Coach Hayden Fry Passes Away at age 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Iowa has had only two coaches since I was preschool age, and I'm in my middle 40s.

He's got quite a legacy in IC that I imagine won't be forgotten. I won't forget getting beat 57-3.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Respect to him for what he did for Iowa and for college FB. A character, winner, and son of a gun all in one.

Also....does this mean the tavern Hawks can start naming their kids and dogs Kirk now?

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
From what I’ve heard from other people around that age, not necessarily.
I won’t pretend to be an expert on that timeframe of CFB, but him signing Jerry LeVias was huge according to relatives that were around. I myself was born in 85, so I go by my seniors accounts

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You'll catch some flack over this, but I commend your courage for saying what many of us were thinking.

You have to leave the fandom behind at certain times.

Our hatred of Fry betrays a begrudging respect and acknowledge of his accomplishments.

I do not think of his passing the way I will for, say, Art Briles.

When he goes, it is going to be "not soon enough, hope he gets what he deserves."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I won’t pretend to be an expert on that timeframe of CFB, but him signing Jerry LeVias was huge according to relatives that were around. I myself was born in 85, so I go by my seniors accounts

Know guys from 60s and 70s that were given money and one offered a car while being recruited. One older friend of mine, about 35 years or so on me, would talk about jobs that players could get that others couldn’t.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
Just wished he would of passed away in say, April. Instead, he'll be a huge topic here before our bowl games, everyone will be hopped up about "win it for Hayden" and it will for sure overshadow us if both teams win and if just THEY win and not us? UGH, the greatness that is Hayden Fry and ISU has never had anyone remote to his legacy, blah blah, blah.

P.S. Back in the 80's, I was a fan of BOTH Iowa and ISU, but due to the fact that Iowa was always good in f'ball/basketball and ISU was OK in basketball but terrible in football (and rarely ever on TV, in ANY sports), it was hard not to root/follow Iowa sports, here in the NW part of the state. Thankfully, I began dating a girl going to Iowa and had a chance to see/hear firsthand the ARROGANT attitude of Iowa fans and it turned me off so much that I put my complete allegiance to IOWA STATE! :D

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Just wished he would of passed away in say, April. Instead, he'll be a huge topic here before our bowl games, everyone will be hopped up about "win it for Hayden" and it will for sure overshadow us if both teams win and if just THEY win and not us? UGH, the greatness that is Hayden Fry and ISU has never had anyone remote to his legacy, blah blah, blah.

P.S. Back in the 80's, I was a fan of BOTH Iowa and ISU, but due to the fact that Iowa was always good in f'ball/basketball and ISU was OK in basketball but terrible in football (and rarely ever on TV, in ANY sports), it was hard not to root/follow Iowa sports, here in the NW part of the state. Thankfully, I began dating a girl going to Iowa and had a chance to see/hear firsthand the ARROGANT attitude of Iowa fans and it turned me off so much that I put my complete allegiance to IOWA STATE! :D
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron