Cody Fisher

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
It seems like the trend has gone back to the 270+ pound hwt (aside from Snyder, who was just a freak) but I'd take Zabriskie 2.0
You mean like the beginning of this year trend? I mean barring an injury what makes you think 225 pound Anthony Cassar woudnt be the #1 HW at this point? Next year PSU will be rolling out Kerk and he wont be a full 270 either but will likely be a top guy.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I had the same thought at state which was my first time really watching Fisher. I was really impressed with his wrestling, but man is he short. It seems like that could cause him some trouble at heavy.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I had the same thought at state which was my first time really watching Fisher. I was really impressed with his wrestling, but man is he short. It seems like that could cause him some trouble at heavy.

That mean he will be 174 and take over for Colbray!!!

• Funny
Reactions: stuclone

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Do we know what weight he plans to wrestle? Seems like he might be too small for HWT?
I am not a very knowledgeable wrestling fan, but I had the same question. He looked short to me. Will he go 197 or heavyweight? I kind of assumed 197 due to his lack of height.
Also a question - is there any discussion of redistributing the weights? It just seems to me you need something around 220 at the college level. Please inform a guy who is dumb about wrestling, but enjoys it and wants to learn.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
You mean like the beginning of this year trend? I mean barring an injury what makes you think 225 pound Anthony Cassar woudnt be the #1 HW at this point? Next year PSU will be rolling out Kerk and he wont be a full 270 either but will likely be a top guy.

Fair point. Trend wasn't the right word. I guess he was kind of out of sight out of mind, plus he and White from Oky State were finalists last year after being former 197 pounders. This year though, the top end of the guys that are active are pretty big boys.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

Maybe he can be the next Chris Bono whom I always thought was very short for his weight class. I do wonder if there have been any really short (and lighter) heavy weights in years past. I was really impressed with him at State and hope he can continue to improve.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Maybe he can be the next Chris Bono whom I always thought was very short for his weight class. I do wonder if there have been any really short (and lighter) heavy weights in years past. I was really impressed with him at State and hope he can continue to improve.
For the past year, I watch him and I see a poor man's Kyle Conel

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I don’t think Fisher is being counted on to make the lineup. Would be a pleasant surprise if he’s a high level D1 guy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is Cody from WG or is he from Madrid? Was thinking he was from Madrid when he was in elementary school.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Is Cody from WG or is he from Madrid? Was thinking he was from Madrid when he was in elementary school.
My understanding is Madrid, but they don’t have a wrestling team.

Last edited:

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Fair question

I suppose Fisher could do heavy, but he really looks more like he would do better leaning out into 197, but that's just the eye test.

I'd rather see Duggan hit the weights like a madman and see how he would do at heavy, post-Gremmel.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I suppose Fisher could do heavy, but he really looks more like he would do better leaning out into 197, but that's just the eye test.

I'd rather see Duggan hit the weights like a madman and see how he would do at heavy, post-Gremmel.
I agree on Duggan. We need him to be a heavy!

And we need to focus on a transfer heavy if one comes available. In Intermat's top 20 rankings for 285, 18 of them are already verbal'd for football or wrestling. Only 2 juniors that aren't committed yet. Not getting a recruit for heavyweight this year means we need to rely on Duggan or Fisher once Gremmel is done. There is even the possibility of Gremmel being done after this year.

There likely won't be a true freshman available and ready to step into the lineup for 2021/22.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Well, how tall is he?

Snyder is only 5-11. I think Steve Mocco was shorter than that.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I agree on Duggan. We need him to be a heavy!

And we need to focus on a transfer heavy if one comes available. In Intermat's top 20 rankings for 285, 18 of them are already verbal'd for football or wrestling. Only 2 juniors that aren't committed yet. Not getting a recruit for heavyweight this year means we need to rely on Duggan or Fisher once Gremmel is done. There is even the possibility of Gremmel being done after this year.

There likely won't be a true freshman available and ready to step into the lineup for 2021/22.
I have no inside info and it's probably a pipe dream, but you have to think Seth Neville will be transferring away from PSU with Kerk coming in.