Chizik just won Coach of the Year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
Re: Chizek just won Coach of the Year

Congrats to Gene. As of right now, its clear he has done the best job as head coach in the nation.

Really? What about Chip Kelly? or Gary Patterson? or Chris Peterson? What has he done that those haven't? Besides pay the POY $200k?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

there are some serious sour grapes on here. Gene left. Get over yourself.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006

Gene deserved it. Chip Kelly was equally deserving after the offseason Oregon had but they both did great. Gene caught lightning in a bottle with Cam Newton and took advantage. They played in several tough games and found a way to win them all so far. We'll see how the investigation turns out but for now, you have to tip your cap.

I'm not bitter about the situation. I'm glad where Iowa State is currently and don't wish ill-will towards Chizik.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

this could mean good exposure for us.

And Chiz will get to keep it even though all the other trophies will have to go back.

I can see his acceptance speech now, "What's this * mark after my name?

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

How exactly? He leaves us high and dry after telling people there's no way he'll ever be able to win at ISU because of a lack of resources, talent, tradition, etc, then goes to Auburn and is competing for a national title in year two. How will that bring us good exposure?

Spot on there. Only award he deserves is Dbag of the year.

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville

if we had kept Gene we'd be headed to the Big 12 championship game this year.

The only place you'll be heading is the next mirror to check on your awesome mustache. You're an arrogant troll. Go back to your own message board and whine some more why Bernstine isn't playing. You know, if he were healthy, your Hawks would have won the national championship.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Can we please learn how to spell his name.....

Chizik
Chizik
Chizik

Didn't you write a song about him jametaylor?

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

Jamestaylor isn't a true Cyclone fan. He's just trying to rile you guys up. Don't fall into the trap.

jamestaylor

Dec 13, 2008
the HIll

The only place you'll be heading is the next mirror to check on your awesome mustache. You're an arrogant troll. Go back to your own message board and whine some more why Bernstine isn't playing. You know, if he were healthy, your Hawks would have won the national championship.

put down the crack pipe dutch.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

It is hard to believe that the coach who had issues getting plays in on time 3 years ago is now undefeated. The only thing I am upset about was the asst coaches he hired when he was at ISU.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Think he will ever call JP and thank him for the opportunity now that he has established himself on the national stage?

insert sarcasim

bhutch65

Sep 17, 2007
Coralville

Bernstine would be playing if he wasn't hurt! Bernstine would be playing if he wasn't hurt! He's better than the guys playing! Hawks would be in the chamionship game if he wasn't hurt.

Go post on your Hawk board.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

this could mean good exposure for us.

Auburn lucks out agains. Julio Jones and the other Wideout both hurt, qb goes out before the last drive. Oh well, when you pay players, good things happen.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

Think he will ever call JP and thank him for the opportunity now that he has established himself on the national stage?

insert sarcasim

All sarcasim aside, this is an interesting point. IF GC has all the character and honor that he says he has, again and again, one would think that he would at least acknowledge this at some level.

Side comment: I have no problem with him leaving but they way he did it will forever make him a ****** bag.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines

I could care less if he paid 200k for Scam Newton. I am just mad he didn't try and do that when he was here:jimlad:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

Gene Chizik was a great hire for ISU. He did a great job of recruiting to ISU. Unfortunately, he did not hire his assistants very well at ISU.

And it was very disappointing to see a guy get to use ISU as a stepping stone without actually winning here. I have no problem with ISU being a stepping stone job...as long as the guy puts some wins on the board to get the next job. Frankly, just about every job out there is a stepping stone job.

You can say all you want about Malzahn...and I do believe he is an offensive genius. But it was Chizik that hired him and has been able to temper his ego and pride while letting Malzahn get more positive publicity than any other assistant coach out there over the last two years.

As for Newton...you certainly have a lot of smoke out there...but I am always a little dubious of these type of stories that just seem to pop up out of no where at certain times. Why didn't we hear about this last spring or summer?

Anyway, congrats to Chizik.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

What's your favorite win over Iowa? I keep asking you this and you never answer. Who is your most hated hawk player ever? My money is on Benny Sapp...