Civilization VI

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
So my laptop is getting old. Handled Civ 5 ok, got a little bogged down by the end of a standard 6-8 civ game. Anyone paid attention to how demanding Civ 6 is in comparison?

I've played hundreds of hours of civ 5, but I'm worried i'm going to drop $50 on a game that my computer can't run. Or runs so poorly it ruins it for me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So my laptop is getting old. Handled Civ 5 ok, got a little bogged down by the end of a standard 6-8 civ game. Anyone paid attention to how demanding Civ 6 is in comparison?

I've played hundreds of hours of civ 5, but I'm worried i'm going to drop $50 on a game that my computer can't run. Or runs so poorly it ruins it for me.

I think the units/workers were a bit slimmed down with the small unit stacks and builders instead of workers for this purpose. My laptop runs it fine but I just got it this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigman38

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not completely sure, but I do think that buildings added to the entertainment district add +1 amenity.

Also, just read that district repairs are added to the construction cue for that city.

I had problems with amenities once I declared war. Had a fairly short war and still had all kinds of war weariness right off the bat.

gotcha. Never saw it in the construction queue. Thanks.

So, after playing a few sessions, I really like the separation of the tech and civic trees, and the ability to boost your research with Eureka moments. It makes progression feel a little more organic.
Really like the government management, with the different cards for bonuses. Is there a penalty for changing tenets of your government too often, is the penalty only for changing your general form of government?
Religion seems like something you need to manage more closely now. In Civ 5, you could sort of count on your trade routes to spread your religion, and while that seems to work in Civ 6, it appears you have to pay more attention to using missionaries if you want it to really flourish.
I like the idea of districts, and having specific buildings tied to them. That feels like a natural evolution. I had a Civ declare war on me, and was pleasantly surprised to see my military district had it's own ranged attack in addition to the unit I had garrisoned there.
I like being able to see the goals of other Civs as well. It allows you to kind of plan how you want to maintain your relationship with them.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
gotcha. Never saw it in the construction queue. Thanks.

So, after playing a few sessions, I really like the separation of the tech and civic trees, and the ability to boost your research with Eureka moments. It makes progression feel a little more organic.
Really like the government management, with the different cards for bonuses. Is there a penalty for changing tenets of your government too often, is the penalty only for changing your general form of government?
Religion seems like something you need to manage more closely now. In Civ 5, you could sort of count on your trade routes to spread your religion, and while that seems to work in Civ 6, it appears you have to pay more attention to using missionaries if you want it to really flourish.
I like the idea of districts, and having specific buildings tied to them. That feels like a natural evolution. I had a Civ declare war on me, and was pleasantly surprised to see my military district had it's own ranged attack in addition to the unit I had garrisoned there.
I like being able to see the goals of other Civs as well. It allows you to kind of plan how you want to maintain your relationship with them.

All I've read is the general phrase "changing your government too often can cause penalties", but I don't think anyone has specified regarding the tenets. I change mine quite often and have never noticed a downside.

I tried religion in my second run through, and have been piling up faith points, but I'm not inclined to use them all, so I'm probably not maximizing my potential there. However, I am now trying to figure out if there are ways to get a casus belli on purpose by converting a city and then attacking that Civ to liberate my followers (there are no libertarians in Civ ;))

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm going to try this tonight, but supposedly the Windows 10 freeze last night had to do with a Windows Defender update (had a feeling it was an update of some sort because it worked flawlessly and then just didn't). Anyway, this guy details a way to exclude Civ VI from Defender because that might be why it's freezing/hanging up.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You guys are going to make be buy this. I swore off of Civ after my addictions to I through IV. Never played V. I'm starting to crack.....

Reactions: Cyclonepride

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Won my first game, a cultural victory. I knew I was getting close, but every time I'd get within one tourist needed, China would add a new domestic tourist. This went on for several turns while at the same fighting a religious war with Arabia. Ready to start a new game, with lots of new knowledge how to play. I was constantly struggling with money and housing, not so much with amenities, probably because I was concentrating on culture right from the start.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Won my first game, a cultural victory. I knew I was getting close, but every time I'd get within one tourist needed, China would add a new domestic tourist. This went on for several turns while at the same fighting a religious war with Arabia. Ready to start a new game, with lots of new knowledge how to play. I was constantly struggling with money and housing, not so much with amenities, probably because I was concentrating on culture right from the start.

I think the key is to recognize the best victory type to pursue given your starting situation. I lucked into that my first game, but I struggled in my second as I went the wrong direction with it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I haven't really been able to sink my teeth into this one, I've had the last week off due to a concussion but can't spend much time on the PC due to reoccuring symptoms. I've been playing the series since Civ 1 so having a week off of work and not being able to play the newest Civ is brutal. The old me would have just fought through the headaches and blurred vision, I guess I'm growing up, despite what my wife says. Keep the tips coming, you guys have answered a ton of questions I had.

Reactions: Nothingman

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
My 2011 version Mac doesn't have the specs to play this one. So I'll be replaying Civ 5 until old reliable shells out. This game looks awesome though - I'm totally jealous.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm going to try this tonight, but supposedly the Windows 10 freeze last night had to do with a Windows Defender update (had a feeling it was an update of some sort because it worked flawlessly and then just didn't). Anyway, this guy details a way to exclude Civ VI from Defender because that might be why it's freezing/hanging up.

I'm happy to report that this fixed the problem. Loaded right up without a hitch.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I took a chance and downloaded it. Performance is just about the same as Civ 5 so far (300 turns in).

Early game felt like Civ 5, to a fault, but the mid game is really opening up and it looks like the endgame might do the same. Really it will take a handful of games to see if this is an upgrade over 5, but it's pretty fun so far.

Biggest upgrade for me has been the diplomatic options and how much they've surfaced in those screens. Not 100% sure yet but it looks like having successful relationships with other civs is a lot more viable.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I took a chance and downloaded it. Performance is just about the same as Civ 5 so far (300 turns in).

Early game felt like Civ 5, to a fault, but the mid game is really opening up and it looks like the endgame might do the same. Really it will take a handful of games to see if this is an upgrade over 5, but it's pretty fun so far.

Biggest upgrade for me has been the diplomatic options and how much they've surfaced in those screens. Not 100% sure yet but it looks like having successful relationships with other civs is a lot more viable.

Yeah, you really see your cities transform over time, and it seems like there's always something to be driving after. The diplomacy and spies have been a big improvement, though in practice, there are some serious fixes they need to make. Seems like the AI hates you, starting from about 30 seconds after you meet. There's also a big penalty for taking someone's city, even if you were minding your own business and get surprise attacked. You also have no casus belli for when a city state ally is attacked.

Overall, very, very good, fun and innovative. Just needs some adjustments.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Yeah, you really see your cities transform over time, and it seems like there's always something to be driving after. The diplomacy and spies have been a big improvement, though in practice, there are some serious fixes they need to make. Seems like the AI hates you, starting from about 30 seconds after you meet. There's also a big penalty for taking someone's city, even if you were minding your own business and get surprise attacked. You also have no casus belli for when a city state ally is attacked.

Overall, very, very good, fun and innovative. Just needs some adjustments.

Definitely agree after I've played two games. The negatives are still a little too harsh, incredibly difficult to keep anyone happy. The structure is there, hopefully they tune it soon.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Anyone tried a religion victory yet? It's fun, but it's really overpowered. Even while stumbling around like an idiot for half the game I ended up winning before turn 300.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Definitely agree after I've played two games. The negatives are still a little too harsh, incredibly difficult to keep anyone happy. The structure is there, hopefully they tune it soon.

I can only guess it'd take giving them luxury resources for free and chests full of gold, and I'd rather see them smashed under my military machine than do that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Anyone tried a religion victory yet? It's fun, but it's really overpowered. Even while stumbling around like an idiot for half the game I ended up winning before turn 300.

No. I get tired of the 8000 religious units crawling all over the map. I had a faith generating machine for one game, but couldn't be bothered with creating and moving all those units around. Would have been nice if I had known at that point that you could buy great people with faith.