College Athletes, Bowl Games & Gifts

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've never understood how these gifts were allowed. I know, I know "they don't get paid to play so it's ok if they get a few gifts here and there." But it still doesn't make sense to me. :skeptical:

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
even the guys who never play get these...dang. How many of these guys sell the clothing stuff to get what they want, like electronics.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
I personally think its stupid and wrong for them to get these gifts. The idea of how bad these are get brought up every year and yet nothing happens. Personally i think it was smart to give them $500 to best buy and let them figure out what they want

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
My cousin works in the strength and conditioning dept. as a PhD student at LSU and he even gets these gifts. I just emailed him the link and told him he was getting a Wii.

Last year he got an IPod, portable DVD player, amongst many other things from the Sugar Bowl.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
And we wonder why players think it's ok to receive illegal gifts. Way to practice what you preach NCAA. "It's alright to accept these gifts as long as your going to a bowl game for any school. If you go to :Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, or any other big name school, you may accept gifts at any time."

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't see a problem with this. Each school who makes a bowl game is allowed to spend so much for player gifts. When we went to the Insight and first Independence Bowls the coaches let us players vote on what we wanted for out major gift (i.e. bowl rings or toys, we voted rings) on top of that the bowl game is allowed to give you gifts up to a certain amount.

I don't see why this is a problem it is a LEGAL rewardfor making a bowl game. This is also one of the main reasons I like the bowl system over the playoff system.

I will brain storm and put up a list later of all the goodies I got for going to the Insight and Independence Bowls.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The issue is that with the publicity these are getting they bound to become recruiting tools. Granted, I'm guessing coaches don't go out saying come here and you'll get a wii, but kids pay attention.

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
I don't see a problem with this. Each school who makes a bowl game is allowed to spend so much for player gifts. When we went to the Insight and first Independence Bowls the coaches let us players vote on what we wanted for out major gift (i.e. bowl rings or toys, we voted rings) on top of that the bowl game is allowed to give you gifts up to a certain amount.

I don't see why this is a problem it is a LEGAL rewardfor making a bowl game. This is also one of the main reasons I like the bowl system over the playoff system.

I will brain storm and put up a list later of all the goodies I got for going to the Insight and Independence Bowls.

I don't have a problem with the school giving gifts to the players. I don't like that a 3rd party (bowl promoters) gives gifts to the players.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Here's the problem that I have with it. Time and again we hear that student athletes cannot be provided with anything above and beyond what a normal student gets. If this is correct, wouldn't they have to buy something for each person on campus in order to make this correct?

I don't really expect anybody who played college football to say "You know you're right. I shouldn't have gotten/be getting these gifts. I think I will give them back."

If an athletic team member is to be treated the same as a regular student, then these gifts whould not be legal. Of course the NCAA isn't going to put a stop to it. College footbal is too much of a money maker.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Don't these gifts help out with recruiting? "If you come here, you'll get a free wii."

Again, I think that would be against the rules. You can't offer special privelages/gifts to get a recruit to come to your school.

OK, can't might not be the right word. You're not supposed to.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The reason why this is allowed by the NCAA is very simple.

The NCAA, and the member institutions :skeptical:, make a butt-load of money off the bowls and their sponsors, and not off some semi-pro league in Europe.

All one needs to know about how the NCAA works is to figure out who has the most $$$

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I like it, It is incentive for the players. They know that if they make bowl season, they are going to get some goodies, it just adds to the want for alot of the guys. I know alot of guys were really excited to get the stuff. Its just the nature of the business.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
So on the one hand, you have Lucca, who received absolutely no compensation or gifts of any kind, and is forced is sit for a whole year because two of his teammates did, and your players in this country receiving lavish toys that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford on their own income (presumably). To me the distinction between these two scenarios is incredibly murky. It just adds to the NCAA's hypocrisy concerning what is allowed and what is not.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron