College Football Rankings according to Rivals.Com

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
NIU really makes me nervous:
BUZZ: Kill is one of the most underrated coaches in the nation, leading the Huskies to back-to-back bowls for the first time in school history and to only the second victory over a Big Ten team (beating Purdue). Last season could have been even better, as three losses came by seven or fewer points. Look for a run at the MAC title, but the Huskies must survive an early-season schedule that features games at Iowa State, Illinois and Minnesota. In all, Huskies play four of their first five and seven overall on the road.

Their defense is very good and if our O isn't on we will need to rely on the DLine to control their very good rushing game... Let's hope that the receivers aren't having a case of the dropsies on Sept. 2nd.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Exactly so how do you know what a preseason top 10 football team should look like? :wink:

At least he's being honest about his opinions, I guess.

The rankings seem about right. I'd probably put us a little higher, and I maybe would even put the Hawks a little higher. Certainly above Nebraska.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
I never said they have.

You said you know what a preseason top 10 team should look like because you're an Iowa State fan. I figured you were speaking from personal experience about an Iowa State team that was ranked preseason top 10. My bad.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Good thing they're ranked 8th, then, huh?

As for the rankings themselves, the main page doesn't really show much, but the preview page goes into more depth.

Rivals.com College Football - Preseason 120 Countdown: No. 8 Iowa

The only thing I really disagree with is that Murray is a such an amazing kicker. Yeah, he'll be remembered for that PSU kick in '08, but there is still a lot of weak spots. First, his leg isn't all that powerful. Kickoffs don't seem to travel past the 15 yard line, and I'm not entirely sure about accuracy for longer kicks. More worrying is the fact that people have noted a change in his technique, in that he's kicking more line drive kicks (perhaps to gain power?). While he was 19 of 26 last year, he missed a field goal in each of our losses, which when you consider the scores, could have been crucial in the long run.

As for Iowa State...
It looks like they're ranking you guys low for the following reasons:
1) Mistake prone QB
2) A weak defense last year, made worse by a new LB corp, and lack of depth on the line
3) Inconsistent kick game
4) A tough schedule that presumably lowers expectations for the team?

I'm not gonna argue most of your points because, well, I can't...but I don't know if our defense was weak last year. We weren't Iowa Hawkeye defense good, and our rush was weak, but the unit overall wasn't terrible.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
They say Troy and Mid Tenn State are above ISU? Lay off the crack pipe.

Honestly, I don't understand why people have a problem with Iowa ranking high. They have the best player in the conference in Adrian Clayborn, Stanzi is clutch, and Norm Parker is a defensive wiz, give them a break.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
A few things Ohio State #2, really, Iowa #8, expected. NU best team in the Big 12, um no.... We are a little low but it is just another preseason poll what do you expect.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Until they can show they will be as lucky as they were last year, I do not have Iowa any higher than 20.