College Football Claiming Poverty

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I hear federal crop insurance doesn't cover the whole loss. Barely covers the costs of some of the inputs. At least that was what it sounded like. They still have to go to the bank to make up the difference to put in next years crop.

Any farmers want to clarify?

It doesn't cover 100%. Most carry a policy that covers 85% of their annual production history. There are plans that cover yield and price. They cover loss in value due to a change in market price during a determined period in addition to loss of yield.

I was really hit on production records one year when the coop sprayed my field with the wrong product. Therefore, I had zero bushels for that year and had to take a county average.

Lots of components in crop insurance.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Weird. Why do terrible posters always try to slide in to my personal life on an internet sports message board site.

Im going to guess it has something to do with bringing your personal life to the message board. Like starting a thread asking whether you should become a republican.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Doubling down on a stupid take. That's bold.
He is definitely leaning in to them recently.
e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Thought I would bump this after JP’s latest tirade. Hard to take him seriously these days.
has anyone ever been able to take you seriously? weren't you one of the ones saying there would be no college ball this year earlier this spring/summer?? yet here we are with a weekend of play already..

• Winner
Reactions: LincolnWay187

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Poor college football......

New Alabama locker room.....

View attachment 75240

Alabama is to college football what Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are to the Forbes 500 Richest People. The Pandemic might dent their net worth, but they roll on.

That can't be said of the other 95% of college athletic programs. We are just starting hear the impact by cancelling sports, furloughing employees and laying people off.

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
I disagree with the notion that college athletic departments could have had a plan in place for what we've seen this year. But, it's completely valid to examine and question athletic budgets and spending in the situation we find ourselves in. Athletic budgets are incredibly bloated. The arms race is the reason. These programs spend huge amounts of money keeping up with the Joneses. Massive coaching salaries, endless facility updates, huge recruiting budgets, etc. It all gets inflated because people are afraid that if their program didn't spend the cash, then the ones that do will get an advantage.

And that's not necessarily wrong. But it's worth acknowledging, and examining in a time like this, and consider making changes in priority. Significant change isn't likely to happen, but it's not wrong to consider it at a time like this.

Very much agree, and then one of the first things the cash rich athletic department does is suggest shutting down the cash poor arts center, which is it responsible for maintaining. This was a very poor PR move.

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
has anyone ever been able to take you seriously? weren't you one of the ones saying there would be no college ball this year earlier this spring/summer?? yet here we are with a weekend of play already..

See, you just jumped to conclusions...I just started the thread asking others when they thought CFB would be cancelled. I never said it would be cancelled. I’m pretty sure I never entered a date in to the pool. You’re just a hater and a looser.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
See, you just jumped to conclusions...I just started the thread asking others when they thought CFB would be cancelled. I never said it would be cancelled. I’m pretty sure I never entered a date in to the pool. You’re just a hater and a looser.
If you are going to call someone a loser, you should probably learn how to spell it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron