Cliff Keen Invitational December 6-7

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Carr wins his consi match 9-0 over unseeded Wright from Fresno St. Will have winner of Coleman/Thomas for third.

Reactions: LindenCy

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
GG was in on Lance's leg (Nebraska) throughout the match but was never able to convert. With about 30 secs left in the third, Lance was in deep on a single and GG was able to spin out and cover for the takedown. After a late escape, GG tacks on a last second take down to win 5-2.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
GG was in on Lance's leg (Nebraska) throughout the match but was never able to convert. With about 30 secs left in the third, Lance was in deep on a single and GG was able to spin out and cover for the takedown. After a late escape, GG tacks on a last second take down to win 5-2.

Will have Ordndorff for third.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
Mackall wins a fast pace match against Courtney of ASU 7-5. Good last match of the tournament - still think it is a disappointing finish (5th as the 2 seed).

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
This tournament = a mixture of good and bag for the team.

125: Needs to finish out with a win. Semi match was a toss up. Would have liked to have seen it be closer. Loss to Prata a bad loss. Good win over Courtney for 5th. Like someone said, spent too much time riding in his losses when letting the guy up made way more sense.
133: Good surprise. Has turned things around quite a bit since that Home-opener dual loss. He has a very winnable match for 3rd as well. Too bad if Gomez comes back, it drops Small out of the lineup.
141: This type of tournament should get him into the top 10 nationally. Beat Demas last year, see if he can do it again.
149: Injuries are always a big worry. He was having a solid tournament, doing what was expected. The match vs Sasso would have been great to see.
157: A win over Coleman makes for a decent tournament. Had a close match with Thomas, and then was controlled by Deakin, which was surprising. I thought it was a toss up. Have to remember, Deakin beat James Green in freestyle. Green and Carr have similar offensive styles.
165: Just a bad tournament. Need more than that.
174: Hit and miss. Skatzka was a big win. Then Coleman lays an egg after that. Skatzka is now going for third. Needs consistency.
184: Tough draw. Beating Embree set him up with a worse draw in consolation. Was hoping for a better showing against Darmstadt still.
197: Weakness for the team. Had higher expectations coming into the season.
285: Great tournament so far. A win for 3rd would be a good upset. Overall, should climb in the rankings a few spots.

So far, about half the lineup has had a good weekend, a few with below expectations, and a couple who are just weak spots. Lets see how the team finishes up.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I've seen some disappointment in the board based on results and I gotta say I'm pretty proud of the guys. Full disclosure, I watched most of Friday's matches, but was only able to catch 1st/3rd matches tonight. The rest is from a review of the brackets.

125 - Seeded 2nd - Finished 5th: Slightly disappointing finish. The Semi's loss was a tossup. Loss in the Conso-semis was pretty bad, but bounced back for a good win in the 5th place match.

133 - Unseeded - Finished 4th. Very impressive finish. Hung in there with the eventual champ and then made a huge run through the backside. Even the loss in the 3rd place match was because of one move. I'm still adjusting to this "neutral danger' rule. Seems sometimes they only award a TD and sometimes they award TD + back. Todd gave up 6 on a fluke scramble at the end of the first and wasn't able to overcome it.

141 - Seeded 6 - Finished 4th. Great tournament for Ian. McKee is the real deal and a tough matchup. Really impressed he was able to handle Red. Demas overpowered him in the 3rd place match. I know he's beaten Dom before, but will need a new strategy if it's to ever happen again.

149 - Seeded 2 - Finished 6th. Was on pace to finish to seed or better if not for the injury. Even with, really impressed he toughed it out to get to the Semis before defaulting. Here's to hoping it's not that serious. The good news is Leisure is probably one of our best backups. It will be a step down from Degen for sure, but not as much as some other weights (if necessary).

157 - Seeded 3 - Finished 3. David wrested well. He's never going to be Cael who dominated everyone. Hopefully, by his Jr/Sr year he will be a Nolf, but remember even then Nolf had some close matches (Hidlay). Deakin is on a tear and may be a darkhorse for the Hodge trophy. Hopefully, David can close the gap by Nationals.

165 - Unseeded - DNP - Chase had a decent showing against #3 Fogerty but couldn't finish when he got in on his shots. Didn't see his backside match, so no idea what happened there, but it wasn't pretty. I have a feeling Chase will keep improving and peak at the end of the year like last.

174 - Seeded 12 - DNP (same thing) - Coleman had a huge win on the front side over #5 Skatzka who ended up 4th (should have been 3rd). Then ran into AValencia who is wrestling well and finally had a tossup match with Hastings in which he got killed. So high and low I guess.

184 - Seeded 8 - DNP - Sam was a victim of seeding here, which is his own fault. He would not have been seeded 8th without the loss to Brands. That said, getting Zahid and then Darmaset on the backside was unfortunate. Darmaset will be a bad matchup for Sam forever due to height difference.

197 - Unseeded - DNP - It looks to me like Joel is outhorsed at 197. He had some decent shots but just got rolled over. At this point, I wonder if Duggan wouldn't be a better option physical-wise until Joel can grow into the weight.

285 - Seeded 7th - Finished 4th - Fantastic tournament for Gannon! Only losses were to #2 seed Orndorff twice and he closed the gap in the 3rd place match. I do think Orndorff is a bit overratted and Gannon can beat him, but nontheless, good tourny for GG.

Overall, I'm very happy and hope we can build off this. Hope Degen is not out too long and Austin can get back in the lineup!

ps - thinking of going to watch the Hawks tomorrow at Princeton. I'm curious to see what Tavernhawk does in an Ivy League town. Any guesses?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I've seen some disappointment in the board based on results and I gotta say I'm pretty proud of the guys. Full disclosure, I watched most of Friday's matches, but was only able to catch 1st/3rd matches tonight. The rest is from a review of the brackets.

125 - Seeded 2nd - Finished 5th: Slightly disappointing finish. The Semi's loss was a tossup. Loss in the Conso-semis was pretty bad, but bounced back for a good win in the 5th place match.

133 - Unseeded - Finished 4th. Very impressive finish. Hung in there with the eventual champ and then made a huge run through the backside. Even the loss in the 3rd place match was because of one move. I'm still adjusting to this "neutral danger' rule. Seems sometimes they only award a TD and sometimes they award TD + back. Todd gave up 6 on a fluke scramble at the end of the first and wasn't able to overcome it.

141 - Seeded 6 - Finished 4th. Great tournament for Ian. McKee is the real deal and a tough matchup. Really impressed he was able to handle Red. Demas overpowered him in the 3rd place match. I know he's beaten Dom before, but will need a new strategy if it's to ever happen again.

149 - Seeded 2 - Finished 6th. Was on pace to finish to seed or better if not for the injury. Even with, really impressed he toughed it out to get to the Semis before defaulting. Here's to hoping it's not that serious. The good news is Leisure is probably one of our best backups. It will be a step down from Degen for sure, but not as much as some other weights (if necessary).

157 - Seeded 3 - Finished 3. David wrested well. He's never going to be Cael who dominated everyone. Hopefully, by his Jr/Sr year he will be a Nolf, but remember even then Nolf had some close matches (Hidlay). Deakin is on a tear and may be a darkhorse for the Hodge trophy. Hopefully, David can close the gap by Nationals.

165 - Unseeded - DNP - Chase had a decent showing against #3 Fogerty but couldn't finish when he got in on his shots. Didn't see his backside match, so no idea what happened there, but it wasn't pretty. I have a feeling Chase will keep improving and peak at the end of the year like last.

174 - Seeded 12 - DNP (same thing) - Coleman had a huge win on the front side over #5 Skatzka who ended up 4th (should have been 3rd). Then ran into AValencia who is wrestling well and finally had a tossup match with Hastings in which he got killed. So high and low I guess.

184 - Seeded 8 - DNP - Sam was a victim of seeding here, which is his own fault. He would not have been seeded 8th without the loss to Brands. That said, getting Zahid and then Darmaset on the backside was unfortunate. Darmaset will be a bad matchup for Sam forever due to height difference.

197 - Unseeded - DNP - It looks to me like Joel is outhorsed at 197. He had some decent shots but just got rolled over. At this point, I wonder if Duggan wouldn't be a better option physical-wise until Joel can grow into the weight.

285 - Seeded 7th - Finished 4th - Fantastic tournament for Gannon! Only losses were to #2 seed Orndorff twice and he closed the gap in the 3rd place match. I do think Orndorff is a bit overratted and Gannon can beat him, but nontheless, good tourny for GG.

Overall, I'm very happy and hope we can build off this. Hope Degen is not out too long and Austin can get back in the lineup!

ps - thinking of going to watch the Hawks tomorrow at Princeton. I'm curious to see what Tavernhawk does in an Ivy League town. Any guesses?

this is one of the better takes I’ve seen on this board

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
149: Injuries are always a big worry. He was having a solid tournament, doing what was expected. The match vs Sasso would have been great to see.

Any idea how serious of an injury it is??? And what are the chances he goes against Chattanooga.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Any idea how serious of an injury it is??? And what are the chances he goes against Chattanooga.

I have zero inside information regarding the injury. But, from my persepective, t didn't look good when it happened, and it seemed to limit him a little bit during the quarters. If it was bad enough to sit the semis, then I see no rush in getting him back in the lineup, especially with a more than capable back-up. Shoulders are not something to hurry back from, especially with Degen's style.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
He won't be going this coming saturday from what the word around campus is (full disclosure it was one of those buddy knows a guy that goes to class things)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Wins and Losses at CKLV and rankings
125 - Mackall was ranked #7
beat UR Cal State Bakerfield kid
beat UR Sacred Heart kid
beat UR Thomsen of Nebraska
lost to #10 Schroder of Purdue 6-2 (was there a scamble and 2 TD & 2 NF at end of 2nd?)
lost to UR Prata of VT 7-5 (This probably hurts the worst, obiviously)
beats Courtney of ASU

133 - Small was UR
Beat UR Clarion kid
Lost to #6 Tucker of Cornell 5-3
beat UR Ford-Melton of Purdue by Fall
Beat Price of SDSU
beat Hayes of Virginia
beat #20 Rooney of Kent State
beat Koontz of Ohio State
lost to UR Lovett of Nebraska 7-1 (Lovett will move up a bunch in rankings this week)

141 - Parker was ranked #13
beat UR Tolin of Northwestern
beat D2 kid of Neb Kearney
lost to #4 McKee of Minnesota
beat UR Baughman of Cornell
beat #18 Moore of VT
beat #6 Red of Nebraska
lost to #2 Demas of Oklahoma

149 - Degen was ranked #6
beat UR Moore of Northern Colorado
beat UR Lamantia of Michigan
beat #4 Purington of Nebraska

157 - Carr was ranked #2
beat UR Franek of NDSU
beat UR Shay of Clarion
beat #20 Thomas of Oklahoma
lost to #4 Deakin of Northwestern (Deakin will be #1 this week after beating Hidlay also)
beat UR Wright of Fresno State
beat #7 Coleman of Purdue

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
165 - Straw was unranked
beat UR Kinsey of Virginia
lost to #8 Fogarty of NDSU
lost to UR Truax of Cal Poly

174 - Coleman was unranked
beat #9 Skatzka of Minnesota