Chris Ash

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Wow they got that up quick. Is there a state law that a state job has to be posted for a certain amount of time before it can be filled?

I don't know about the time it must be posted, but I know they have to be posted.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have heard good things about atif austin, but who knows if he is the guy we are going to get.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing will continue to happen if we cannot afford to keep coaches around. The absolute NUMBER 1 thing that killed McCarney's success was the departure of his assistants.

this is scary stuff, and not to be taken lightly. If Atif austin was better- CPR would have hired him last year.

There is going to be turnover, there always it. No one moves around as much as college FB assistants. if you read all the resumes of the guys we hired last year, almost all of their job stints were 2-3 years.

The important thing is to be able to replace the departures effectively.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I have heard good things about atif austin, but who knows if he is the guy we are going to get.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing will continue to happen if we cannot afford to keep coaches around. The absolute NUMBER 1 thing that killed McCarney's success was the departure of his assistants.

this is scary stuff, and not to be taken lightly. If Atif austin was better- CPR would have hired him last year.

We know Chris Ash was better, but he's moved on, and that doesn't mean that there aren't up and comers that can't be that good. I really think it's important to bring ex-Cyclones back into the fold, when they've shown promise as a coach. Atif has done that, so I say bring him aboard.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Forgive me for being ignorant... but where has Atif Austin been the last few years?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
It may be too late, but I really think ISU needs to step up and pay him what ever is necessary to keep him at ISU.

If we are going to be successful we need to maintain some level of continuity in our staff. We can't afford to lose key coaches to lateral moves.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
If he's going to Wisky to infiltrate their lair and in a couple years, bring those secrets back to Ames in order to dominate the world - this is a very good evil plan.

We tried that plan once. It was a good idea at the time and a fun run.
I think this time Wisconsin thinks they are getting a guy that knows all the secrets to dominating the world he learned from CPR.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
iowa has had a virtually identical staff since KF was hired. The same could be said for Fry's first 10 years. Same can be said for Missouri and Pinkels staff.

Sure, teams can win with constant coaching turnover- but its really reserved for top programs and top teams. Look at the gators this year, they lost their O-cordinator and suddenly their offense is less than impressive.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
It may be too late, but I really think ISU needs to step up and pay him what ever is necessary to keep him at ISU.

If we are going to be successful we need to maintain some level of continuity in our staff. We can't afford to lose key coaches to lateral moves.

It was posted earlier...but this killed Mac and will more than likely continue. ISU does not have enough resources to pay good assistants. Look at what some coordinators are making...over 700K a year. It sucks, but it's reality.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Personally I don't want Atif Austin as his replacement. I would prefer someone from out west, maybe from Boise, Fresno, Washington or Washington State, Utah, BYU, Nevada, UNLV...

Basically what I am saying is that we need someone who can recruit California and coach the defensive backs. Austin may be the next best thing to sliced bread, but if this is his first rodeo recruiting D-1 athletes, I don't know if it is a fair trade.

This is a key hire for coach rhoads