Coach Hayden Fry Passes Away at age 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Just wished he would of passed away in say, April. Instead, he'll be a huge topic here before our bowl games, everyone will be hopped up about "win it for Hayden" and it will for sure overshadow us if both teams win and if just THEY win and not us? UGH, the greatness that is Hayden Fry and ISU has never had anyone remote to his legacy, blah blah, blah.
:D

For one night can we not care about how this affects the cyclones? He was a hall of fame coach, at least have one night of respect.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Okay, sorry. I'm sorry you read my thoughts this evening. Forget that occurred, re-read them in the morning and see if they make any F-ING DIFFERENCE! :D

Ok how about this then - no matter when I read it - how about we don’t care how someone passing away will affect how much media attention we may or may not get. The football offseason is very long and anything deserving will get talked about eventually. Let the multitude of lives Hayden Fry touched have their moment, heck he even indirectly affected isu with McCarney.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sure, he was a great coach, and a Hawkeye legend, and for the most part a great guy, but he will always be the guy who tried to eliminate Iowa State's football program.
giphy.gif

Reactions: GTO

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Never took it easy on ISU, but we were a doormat....left a legacy though RIP

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Sure, he was a great coach, and a Hawkeye legend, and for the most part a great guy, but he will always be the guy who tried to eliminate Iowa State's football program.

I met him in Ames once late in 1986. Asked him why he was in town. Said he was meeting with our AD to convince Iowa State to hire his OC.

So, yeah he tried his best to bury Iowa State football in the 80s. He also tried to get us to hire Bill Synder and not Jim Walden...

He was also very nice and talked to a couple of college punks like we were actual adults. Forever changed my opinion of the man.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Just wished he would of passed away in say, April. Instead, he'll be a huge topic here before our bowl games, everyone will be hopped up about "win it for Hayden" and it will for sure overshadow us if both teams win and if just THEY win and not us? UGH, the greatness that is Hayden Fry and ISU has never had anyone remote to his legacy, blah blah, blah.

P.S. Back in the 80's, I was a fan of BOTH Iowa and ISU, but due to the fact that Iowa was always good in f'ball/basketball and ISU was OK in basketball but terrible in football (and rarely ever on TV, in ANY sports), it was hard not to root/follow Iowa sports, here in the NW part of the state. Thankfully, I began dating a girl going to Iowa and had a chance to see/hear firsthand the ARROGANT attitude of Iowa fans and it turned me off so much that I put my complete allegiance to IOWA STATE! :D

Speaking of blah, blah, blah. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Never took it easy on ISU, but we were a doormat....left a legacy though RIP
People forget that when Fry took over at Iowa, ISU had a very good football program. Majors and then Bruce had things rolling. I think Fry knew with the small amount of D1 talent in state he had to try and corner that market. Like I posted earlier....Duncan had just as much to do with ISU's "demise" as Fry. Bruce left Duncan a full cupboard....his first team was ranked pre-season and I believe was ranked top 10 for a minute after a win against Missou.....

Anyway, Duncan sucked....tried to recruit like his mentor Barry Switzer....didn't value keeping in-state talent and when he left the cupboard was bare.

Fry's passing makes me feel old....appreciate the classy remarks in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron