Column about Hoiberg in the Lincoln Journal Star

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
(ignoring the ridiculous amount of butt hurt a lot of you have)

He was the right coach at the right time for ISU but I'm incredibly skeptical of his chances to resurrect the program for the 2nd time in 2021. He'd be an instant upgrade over Prohm obviously but ISU chasing Hoiberg would be like you chasing your high school crush.
yep.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

He was the right coach at the right time for ISU but I'm incredibly skeptical of his chances to resurrect the program for the 2nd time in 2021. He'd be an instant upgrade over Prohm obviously but ISU chasing Hoiberg would be like you chasing your high school crush.

....after your crush ran off with your best friend.

Reactions: Bigman38

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Hoiberg is an upgrade over Prohm and is a guarantee to put butts in seats and eyes on screens. I don’t necessarily think he can recreate the success he had here, but I’m not sure many coaches, if any, can take a program from the dead and make it a top 15 program as quickly as he did.

I support Fred because he

1) Guarantees to make us immediately relevant again
2) Has proven he can win at Iowa State
3) Is an excuse for the Hoiball video to appear on CF
4) Will bring in a basketball program that is entertaining to watch

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'm skeptical, too, although it would not surprise me if he did resurrect it. But would it be no more than "back to kinda what it was the first time," or can he improve on it?

Also has an element of "Fred is the only coach who can succeed at ISU!" (Granted, that has been the case for a majority of this century, but that's a relative circumstance).

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I think Fred is on the verge of turning it around at UNL. I don't think he'd take the job in Ames because he's already two years into a rebuild in Lincoln and would probably have two years of rebuilding in Ames if he came home, effectively starting the process over on a different campus. His ship has likely sailed in Ames.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I think Fred is on the verge of turning it around at UNL. I don't think he'd take the job in Ames because he's already two years into a rebuild in Lincoln and would probably have two years of rebuilding in Ames if he came home, effectively starting the process over on a different campus. His ship has likely sailed in Ames.
Fred could make some noise with the current roster and the newcomers next season. We don't have a bad team. We just have bad coaches.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Fred could make some noise with the current roster and the newcomers next season. We don't have a bad team. We just have bad coaches.
Could be, but Teddy Allen is a really good offensive player, and even though the kid from Western Kentucky's path doesn't suggest it, he was a top 100 recruit out of HS. I don't know the backstory, but his commitment to WKU was strange at the time just looking at it without any context. And in general their roster now is fairly old, it's just that they have a lot of guys playing together for the first time.

So I think at least offensively their roster is not THAT bad. The big guard recruit they have coming in will be a big boost in talent, but their returning guys are probably what they are individually. Improvement from the returning guys is more going to come from how well they play together and mesh.

I know someone mentioned how good their class is relative to the rest of the Big 10, but it's a function of having of course one top 25 kid, but also having 3 commits when most of the teams have 1-2. A while ago I noticed that their avg. 247 composite ranking was definitely bottom half of the league even with the top 25 kid.

So they will be better for sure, probably by a significant amount, but I don't think they will be that close to being a tournament team next year.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
He is miserable in Lincoln. He would take the job.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
He is miserable in Lincoln. He would take the job.

That's my point. He's miserable because the rebuild has been almost two long years now. Would he effectively want to start over the rebuilding process from scratch? I don't get the vibe from him that he'd want to do that, especially given the recruiting successes he is having.

I hope you are right though and he's I-80 eastbound soon.

Reactions: ATCy

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
The thing is that with no sit out transfers anymore Fred could, if he wanted, bring the guys he wants with him from Nebraska so it wouldn’t be a complete rebuild. Rebuilding now can be done faster because every year will be free agency. I’m not saying it happens but it’s a possibility.

Reactions: ATCy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That's my point. He's miserable because the rebuild has been almost two long years now. Would he effectively want to start over the rebuilding process from scratch? I don't get the vibe from him that he'd want to do that, especially given the recruiting successes he is having.

I hope you are right though and he's I-80 eastbound soon.

If there is going to be a change this year, AND if he is interested, in my book he beats anyone on any list I have seen. Because other than the story line of the mayor, done it before......IMO he would be the one coach who could keep the talent that is here...here and keep the incoming recruits.....coming. Hence making the transition that much smoother. And like others who have stated if someone like T.J. is coach he could bring along some of his recruits......why couldn't Fred talk his best recruits into following him? ISU is a better program.....and he did have success here.

Edit....cycub51 beat me to the last point.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
If there is going to be a change this year, AND if he is interested, in my book he beats anyone on any list I have seen. Because other than the story line of the mayor, done it before......IMO he would be the one coach who could keep the talent that is here...here and keep the incoming recruits.....coming. Hence making the transition that much smoother. And like others who have stated if someone like T.J. is coach he could bring along some of his recruits......why couldn't Fred talk his best recruits into following him? ISU is a better program.....and he did have success here.

Edit....cycub51 beat me to the last point.

I do agree that if Fred wants back, we make it happen. Over the course of 2-5 years, the financials would more than make up for it.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
He wasn't. His family was.

tenor.gif

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I'd live in Ankeny if I was a coach. Carol couldn't go anywhere without being noticed.

I still lived in Ames (as a postgrad) back in 2015. I remember the weekend when Fred had either been hired by the Bulls (or was imminent) I remember ending up in line at HyVee behind Carol. I didn’t say anything, but some older guy an aisle over or at the end said hi or tried to talk to her. From his tone it seemed like he wanted to talk about Fred. I just remember she looked super stressed and wanted to get out of there.

If that was just a sample of what they put up with, I can’t really blame her/the family for wanting to live elsewhere.