Coach McDermott email to students

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Warder60

Jun 2, 2006
Denver
Thought it would be nice to share --

December 10, 2007
Dear Iowa State Student and Cyclone Fan,

I want to say “THANK YOU!” for your awesome support of the Cyclones on Saturday vs. Iowa. I cannot tell you just how important your presence at our basketball games is to our team and to me. The student body, Cyclone Alley and the Cyclone fans have been just incredible!

I want to pass along well wishes as you complete your final exams and finish this semester. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday and safe travels to and from home.

As you know, we have been struggling through a series of misfortunes that have impacted our team in a number of ways. The injury bug has bitten us pretty hard (Jiri - broken ankle, Rahshon - tendonitis in his knee, Wesley - serious joint capsule injury in his ankle) and the ongoing eligibility issue with Lucca have hurt us not only in games, but also in our preparation. We have had almost 50 practices to date. We have yet to have had an entire practice with everyone healthy to participate. Although we play shorthanded at times, our goal is that we will not lack effort, hustle and enthusiasm. I want our team to demonstrate the same “PASSION” that you, our student body, demonstrates every game.

As I have said in the past and still feel this way; I love being the men’s head basketball coach at Iowa State University. Being a Cyclone is as exciting as I had hoped and dreamed it would be. I am proud to be representing ISU, our alums, fans and especially you, the students. The friendships, camaraderie and the entire experience of college life is such a special time. I want Cyclone Basketball to be one of your special memories as you pass through Iowa State.

I want to thank you again for your past support and invite you to continue to support the Cyclones as we finish our non-conference schedule and head into the Big 12 part of our season.

I hope to see you at Hilton!

Go Cyclones!

XBZQADIYFITYXRC.20061213175653.gif

Greg McDermott
Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Iowa State University

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Bravo to Coach Mac. I truly believe that if we had our team at 100 percent (injury-free and with Lucca), we'd be miles ahead of where we are now. And I'm confident that at this time next year, barring any more major injuries, we'll all be much more excited about where this program is headed.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I was just about to post that, McDermott is such a great guy, and an incredible coach, despite what way too many armchair point guards tend to believe recently

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Thank you for posting that - it is great for us Alums to see that McD is really invested in the program and puts a great deal of emphasis on you students!

mojo

Apr 13, 2006
Manchester, NH
He's a high class coach, I don't think we could've done any better by bringing anyone else to ISU, I have complete faith he's going to leave a legacy just as or perhaps even stronger than Johnny Orr's.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Im surprised he didnt mention please refrain from yelling "clap, clap, clap, clap, clap U SUCK! " Or the "We're gonna beat the fudge outta you, and you and you and you n you n you!"

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Class act, I hope he is here for the current students to be long term NCC members and season ticket holders because of stuff like this.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Is this for real? I think I like it, but it seems odd to point out the obvious about injury's and Lucca?
Yes, it's real... Why would someone forge a letter from Mac to students just to try and trick the good folks on CF?

Anyway, the majority of students are unaware of all the troubles the team is having, so it's good that he informed them. Not everyone is as hopelessly addicted to sports message boards as we are!

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Why do I not get these emails? My student loans say I attend ISU and I have basketball tickets. Anybody have an explaination?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I am certainly not trying to impugn McDermott's character but this is really not that big of a deal.

With the technology of the internet it is relatively easy to send out a broadcast message like this. In fact, coaches all over the country are doing this. It is not happening just at ISU.

Some of you are acting like the guy sat down and wrote 25,000 thank you cards after the Iowa game. It is likely that all he probably did was take a couple of minutes to dictate this and have his administrative assistant send it out to all students.

Again, I like it and think it's great, but it really is not that big of a deal.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Again, I like it and think it's great, but it really is not that big of a deal.

Has any coach here at Iowa State ever done this? Not that I know of, so it is a big deal. The students and fans are getting acknowleged for something good (rather than bad). I have not been a student for over 10 years, and I think it is pretty cool. So lighten up and quit pizzen in everyones cheerios.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Has any coach here at Iowa State ever done this? Not that I know of, so it is a big deal. The students and fans are getting acknowleged for something gooe (rather than bad). I have not been a student for over 10 years, and I think it is pretty cool. So lighten up and quit pizzen in everyones cheerios.

Yeah you have been kind of a crab-bottom lately cyclones#1 :sad:
Cheer up, today's going to be a better day :biggrin: