• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If anyone really wants to compare the coaching of CPR vs CMC, I encourage you to rewatch the 2015 KSU vs ISU game in Manhattan. We were up 3 touchdowns at halftime. Go and watch the last 2 minutes of the game, when KSU scored 10 points in the last 30 seconds. We had the game won (or at the very least overtime), and all we had to do was down the football. CPR called for a Lanning run, where was immediately tackled, and fumbled the ball. KSU kicked the game winning FG as time expired.

99.9% of coaches would have won that game, or played for overtime. Somehow, CPR found a way to lose that game. Watch the last 2 minutes of that game, then try to compare CPR as a coach to CMC. Good luck.

If you post that video and I'll post video of my last colonoscopy. Promise or a threat - it doesn't matter.

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: DurangoCy and NWICY

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's not as bad as when we were up 20-0 on Todd Reesing at the Jack

Edit. The Kstate game kneel down was worse but I wasnt at it.

We really don't need to revisit great Cyclone failures of the past.
What in the world is going on around here? The game was bad enough without dredging up all the other bad games we've played.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
  • Sad
Reactions: CycoCyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I disagree. He might not be the best coach around, but anyone that can take Iowa State to a bowl game deserves some credit. CPR took us to three bowl games.
Agreed. But the way the way that thing crashed and burned at the end, he will always have bad taste in people’s mouths.

Reactions: CyBobby

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
Inconsistent teams struggle to maintain momentum on the recruiting trail. That has to be a concern of Campbell and his staff. Coaching at this level is an unforgiving business. First you have to install your system and get players to buy into it in order to turn things around. Then, if you want to keep improving, you have to start winning games. Then, if you manage to win some games and start to build a name for yourself, you have to use that to build momentum on the recruiting trail in order to take the next step as a program.

It isn’t a difficult concept, but it’s hard to do. Winning is hard. The little things matter a great deal, and there is a small window for success. This season felt like it could be the year Campbell really puts ISU on the map. The way this season began is pretty concerning that isn’t going to happen. They need to turn it around and turn it around fast.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I feel like if you're going to make this type of thread then you should at least be accurate. Campbell had to clean up the mess Rhoads left.

it’s not exactly like Chizik has a great successful run at Iowa State and then moved on.I will never forget when Chizik left and we were all saying “who is gonna clean up this mess”

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Through 52 games:

CPR: 24-28
Home: 15 wins (12 losses)
Home vs ranked: 1 win (8 losses)
Away vs ranked: 3 wins (7 losses)
Bowls: 1 win NR Minnesota (2 losses NR Tulsa, NR Rutgers)
Conference: 12 wins (20 losses)
VS Iowa: 2-2

CMC: 26-26
Home: 16 wins (11 losses)
Home vs ranked: 3 wins (6 losses)
Away vs ranked: 2 wins (5 losses)
Bowls: 1 win #19 Memphis (2 losses #15 ND, #12 Wazzu)
Conference: 18 wins (18 losses)
VS Iowa: 0-4

And this is about the point in CPR's tenure when he ran out of Chizik's recruits and had to rely on his own, which is when the decline started.

• Winner

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
To me, the biggest difference between the two is that Rhoads could really concentrate on a single game, come up with a plan, execute it well and pull off a big win, but he showed me nothing about program building. Similar to Walden.

Meanwhile, Campbell can see the big picture and doing what needs to be done to make ISU an annual player. He's figured out October, but September is still a mystery, and November is tough for teams without super depth.

I'm not too concerned about last week, as Louisiana is a good team. I expect Iowa State to come with a strong game @ TCU and get off t a 1-0 Big Xii start. I still think the Cyclones have a great chance to make the Big Xii Championship Game and should (at least) still be in the race heading into November.

Just my onion.
Let's Go State!
Beat the Toads!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
And this is about the point in CPR's tenure when he ran out of Chizik's recruits and had to rely on his own, which is when the decline started.
Amen Brother when the likes of Osemele and Company left ISU, Rhoads recruiting failures doomed his job here in Ames......Its rare when any coach loses to KState one afternoon and gets FIRED THE NEXT MORNING.......
GO CYCLONES BEAT THE FROGGIES

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
If anyone really wants to compare the coaching of CPR vs CMC, I encourage you to rewatch the 2015 KSU vs ISU game in Manhattan. We were up 3 touchdowns at halftime. Go and watch the last 2 minutes of the game, when KSU scored 10 points in the last 30 seconds. We had the game won (or at the very least overtime), and all we had to do was down the football. CPR called for a Lanning run, where was immediately tackled, and fumbled the ball. KSU kicked the game winning FG as time expired.

99.9% of coaches would have won that game, or played for overtime. Somehow, CPR found a way to lose that game. Watch the last 2 minutes of that game, then try to compare CPR as a coach to CMC. Good luck.
Not to belabor the memory, but I thought Mike Warren was the one who fumbled twice (including the end of game fumble.)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not to belabor the memory, but I thought Mike Warren was the one who fumbled twice (including the end of game fumble.)

4th-quarter possessions (ISU up 35-28)
ISU - punt
KSU - punt
ISU - Warren fumble
KSU - downs
ISU - punt
KSU - downs
ISU - Warren fumble
KSU - TD (35-35)
ISU - Lanning sack/fumble
KSU - FG (35-38)
ISU - last play, laterals everywhere, fumble

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

CPR tried to slow the meltdown by trying for a frantic drive after KSU scored instead of taking a knee and recouping for OT.

It didn't work.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored