Chuck Norris Shrine in Iraq

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think they do admire him in a mythical figure kind of way, and not in a derogatory way. I had just read the article too and way going to post it, since there seems to be a lot of Chuck fans here. :)

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I think they do admire him in a mythical figure kind of way, and not in a derogatory way. I had just read the article too and way going to post it, since there seems to be a lot of Chuck fans here. :)

I take it that Chuck laughs at the "chuck norris" jokes as well and doesn't take himself too seriously?

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Chuck Norris the only WMD in Iraq, say U.S. troops - Yahoo! News

The article is written like Chuck is an inspiration but to me, it sounds like he is the butt of jokes.

I think the Chuck Norris thing is much more complex than that, really. They are more making fun of the whole notion of a pop culture hero. It's absurdist humor, and pretty funny at that. The fact that Chuck kinda plays along adds to it. He's not the butt of the jokes, so much as the whole genre and notion of an "action hero" is. You could substitute Bruce Willis or The Rock or Arnold Schwarzenegger or whomever and it'd be pretty much the same (in fact, The Rock facts cropped up long before Chuck Norris).

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I take it that Chuck laughs at the "chuck norris" jokes as well and doesn't take himself too seriously?

I'm sure he doesn't, have you seen him act? :wink:
VM._SY140_SX100_.jpg

Last edited:

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, I'd say so. More of "laughing with him" thing than "laughing at him."

The Mike Huckabee ads featuring Chuck Norris has basically the same concept. I thought they were funny.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
When I was over in Iraq a year or so ago we actually got chewed out by our 1st Sergeant for having pictures of Chuck Norris up. It was pretty funny some of the stuff people would put up over there.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

Yes, Chuck has even "endorsed" his favorites at Chuck Norris Facts

There is nothing maliscuous (wow sp?) about them, its a friendly folk hero type thing.

btw: Chuck Norris can kill 2 birds with one stone

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
With soldiers, it is even more complicated than "absurdist humor". You see, most have "actually done" some of the things Norris is featured to have done, only it is portrayed as being absurdly easy when he does it.

When Norris kicks in a door, pulls a grenade pin with his teeth, and then shoots 12 bad guys on full auto, with the gun cradled in the crook of his arm, I automatically think: "Grenade pins would pull your teeth out, and Chuckie just fragged himself by not being behind cover/far enough away from the blast radius, and doors "never" just kick in. You break your foot, or your foot goes through a light panel and you have to wrestle it out, spraining your ankle in the process. People never "just die artfully and cleanly" when you shoot them, and hitting moving targets is a [bad word], and your sweat is running in your eyes, making it hard to see and down your butt-crack, which is distracting and uncomfortable, and your Kevlar keeps falling down over your eyes, and your arms and legs just NEVER do the right thing at the right time.

So, "Chuck Norris" is an enigma, wrapped in a conundrum, wrapped in a secret. But, hey, I hear that Norris isn't afraid of the Dark, The Dark is afraid of Chuck Norris."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Chuck Norris' favorite cereal is Kellogg's Nails 'N' Gravel.

Chuck Norris wipes his *** with sandpaper and chain mail.

Help Support Us

Become a patron