. I'd bet 95% of coaches start off as GAs. I love Sage and Seneca but why should they be any different?

I don't think a lot of people understand the commitment it takes to be a position coach, let alone an OC or DC. These guys are working ridiculous hours. And then go out on the recruiting trail. And if you aren't 100% bought in to that lifestyle, you won't be successful. Do we know Sage and Seneca have the drive and desire to be an assistant coach?

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
5,289 yards and 26 touchdowns during two seasons - 110th pick
4,164 yards and 18 touchdowns during four seasons - 109th pick

lolwut.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I am not a big 'hire the former player' guy...but hire the former players and keep multiple assistants?

Agree with other posters on here that this is thinking with the heart instead of the brain...a lot like the 'I'm not vouching for anyone', but yet somehow Otzelberger (who has no head coaching experience) is the least risk to take over our top 10 basketball team articles during the basketball coaching search.

CW has Sage on his show all the time, and I know Seneca has been on as well...also has gotten to know TJ over the years...it appears a good way to get campaigned for is to get to know the guy that runs Iowa State's most popular website for it's fanbase.

Last edited:

Hilton77

Feb 21, 2012
Des Moines
I would say no. They don't have any recruiting connections developed. To risky. Plus kids these days have no ideas who these guys are.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
These guys don't have to be playcallers or anything. They can make a positive impact selling the program with first hand experience. Plus it's not like they have less knowledge than a guy that the new coach might want to bring in just because they haven't coached before. I think either of them would probably be on par with what an average QB coach in college football can do.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Since they can't both coach QBs, where would you assign each guy?

Kind of funny you say that. When I was looking at the Scott Frost bio yesterday, I was amazed at his coaching path, considering he was a QB.

Coached Linebackers, the was Co-Defensive Coordinator at UNI.

Wide receivers at Oregon where he is now the offensive coordinator.

I think it's more about being a good teacher than actually having played the position you are coaching. Also, if you know football, you know football. I actually think that ex QBs would actually make good receiver coaches.

don't get me wrong though, I'm not advocating that we bring them both in. It's an interesting thought, but we need people with solid coaching experience, and recruiting ability, imo.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
There are A LOT of staff positions...recruiting coordinator, Operations, film, etc (and multiple spots on each place). I would LOVE to have them as part of the program because when visitors come to campus, even having informal interaction with these guys would be great. But if they truly want to earn it, are they willing to come in at $50k a year as an assistant recruiting coordinator?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There are A LOT of staff positions...recruiting coordinator, Operations, film, etc (and multiple spots on each place). I would LOVE to have them as part of the program because when visitors come to campus, even having informal interaction with these guys would be great. But if they truly want to earn it, are they willing to come in at $50k a year as an assistant recruiting coordinator?

Both thy would have pensions, not sure what they are. Ran into Timmy Dwight and he said it wasn't enough, but he isn't good with money anyhow so that may not be a good comparison.