Chiz gives me pause for concern...........

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I am...absolutely speechless. Boggled. Agape. I absolutely fail to even begin to grasp how you see him as having a "recruiting problem". Especially after having seen the players out there on the field--that he recruited.

Especially considering the guy has had what? One solid chance to recruit? And this incoming recruiting class is already paying dividends on the field? And it included a highly regarded recruit that we swept in and thefted from aTm?

Face it - 2007 class doesn't count (he had what? 2 months to prepare for it?), and 2008 class is already looking good. Keep in mind he's still working with some of McCarney's leftovers - I can't wait for 2-3 years from now when they're ALL Chizik's players.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He HAD to be sarcastic. You know, like those shirts that Say, I'm on a drinking team with a bowling problem... When GC recruits are starting over DM 5th year guys, I think that says alot...

Maybe he was saying that "Ames is a hard place to recruit to", "Iowa doesn't have that much talent", or "Chizik isn't raking in four-stars like Brewster is". I dunno. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it.

How can you look at guys on the field like Leonard Johnson, Ter'ran Benton and Kennard Banks, regardless of their (three) stars, and not say that Chizik has done a fine job of recruiting? That doesn't even mention Sedrick Johnson....

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
The discussion centered on gene chizik...I personally think that gc is a very good coach with a recruiting problem. Four years from now gc will either be gone because he seceded or he will be fired because he could not win enough games... just my opinion and i am not always rite!!

I think in this case, most if not all of us are going to have to say you're not "rite". We are only 2 years in, you cant hardly know what he can do as far as recruiting is concerned just yet. Like was stated earlier, I think in 2-3 years more you're going to see exactly how good at recruiting he is. I personally am already impressed with his recruiting and can hardly wrap my mind around what the future holds for the Cyclones. :yes:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Especially considering the guy has had what? One solid chance to recruit? And this incoming recruiting class is already paying dividends on the field? And it included a highly regarded recruit that we swept in and thefted from aTm?

Face it - 2007 class doesn't count (he had what? 2 months to prepare for it?), and 2008 class is already looking good. Keep in mind he's still working with some of McCarney's leftovers - I can't wait for 2-3 years from now when they're ALL Chizik's players.

If, to be considered a "real" Cyclone fan, you have to keep dissing Coach Mac, count me out.
In the area of recruiting, on-campus coaches clinics and summer camps are HUGE in order to build relationships with high school coaches and players. Chizik's clinic attendance this past March was small, less than half of what Mac's average was.
Chizik's summer camp attendance also has fallen well below of Mac's numbers.
Mac's annual 7-on-7 camp on Fathers Day routinely drew 85-90 teams from all around the midwest; the camp this year had around 35, with many schools not coming back from last year.
Most of our starters that we hope to beat Iowa with are Mac's "leftovers," as you put it. Wow.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think he's saying Mac's holdovers are "bad"...just that Chizik's take it to another level.

Exactly what I was getting at.

I liked Mac as much as anyone else and more than a lot of people - but the honest truth is he did all he was going to do here.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I am...absolutely speechless. Boggled. Agape. I absolutely fail to even begin to grasp how you see him as having a "recruiting problem". Especially after having seen the players out there on the field--that he recruited.

After listening to Ben Bruns on the Cotlar show I came to the conclusion that Iowa State/Gene Chizik will always have a problem recruiting the best players in the state of iowa. According to Bruns if ISU loses to Iowa it becomes a bigger problem recruiting high schoolers from iowa...thus the "recruiting problem".

Bruns relayed that the U of I recruiting coordinator had a plaque on his desk and it said Beat State....For recruiting reasons only...this is the biggest game of the year and always will be....Dan McCarney understood this and he said that the losing streak had to end for Iowa State to get the football program rolling forward...Turning point was in I-City in 1998....According to Ben Bruns!!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Recruiting the best players in the state is hardly the be all end all. It always seems the lightly recruited in-state players are better than the highly recruited ones anyways...

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
:no: This is one of those times where thinking for yourself, logically, would be better than listening to the thoughts of some media personality. And who said all the best recruits came from the state of Iowa?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
After listening to Ben Bruns on the Cotlar show I came to the conclusion that Iowa State/Gene Chizik will always have a problem recruiting the best players in the state of iowa.

Listening to Ben Bruns talk about how Robert Gallery wasn't very good prior to the game his senior year, at the same time Cyclone players were telling me they were in awe of how Gallery was just throwing people around (not to mention that Gallery went on to win the Outland) told me that Ben Bruns was not the know all, end all font of football information.

I enjoy the guy, but he has blind spots like everyone else.

Uh, yeah--even me. :wink: