CIML News: Looks Like The Suburban Conference Thing Is Happening Faster Than I expected

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I asked the original question and it still hasn't been answered or at least I don't understand that answer, so again, how does Millard being in Omaha but having it's own school district and youth programs that have nothing to do with OPS or Omaha North, improve North's athletics? It is still a suburban district with economic advantages over the city schools.

I grew up in Omaha and went to HS before the Millard School District had been eaten by the city, and I think your question makes sense. OPS has an enrollment of 52k vs. 33k for DMPS. My suspicion is that, because of the size and bigger geographic distribution, OPS schools are at a $ advantage. A few decades ago, there were OPS schools/neighborhoods that were desirable, and I believe that is still the case.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Im not going to put details I know on here as it’s not the place. But it has nothing to do with anything in regards to playing time or anything that happened on the field, mat, court, etc or GPA issues.

I don’t know if anything will come of it, I know one person that talked to lawyer but would not put name on record. Which obviously is problematic for a case.

1621566535866.jpeg

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
What's come out of Omaha in the last few decades worth this much discussion. Nebraska Furniture Mart?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Outside of a few additions and subtractions..........this is the Big Eight once again.

Not surprised by East joining at all. Makes a lot of sense for them competitively. Also not surprised West not yet making the move. I can see them staying where they are.

Travel isn't great for the new conference, but it isn't going to be terribly different than the old CIML for a lot of these schools. With Mason City and Ottumwa the old Northern and southern outliers were already there. For Ames (which is my only concern) it isn't going to be a big deal in terms of travel. Swapping out a trip to Ankeny, Waukee or SEP for a trip to Waterloo each sports season isn't a big deal.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Great move for East. They've been looking for a new home for 4 or 5 years. Tried to get into the NEIC before it's (Waverly's racism and general awfulness to people) breakup and even tried to get into the NICL when they took Oelwein.

East should be able to compete in Boy's Basketball and Volleyball right away. I'm happy that those kids have a much more level playing field.

IMO, West made a mistake not going. When your ceiling is competing with Hempstead, Jefferson and City High, you're never even going to get into the same stratosphere as CF, LinnMar, Prairie, Kennedy, City West, Liberty and Western Dubuque.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Not surprised by East joining at all. Makes a lot of sense for them competitively. Also not surprised West not yet making the move. I can see them staying where they are.

Travel isn't great for the new conference, but it isn't going to be terribly different than the old CIML for a lot of these schools. With Mason City and Ottumwa the old Northern and southern outliers were already there. For Ames (which is my only concern) it isn't going to be a big deal in terms of travel. Swapping out a trip to Ankeny, Waukee or SEP for a trip to Waterloo each sports season isn't a big deal.
My oldest is an athlete at West and the scuttlebutt I had been hearing was West wasn't very interested in making the jump. They feel pretty happy with how competitive they are in the MVC in everything but football but with the way Football works now that didn't really factor into the decision.

Hopefully this move will allow East to be more competitive in athletics. I'm more tied into the baseball scene West than anything and thought it was crazy our Freshman team only has 2 Freshmen on it and the rest are 8th graders. Last year the Freshman team had 4 or 5 8th graders playing but those kids all are playing Sophomore this year. East has 8th graders starting for their Varsity team this summer because they need the arms for pitching.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My oldest is an athlete at West and the scuttlebutt I had been hearing was West wasn't very interested in making the jump. They feel pretty happy with how competitive they are in the MVC in everything but football but with the way Football works now that didn't really factor into the decision.

Hopefully this move will allow East to be more competitive in athletics. I'm more tied into the baseball scene West than anything and thought it was crazy our Freshman team only has 2 Freshmen on it and the rest are 8th graders. Last year the Freshman team had 4 or 5 8th graders playing but those kids all are playing Sophomore this year. East has 8th graders starting for their Varsity team this summer because they need the arms for pitching.

Wow - that's crazy low baseball numbers for a school that size. My son just got done with 7th in Ames. I think there are 14 8th graders out this year, and I think when he gets to 8th grade it will be similar. One big difference is a majority of the current 9th and below in Ames have been doing USSSA stuff for a few years. In prior years my guess it was a handful in each class. So I think Ames is actually starting to see something of a resurgence in baseball. Maybe not huge numbers, and nothing like Johnston, Valley, etc., but decent numbers with more kids ready to compete.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Wow - that's crazy low baseball numbers for a school that size. My son just got done with 7th in Ames. I think there are 14 8th graders out this year, and I think when he gets to 8th grade it will be similar. One big difference is a majority of the current 9th and below in Ames have been doing USSSA stuff for a few years. In prior years my guess it was a handful in each class. So I think Ames is actually starting to see something of a resurgence in baseball. Maybe not huge numbers, and nothing like Johnston, Valley, etc., but decent numbers with more kids ready to compete.
Yeah we've got a weird gap in kids that played USSSA baseball with the kids that were Freshman/Sophomores/Juniors this year. For whatever reason there just wasn't many kids who played USSSA in those three classes. We had a feeder team for those classes but they had to fill them out with kids from CF and Don Bosco. Things should fill back out to normal in a couple years once this years 14U kids are Juniors. We have pretty full rosters of USSSA kids all the way down to 10U.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

As for travel......Ames, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge and Mason City were all part of the old Big Eight with East years ago. The only people it might be a stretch are the Des Moines schools. But they have been playing the Council Tucky and Sewer City schools recently so it should not be too big of a deal.