Chris Allen from MSU on campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Also by taking these types of kids we get there AAU coaches and high school coaches happy with us.
By taking Royce White it gave us a good in with the Hopkins coaches. Now we are in on Coleman. Meanwhile they seemed ****** off at Tubby. I am not sure where Allen played AAU or high school ball but it might give us an in with those coaches.
This. I'm glad someone gets it. Even though he could only play for a year, new doors will be opened for us.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
It is becoming very rare for good players to stick around in college basketball for more than 2 years. We were insanely lucky to get Brackins back for a 3rd year. Take what you can get, when you can get it.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Also by taking these types of kids we get there AAU coaches and high school coaches happy with us.
By taking Royce White it gave us a good in with the Hopkins coaches. Now we are in on Coleman. Meanwhile they seemed ****** off at Tubby. I am not sure where Allen played AAU or high school ball but it might give us an in with those coaches.

Boom goes the dynamite.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Not very many schools will take players like Anderson or Allen when they only have one year to play...partially why there was little competition for Gilstrap even though he was one of the top JUCO players in the country.

Only partially true on Gilstrap. While his 1 year of remaining eligibility may have possible scared off other suitors, when he committed to ISU, and when he signed with ISU in the fall, he was an unknown, definitely not one of the top Juco players in the country. He had been out of basketball for 2 years after a major leg injury. Not until his last JC season, after he had already signed with ISU, was Gilstrap one of the top JC players in the country. So he was an unknown coming off a major injury with one year to play.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not very many schools will take players like Anderson or Allen when they only have one year to play...partially why there was little competition for Gilstrap even though he was one of the top JUCO players in the country.

Fred always mentions that he talks w/Tim Floyd frequently and leans on him for advice. Seems to me these are the kind of gambles that Floyd would take. I would be less nervous if Floyd was the one taking them, as he is a proven coach. For better or worse, ISU is becoming the campus for Big Ten castoffs.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Fred always mentions that he talks w/Tim Floyd frequently and leans on him for advice. Seems to me these are the kind of gambles that Floyd would take. I would be less nervous if Floyd was the one taking them, as he is a proven coach. For better or worse, ISU is becoming the campus for Big Ten castoffs.

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
It is becoming very rare for good players to stick around in college basketball for more than 2 years. We were insanely lucky to get Brackins back for a 3rd year. Take what you can get, when you can get it.

This.

I also think that Coach Hoiberg is bringing a little more NBA-flavor to his recruiting. I suspect he is going to tell his players and recruits that part of the job is make the team chemistry work -- just like the pros. Hoiberg hasn't "coached" before but he has certainly had to manage egos to make teammates mesh. I know this is a tricky tack to take but it is a bit closer to the NBA model and -- if it is successful -- it may get us into the next level of recruits.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Yep, my **** up, but the point still remains, we NEED to find guards in the 2011 and 2012 classes to get the classes straightened out. Right now, our back court is old and our front court is REALLY young. We need to get where we've got both spread out and we don't have to recruit the hell out of guards (next couple years) and recruit the hell out of big guys (the next couple after that).

winning aids in the recruits we get. Allen simply moves one schollie from 11 to 12. and gives us a solid D1 guard next year. Coleman is the remaining get in 11. Three would open in 12 (2 guards and a post), currently 2 available in 13 (Jok and a post)

Giving guys a second chance does not hurt CFH credibility, how he deals with issues of players in the program does.

Sy4Cy

Sep 1, 2009
I worry when we take start taking on other teams misfit trouble makers. I hope it works out for us.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
people, for us to get back to winning and getting the "good" recruits you have to win. You can't just snap your fingers and do it. How did K-State get good? They hired Huggins who already had Bill Walker and Michael Beasley committed TO HIM. Neither of which were/are choir boys. You have to take chances when you are down and out, and it isn't like this guy was committing felonies, just butted heads with a coach who has earned the right to be hard headed.

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames

Floyd is, in fact, taking the risk. Another poster stated that UTEP was one of the schools that Allen is interested in.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

I'm not really worried that ISU is becoming the campus for Big Ten castoffs as this is just a temporary solution. I don't feel that being a new coach Fred has a lot of time on his side to recruit players for short-term.
I agree that he needs to build for long term, but in the short term, the team needs to be competitive, otherwise, it'll scare the recruits to play for a losing program

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
So the fact that a well respected, future HOF coach made Allen his first ever dismissed player doesn't bother you?

Yes we need athletes and beggars can't be choosers. This is just a big red flag for me.

Calipari is also a likely future HOF coach. That doesn't make him a saint and a pristine judge of character. Illogical inference you are basing your opinion on.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Calipari is also a likely future HOF coach. That doesn't make him a saint and a pristine judge of character. Illogical inference you are basing your opinion on.

Uh, he is? He keeps having issues getting in trouble after he leaves schools.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
2012 is the year all those four star local kids, Paige, Staten, Woodbury and Gesell , will be available. Will we have room for them with all these transfers coming in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron