Coach K

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
LOL at the people who think Bruns would be brought in. He wasn't even the head OL guy at Valley. Love the guy, great football mind, but coaching OL is something that takes years of working your way up to do. You don't see very many young OL coaches at high levels unless your old man is the head coach. So many nuances to it.

Yeah but Bruns gets it. Ben has a brilliant football mind and would be a great coach. Pretty sure he would get snagged up if he wanted it, fact is he is likely making 300k+ now working 9-5 and spending time with his kids. If Brian Ferentz can coach a position group in the NFL and at Iowa Ben certainly can. I have known Ben since he went to HS from camps and even then he knew more about the X's and o's than most coaches at any level. He is really smart and has a great demeanor had he wanted to coach more than as a a volunteer assistant at Valley he could. Reese Morgan who coached O - line at Iowa for 9 seasons producing a ton of NFL talent was my O - line (and HC) in High School and I would take Ben as an O - Line coach over Morgan in a heart beat (though Morgan is an amazing motivator and confidence builder, he knew just the right way to get the most out of each player using different approaches with each of us with an uncanny ability to know what makes you tick so that can translate to any position coach really but he was not a master of fundamentals by any means or X's and o's).

Last edited:

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
I know you don't want to give anything away, but I am very interested in the specifics of what was going on. Now that he is gone it can't cause to much harm to reveal what actually happened.

But like you said as time goes on someone will spill the beans eventually.

I have it on good authority Klenakis hated puppy dogs. Or was it teddy bears? Either way, he was a bad guy. Good riddance.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
LOL at the people who think Bruns would be brought in. He wasn't even the head OL guy at Valley. Love the guy, great football mind, but coaching OL is something that takes years of working your way up to do. You don't see very many young OL coaches at high levels unless your old man is the head coach. So many nuances to it.

Plus he has a far more lucrative career outside of football.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It's pretty hard to beat what Bruns has for a job. He gets to see his kids on a regular basis and can still give live reports on gamedays. I'd say he's getting the best of both worlds.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Once Mangino was hired as OC, I kinda wanted to see Coach K go. Now that I see he wasn't well liked by the OL, it only reinforces that for me.

I just didn't want to see friction occur between what Mangino wanted to do with the offense and how Coach K wanted to instruct the OL.

So I see this as a big positive. Let Mangino tell Rhoads who he wants and go get him IMO. We want everyone on the same page.

flips-flops-work-craeer-dress-outfit-summer-office-appearance2.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron