Coach Mac give me something to be excited about!

B Clone

Apr 16, 2006
Polk County
The frustration of being a season basketball ticket holder has really hit me hard again this year. I really like Coach Mac but I'm beginning to question if he is the right fit for Iowa State. He has done a good job with players that he inherited from Coach Morgan and has brought a few players in that look like they are Big 12 caliber but Iowa State is still long ways away from being a top half team in the Big 12 Conference. I really wish Coach Mac and the Clones could pick off a game that they are not suppose to win. All you have to do is look to the west a couple hours over in Lincoln and see what Nebraska has done lately, by picking off three games in a row that they had no business winning, K-State, Oklahoma and AT Texas A&M, they are 17-9 and I would say they have compariable talent as Iowa State. What they have done with these wins has sold hope for the future of their program and kept fans interest. Mac doesn't have that top 25 surprise victory over a team that they shouldn't beat. Then you look that we are losing Rashan and Jiri two good players on a below average team, what does our future look like. To me things look bleak and I hope lots of talent is on its way. Iowa State needs excitement around the basketball program and over the past couple years there has been nothing to grab and build on that excitement. A strong finish could help the future, but a 0-3 finish and a first round loss in the Big 12 Tournament, wow the heat will have to start getting turned on!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Re: Coach Mac give me something to be exicted about!

B Clone - interesting pic in your post! What caused you to like that shot so much? What caused that situation that is playing out in your pic?

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

i know it has been talked about alot.. but i will say it again.. his break out year at every school he has been at is the 3rd year.. well next year is the 3rd year.. and next year.. we will have guards that were on the team the year before..

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

How exactly do you think Nebby has the same talent as we? Is it the number of walk-ons starting for both teams? Is the depth of experience and physical presence of both teams? Is it the deep bench of both teams?

Don't know what to tell you. We're still a good year or two away from being a middle of the pack team. To think we can instantly be a top 4 team just because we want it is naive. CU wants it, as does Nebby, TTech, Baylor, MU, OkSt..... We have to build this thing not just wish it were so.

8 scholarship players left between the time GMac signed on and he had to sign his first recruiting class. He knew of a few that were leaving, but certainly not all. Unless you live in Happyland, to think you can replace 8 scholarship athletes (but only sign 5 a year) at the very last minute and be competitive is goofy.

GMac and JP both knew it was a longer-term rebuilding process. Let it happen and look for the small victories.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

Oh, boy...not again.

Where fans have the right to be upset about the lack of success this year and last, there should be absolutely no heat placed on the coaching staff yet. How would any coach do with the myriad of injuries, defections, and ineligibilities the coaching staff has had to deal with?

If we are healthy this year, we have at least 3 more wins, which would have us at 17 wins right now. Not great, but not too bad considering the rebuilding job that is underway.

Have some patience beyond a couple of years, please. The program will be better for it.

B Clone

Apr 16, 2006
Polk County

Ok, so hopefully our guards do come, and actually stay, whom are we going to replace Jiri with? There are still lots of questions and holes on this team and next years club.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I guess people have conveniently forgotten McDermott's initial press conference (and our constant reminders) where he warned the fan base that this was not going to be an overnight fix.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Well, it's 3:00 the day after a loss, time for the "is McDermott the right fit for ISU" thread :no:

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Ok, so hopefully our guards do come, and actually stay, whom are we going to replace Jiri with? There are still lots of questions and holes on this team and next years club.

We have Alex Thompson, Craig Brackins, Cory Johnson, and i expect to see Wesley Johnson playin some PF next Year

Clinton Mann and Justin Hamilton coming in as freshmen, and maybe another Big but that is yet to be determined

We will have more Depth at the Guard spot since WM left

Future is Def BRIGHT u just have to allow things to happen u cant seriously expect a team like iowa state to have a good year this year when u have no guards returning and u are starting 2 walkon guards(who are pretty good) and on top of that getting screwed over by the ncaa with lucca

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

That's a legitimate question that's been discussed here a lot. A better question, IMO, than questioning whether Mac is a good fit at this point.

I think we become a much more perimeter oriented team, and while that sounds bad when you think about all the threes chucked up this year, we will be a much better perimeter shooting team as well.

Brackins is going to get the Jiri treatment, and be told to keep his butt down low and a guy like AT and Clinton Mann is going to have to bring the rebounding and toughness.

We certainly have holes to fill, and we may not be much better next year, but our luck is bound to be better, and I still think we are on the right path.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines

The thing I've been most disappointed with is the fact that Brackins defense is still junior high...expected to see him grow here throughout the year, but it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006

I agree with the idea behind the original post, though. There hasn't been much to get fans excited about. People believe in Gmac because of his reputation and rightfully so but he hasn't given the normal ISU fan much to believe in yet. I don't think that's bashing Greg at all, it's just been a difficult season. Hopefully next season can bring us more flashes of what Greg will hopefully do here, even though I'm still expecting next year to be a struggle. I think next season we can win a couple more games and maybe get that signature "upset" that we've been searching for to cap it off.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

The thing I've been most disappointed with is the fact that Brackins defense is still junior high...expected to see him grow here throughout the year, but it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

I don't think it's gotten worse, just exploited more.

I'm sure this will be an emphasis along with building strength in the offseason.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006

Hope you're ready to write a big check because ISU can't afford to change things now. JP has given GM a year extention the past 2 seasons...so obviously JP sees improvement. Not to mention, you would probably have to get rid of JP too. Everybody is frustrated, but there are a lot of things that go on that the average fan does not see.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006

Clinton Mann and Justin Hamilton coming in as freshmen, and maybe another Big but that is yet to be determined

Did you mean Big but ... or Big butt? Or both?:biglaugh:

butt.gif

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

This isn't a rip on coach, because I think he is the right fit for us.

But how many real scorers do we have on the team? Maybe two. Jiri and Wesley. Outside of them we're getting no consistent production from anyone else. You're not going to win games like that.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I think the entire basketball team should spend the summer with Shep and the football team. Each of them will put on 20 lbs of sheer muscle and will develop a mental toughness that goes with hanging around with such a character :yes:

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006

Kudos to the several people in this thread that respected the original posters opinion, but logicially debated.

While I don't agree that GMac would be on the hot seat if we lose out, too often it seems people can't respect a negative opinion just as much as they respect the opinion of those that say everything will be fine in year three. It's ok to disagree, but honestly I've seen just as many positive "be patient" posts as I have seen negative "I have doubt" posts, but those that start the positive ones don't get mocked for it. If we don't have people with the oposing views, we're going to have mostly posts about the Cubs, and other off-topic discussions, which I'm personally not really here for (though I know some are).