Chris Ash

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Not really. As someone else pointed out, if he's still dback coach when Wally retires, we could probably get him back to Ames.

If he's going to Wisky to infiltrate their lair and in a couple years, bring those secrets back to Ames in order to dominate the world - this is a very good evil plan.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
Assuming this is true...

When you have a staff of good people like the staff that CPR has put together there are going to be other organizations that will recruit and hire them for higher positions. It is the price of being successful. It is actually a sign of good things to come that this is happening so early in CPR's tenure. He put together a stellar staff and history tells me he will find a more than adequate replacement for Coach Ash. The success he has had in turning this program around will make it easier to hire highly qualified qualified people. Who wouldn't want to work for this guy?

Good luck Coach Ash and thank you for all the work you did on this recruiting class.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Wisconsin won't be Ash's last stop anyway. He is a class guy and we were fortunate to have him.

Working for Bielma would suck though. What a ******bag.

Maybe over the long haul, that works in our favor? Come back home when you find out the grass isn't necessarily greener. And bring your surely deeper rolodex of recruiting contacts with you?

I was in school when Bielema pulled his stunt with Walden. Never a big fan of Jim's, but nobody deserved that and BB is the poster boy of "lack of class".

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
He did it the right way (timing wise). He's doing what anyone else would do by going to a higher paying job.

For some reason, I think we see him back in Ames in a couple years after Wally hangs it up.

Al4State made a great point about Atif Austin. Get him back here is we can and he is right for the job. Ash knew the game but he was as good of a recruiter as a coach and that will be tough to replace.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Can we give him a "DC in waiting" tag right now? Probably wont help without a raise though.

Hard to do that when he's already taken the other job.

I'd be stunned if this move was a surprise within the coaching staff. I'm sure Coach has a replacement lined up.

What's funny is I was talking to his BIL in Okoboji this weekend for Winter Games, and he was wearing ISU gear. I wonder if he knew? He mentioned that he didn't think Wally would be coaching for too many more years, so it would've been nice to have him step into that position. Maybe they have Shane lined up for that.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Assuming this is true...

When you have a staff of good people like the staff that CPR has put together there are going to be other organizations that will recruit and hire them for higher positions. It is the price of being successful. It is actually a sign of good things to come that this is happening so early in CPR's tenure. He put together a stellar staff and history tells me he will find a more than adequate replacement for Coach Ash. The success he has had in turning this program around will make it easier to hire highly qualified qualified people. Who wouldn't want to work for this guy?

Good luck Coach Ash and thank you for all the work you did on this recruiting class.
Should have went the Chizik route and hired his buddies who aren't good enough to ever leave.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Classy move by Ash. I have no problem with a coach moving on. He did it right and waited until recruiting was over. I have no problem

Yeah, it was great Ash waited until after Signing Day. Tough to lose our recruiting coordinator.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Big loss for ISU but I wish Coach Ash well. Hopefully, Coach Rhoads already has a great replacement in mind. Nobody more important than your Recruiring Coordinator/Secondary Coach.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I have heard good things about atif austin, but who knows if he is the guy we are going to get.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing will continue to happen if we cannot afford to keep coaches around. The absolute NUMBER 1 thing that killed McCarney's success was the departure of his assistants.

this is scary stuff, and not to be taken lightly. If Atif austin was better- CPR would have hired him last year.