Colston DiBlasi granted release and Weston asked for release

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Is it more common in wrestling for guys to quit mid-season like this? It seems pretty rare in football/basketball.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Colston now gone and Weston won't be here either...

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...leave-iowa-state-wrestling-program/322363002/

The house cleaning continues...Too bad they don't want to work hard and be a part of something potentially special!

Come on. "Don't want to work hard". Diblasi wrestled up a weight half the season for us this year just to see the lineup but wasn't going to see a starting spot again in the next two years and the open season is already done. He gave the staff a full season. Not every guy has to be insulted on the way out.

Hackgolfin72

Jan 30, 2015
Ankeny
For someone who doesn’t follow the wrestling program closely, all these mid-season departures seem puzzling to me. I know we just got an entirely new coaching staff in the Off-season, but can somebody who has knowledge and follows on a close level explain to a NOOB what is happening here? I keep seeing guys leaving, read some of the drama with the Storr? guy leaving, etc. Just curious to get an objective view of what the deal is right now...

• Agree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I understand why he is going, can’t beat Straw, not really heavy enough for 165, his wrestling style doesn’t match the staff but I don’t get why you leave now. Room wrestlers are an important part of the team, at least that’s what they told me when I was one.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
For someone who doesn’t follow the wrestling program closely, all these mid-season departures seem puzzling to me. I know we just got an entirely new coaching staff in the Off-season, but can somebody who has knowledge and follows on a close level explain to a NOOB what is happening here? I keep seeing guys leaving, read some of the drama with the Storr? guy leaving, etc. Just curious to get an objective view of what the deal is right now...

The open part of the season where backups get to wrestle is done, so Colston wouldn’t get to wrestle any live competition the rest of the year. It’s nice to have room guys, but I understand Colston leaving as it is very hard to continue to practice when you know you’ll be transferring and won’t get to wrestle another match. This departure isn’t surprising like the Storr departure and is probably the best for both parties. I’m not concerned at all by this departure as I consider it basically end of season and not mid season for a back up.

djhart69

Feb 1, 2017
Is it more common in wrestling for guys to quit mid-season like this? It seems pretty rare in football/basketball.

For people to leave in the off-season when there is a coaching change is not rare at all, for backups like DiBlasi to leave is not that rare either. But for 3 guys who were starters at the time to leave in-season is very rare and a guy of Storr's caliber to leave in mid-January is unheard of.

There will probably be a few more departures at the end of the this season but I wouldn't be too alarmed unless we have multiple starters or an NCAA Qualifier leaving.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Really going to miss the DiBlasis as they were all in. How many parents would join the CWC board and drive 3 hours once a month for meeting on a Thursday night. They did it for 2 years before Dresser arrived. They were huge ISU supporters and Colston is a great kid. One of the most personable kids on the team so I'm sure this was an extremely hard decision to make. Hopefully, there are no hard feelings as it would be sad for Cyclone Nation to lose great people like them. Good luck to Colston and Weston in the future (BTW, my guess is N. Colorado)!

djhart69

Feb 1, 2017
Colston now gone and Weston won't be here either...

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...leave-iowa-state-wrestling-program/322363002/

The house cleaning continues...Too bad they don't want to work hard and be a part of something potentially special!

Maybe he just wants to work hard somewhere else. With Straw solidifying his spot and David Carr coming in he was probably looking at backup duty for the next 2 years, so I don't blame him for leaving. I could see him going to a D3 or NAIA and being dominant like Dalton Jensen, Joey Cozart or Ryak Finch.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I understand why he is going, can’t beat Straw, not really heavy enough for 165, his wrestling style doesn’t match the staff but I don’t get why you leave now. Room wrestlers are an important part of the team, at least that’s what they told me when I was one.

I agree with a lot of this. Straw is obviously the guy at 157, and Carr is on his way.

About 165 though, I have to think that is part of the “disagreement.” 165 has been a disaster this year. My apologies for the strong wording, but I just don’t know how else to say it. Of the 3 guys they have run out there in duals, only Jennings has shown anything really, and we don’t even know if his one big upset was a fluke or not, because we seem to be going right back to St John.

I am sure DiBlasi wasn’t blind to the non-success at the weight, yet he wasn’t even given an opportunity.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado

This year has been unusually high because of the coaching change, but in general there is a lot of turnover in college wrestling. It's just not that great of deal to be a college wrestler.. you have to really love it. A lot of guys figure that out after giving it a shot for a year or two. The majority of guys are on partial scholarships, and the time commitment is so huge that it is difficult to have much time left for academics, let alone a social life.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Some of this might be to find a spot and see if any scholarship money is available. He has a brother looking for a spot also and I assume they might want to go to the same school.

The sooner they put themselves on the market, the better the chance of finding any scholarship (academic or athletic) money

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Sucks because the family is big supporters, but we will be OK. Colston just lost to Breitenbach, then you have Jennings and St. John, PLUS Carr coming in. Losing Weston will suck too but hopefully Mackall will cover that weight.Good luck to both the brothers.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

I don't have "insider" information but I will try to explain the timing thing...

During the wrestling season, there are two types of competition: opens and duals.

Essentially, opens are just tournaments, or invitationals. They are usually run as a dual-elimination type bracket for each weight class. Two losses and then you are done, with individual places awarded to the wrestlers who advance far enough (sometimes there are team awards as well). The nice thing about opens is that you can enter multiple wrestlers in a single weight division. So, you could enter your starter in the 165 lb class as well as any back-ups/reserves you have on the team and get everyone multiple matches in a weekend. You can even enter guys who are red-shirting, although they are considered "unattached" and not a member of the team during the open. Some examples of opens would be Midlands, Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, Cliff Keen Invitational, Southern Scuffle, as well as many smaller, less prestigious opens.

Duals are team-vs-team events. 10 matches, one at each weight class. Only 10 wrestlers from the team participate and they get one match each.

Opens typically are scheduled November thru January. Duals will run until mid- to late February.

So, if you aren't a starter, your only chances to wrestle will typically be in opens and you will be finished with competitive matches by the end of January (-ish).

Therefore, while it may seem that Colston is leaving mid-season, since he isn't starting, he is actually, most likely, finished with his own competitive season. Yes, he could have stuck around for the end of the entire season, but he would just be practicing, in all likelihood. If he knows he won't be around next year, there's little incentive to continue with the program. Get the release, focus on studies for the semester, and find a new program.

I would think that this type of thing happens often in all programs, but perhaps more so this year for ISU due to the new coaching staff. Kids who were recruited by the previous staff may have wanted to give it a shot with Dresser and company, found out they don't like it, and now are making their exit. I doubt this is a sign that things are falling apart, just people getting to know each other better and determining that it's not for them.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Really going to miss the DiBlasis as they were all in. How many parents would join the CWC board and drive 3 hours once a month for meeting on a Thursday night. They did it for 2 years before Dresser arrived. They were huge ISU supporters and Colston is a great kid. One of the most personable kids on the team so I'm sure this was an extremely hard decision to make. Hopefully, there are no hard feelings as it would be sad for Cyclone Nation to lose great people like them. Good luck to Colston and Weston in the future (BTW, my guess is N. Colorado)!

Can't go Northern Colorado without sitting a year. Since that is the Big 12 transfer rule, unless there is an exemption

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I'm guessing he got a "No Big XII schools or Iowa" release, which would put Northern Colorado out unless he wants to sit for a year.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
They are a great family. I sat near them at Nationals. Great people and seemed like the family is pretty close knit. 3 boys, I think.

Reactions: CyGold

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I don't have "insider" information but I will try to explain the timing thing...

During the wrestling season, there are two types of competition: opens and duals.

Essentially, opens are just tournaments, or invitationals. They are usually run as a dual-elimination type bracket for each weight class. Two losses and then you are done, with individual places awarded to the wrestlers who advance far enough (sometimes there are team awards as well). The nice thing about opens is that you can enter multiple wrestlers in a single weight division. So, you could enter your starter in the 165 lb class as well as any back-ups/reserves you have on the team and get everyone multiple matches in a weekend. You can even enter guys who are red-shirting, although they are considered "unattached" and not a member of the team during the open. Some examples of opens would be Midlands, Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, Cliff Keen Invitational, Southern Scuffle, as well as many smaller, less prestigious opens.

Duals are team-vs-team events. 10 matches, one at each weight class. Only 10 wrestlers from the team participate and they get one match each.

Opens typically are scheduled November thru January. Duals will run until mid- to late February.

So, if you aren't a starter, your only chances to wrestle will typically be in opens and you will be finished with competitive matches by the end of January (-ish).

Therefore, while it may seem that Colston is leaving mid-season, since he isn't starting, he is actually, most likely, finished with his own competitive season. Yes, he could have stuck around for the end of the entire season, but he would just be practicing, in all likelihood. If he knows he won't be around next year, there's little incentive to continue with the program. Get the release, focus on studies for the semester, and find a new program.

I would think that this type of thing happens often in all programs, but perhaps more so this year for ISU due to the new coaching staff. Kids who were recruited by the previous staff may have wanted to give it a shot with Dresser and company, found out they don't like it, and now are making their exit. I doubt this is a sign that things are falling apart, just people getting to know each other better and determining that it's not for them.

Great summary and it makes a lot of sense after reading this.

Hey we all want Cyclone wrestling to improve and like it or not this is part of the change that needs to occur.

I am puzzled by the Storr deal as it sure appears the staff ran him off. If he is as good as he's supposed to be why wouldn't you work with a kid like that unless you are trying to send a message to the rest of the team?

• Agree
Reactions: pdxclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron