Chris Ash

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
iowa has had a virtually identical staff since KF was hired. The same could be said for Fry's first 10 years. Same can be said for Missouri and Pinkels staff.

Sure, teams can win with constant coaching turnover- but its really reserved for top programs and top teams. Look at the gators this year, they lost their O-cordinator and suddenly their offense is less than impressive.

To some extent I am sure it is just pure loyalty to the program (Norm Parker) but some of it is also the fact some of the assistants don't set the world on fire (Ken O'Keefe).

You take the good with the bad in this case. If you get great coaches and they do great things pretty much every school will lose them eventually. If you get good coaches who do good things they might stick around.

The good vs bad with O'Keefe is his offense is consistent but he is not flashy. Because of this he does not attract top level jobs and sometimes his offense sputters and underachieves.

Frankly, the fact Norm Parker is still at Iowa is surprising but a great illustration that sometimes coaches can be very loyal people.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I looked all over the web but couldn't find an image of Atif Austin up on the goal post after we beat Nebraska back in 2002. That was him, right? #21?

Pretty sure that is the picture I have ingrained in my head of Atif, from an enthusiasm standpoint point, he would fit right in with the CPR!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Who else is out there that has recently become availabe. (New head coach/new staff...) I am curious.

I have to think that Shane Burnham or Bill Bleil will take over as recruiting coordinator if we can't find a secondary coach with that experience. They seemed to be the ones that had a lot of recruits linked to them.

I am hoping that all of the work that Ash did for us in Cali this year has built some relationships that we can maintain. I like how many solid recruits we pulled from the west coast.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I listened to CPR's interview on KXNO yesterday and he mentioned California as a hot spot for them to recruit, so I would imagine that area is a focal point for any hires that come in by losing Chris, which I am sure was known about amongst the inner circle of coaches prior to now.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
To some extent I am sure it is just pure loyalty to the program (Norm Parker) but some of it is also the fact some of the assistants don't set the world on fire (Ken O'Keefe).

You take the good with the bad in this case. If you get great coaches and they do great things pretty much every school will lose them eventually. If you get good coaches who do good things they might stick around.

The good vs bad with O'Keefe is his offense is consistent but he is not flashy. Because of this he does not attract top level jobs and sometimes his offense sputters and underachieves.

Frankly, the fact Norm Parker is still at Iowa is surprising but a great illustration that sometimes coaches can be very loyal people.

I've heard that Norm has some health issues, which A) makes other teams less likely to come after him, and B) makes Iowa City a very attractive place.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
and coach ash used to coach out there so im sure we will get somebody that also has some knowledge about the area

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Atif taught my football theory class at UNI, good guy, you couldn't wear Hawkeye gear to class only UNI and Iowa State gear was allowed, seriously...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Thank you so much! Yeah, I think DMac had to lay down a rule of no more goal post shananigans after that tho, hah hah!

Atif's got my vote. :yes:

get_image

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

Where was Norm before Iowa? Vanderbilt.

What has Norm said about his boss? Best guy he has ever worked for, by a long shot.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
iowa has had a virtually identical staff since KF was hired. The same could be said for Fry's first 10 years. Same can be said for Missouri and Pinkels staff.

Sure, teams can win with constant coaching turnover- but its really reserved for top programs and top teams. Look at the gators this year, they lost their O-cordinator and suddenly their offense is less than impressive.

You bring up a couple perfect examples. Let's look at Iowa now and Iowa under the previous leadership.
Hayden Fry hired guys like Barry Alvarez, Bob Stoops, Bill Snyder, etc. He hired guys that other people wanted and they left that program for better gigs, more money, and head coaching spots. When Fry replaced them he hired other guys that other programs wanted to hire.
Bill Walsh was another example of this. At one time, the percentage of NFL coaches that worked for Bill Walsh was huge. I don't remember the percentage exactly but it was over 60%.

I do not watch Big 10 football nearly as close as I watch the Big 12 and SEC but the only coach out of the current U of I staff that I have heard rumored for head coaching jobs around the country is Ferentz himself. It would seem to me that he has a different philosophy than Fry did when it comes to staff.

I will take the guy that hires good people that other programs want over the guy that hires a staff he can keep for a long time.

All that said we should do everything we can to make this an attractive place to be and pay our coaches well so it makes it harder for them to leave. But we can't and shouldn't hide them from the world.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure you're going to like Chris's replacement. I guarentee you will recognize his name. He has walked our sidelines before.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Hmmm. Coach under Bilema or coach under CPR? I wish Chris luck but he may regret this decision, but I have confidence we will replace him with a top notch coach.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure you're going to like Chris's replacement. I guarentee you will recognize his name. He has walked our sidelines before.

Just walked our sidelines, or has he gone inside the lines at the Jack and played?