Chicago Bears game

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I have been a Chicago Bears fan since the days of Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, and the Fridge. I now have a son that is old enough to really get into football and I have gotten him to follow the Bears too. Now with a little added incentive to actually go to a game in Chicago with the boy and to watch Montgomery and it doesn’t hurt they are pretty good now too.

Tickets to the game are the easy part- where I need help with is what hotel to pick within the proximity of Soldier Field also to drive self and park or take public transportation. I’d appreciate any feedback on hotels and ways to and from hotel on game day. FYI- we are looking, tentatively, to go to the Lions game on 11/10- kickoff is set for noon.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I like the Marriott Properties in River North. There is a Fairfield Inn, Courtyard and Residence Inn IIRC. I usually stay in the Fairfield Inn. Closer to the Stadium, there is the old Congress Hotel on South Michigan Ave. across from the Art Institute. The Palmer House is also a decent close place to stay. Hope that helps. You can get close to the Stadium on the "L", but you still have to walk from the Roosevelt stop. However, there is the city bus, or you can just walk or uber / cab. Go Bears!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd say if you're going to make the trip and you can afford it, to go all out and get a spot downtown to make everything else easy.

This will be an interesting year for the Bears and it gets way more fun with Montgomery's potential.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonic1

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
When we go to Chicago, we stay at a hotel with the best deal/ratings in the River North near the Red line L stop. We've been staying in the Spring Hill Suites the last few times. It's in walking distance to the L and plenty of restaurants. Parking everywhere will be expensive, however at least at Spring Hill Suites, it's self parking and you can get to your car when you want to. Most other places there are valet parking.

I found the tailgating and local restaurants near Soldier Field lacking, so I'd just head to River North area after the game.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The area around McCormick Place convention center has been rapidly developing over the past couple years and a couple new hotels, bars and restaurants have opened recently. It’s walkable to the stadium - two miles tops via the pedestrian bridge at 18th St.

As a former Chicagoan, skip River North. It’s Chicago’s version of Times Square - touristy, over-priced and generic. If you’re looking for food near Soldier Field hit up Eleven City Diner for breakfast/ brunch, Flo & Santos or Pizzano’s for the Chicago style pizza Chicagoans actually eat (not deep dish) or La Vaca in Pilsen for some of the best tacos in Chicago. Krolls and the Scout are popular pre-game bars, but their food is meh at best.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just an FYI: if you plan on taking the train to the Roosevelt stop and walking from there, its a little over a mile walk and will take around 25-30 mins on game day. Its not a horrible walk, but it might be with a kid on a cold day after the game. So plan accordingly.
It’s a similar distance from parking at the Memorial Union and walking to JTS.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just an FYI: if you plan on taking the train to the Roosevelt stop and walking from there, its a little over a mile walk and will take around 25-30 mins on game day. Its not a horrible walk, but it might be with a kid on a cold day after the game. So plan accordingly.
It’s a similar distance from parking at the Memorial Union and walking to JTS.

Yeah it's a nice walk for fit adults on a nice day. On a cold winter day or with very old/young it could be rough.

Compared to the two baseball parks where you're nearly in the park.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
You’ll wake up to the walls bleeding in the middle of the night at the Congress. Haunted AF. Don’t do it.