Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando playing Clemson (Wed., Dec. 29, 4:45 CT Kick)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I've done that drive a couple of times.

Georgia is talllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
If I were driving from Iowa to Orlando, I would take the I-65 S to I-10 East route and cut down to Orlando on I-75 S. Just another option that avoids the ATL traffic and the ugly Georgia drive. Either way, that's a long drive!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

oh-boy-here-we-go.gif

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If I were driving from Iowa to Orlando, I would take the I-65 to I-10 route and cut down to Orlando on I-75 S. Just another option that avoids the ATL traffic and the ugly Georgia drive. Either way, that's a long drive!

St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta can all be scary on the traffic front depending on when you hit them.

Google Maps says the "straight" version of the route is 20:04 from Des Moines to Orlando assuming you're willing to tolerate the risk those three major cities give you on the way.

Heading south from Nashville to Birmingham, Montgomery, Tallahassee, and then back into the I-75 route says 21:07, so you're adding about an hour to the route in order to avoid Atlanta.

That feels like an even trade. Higher mean traded for lower standard deviation.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Hawk fans are hilarious, already complaining about what ISU fans will say in the future about this game(ratings and quality of opponent). Our 2 flagship universities are tied at the hip more than they could ever want and it infuriates their ego.
Pretty easy to argue ISU has a better opportunity against a juicier opponent. Just have to win. Can't do the ND thing again.

Reactions: n2CY and exCYtable

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
St. Louis, Nashville, and Atlanta can all be scary on the traffic front depending on when you hit them.

Google Maps says the "straight" version of the route is 20:04 from Des Moines to Orlando assuming you're willing to tolerate the risk those three major cities give you on the way.

Heading south from Nashville to Birmingham, Montgomery, Tallahassee, and then back into the I-75 route says 21:07, so you're adding about an hour to the route in order to avoid Atlanta.

That's all true!

I lived in ATL for a while, and the traffic there is worse than all of the others combined. I still have PTSD from it. I lived in Midtown near GT, so it was ALWAYS busy.

Either way, it's a long, long drive. I'd only do it if I took enough time to break it up and stop in Nashville or Birmingham (if anyone takes that route and wants some nice suggestions, let me know).

Safe travels to all, regarless of route or mode of transportation!

Let's Go State!

Beat the Orange out of the Tigers!

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Assuming Venables will not be on the Clemson sideline, it will interesting to see if this effects some of the NFL talent's decision to sit.

Who/how many projected early round picks does Clemson have?

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Here is the 4 routes we are looking at. Starting from the Iowa City area, not Des Moines. Thinking about taking one route down and another back. We wont be driving straight through so we will break it up.

Two years ago we drove down straight through. Started at 9 or 10pm so we didn't run into any traffic issues in ATL, Nashville or St Louis.. Caught a snag in Chattanooga on the way home though.

Attachments

• route 1.JPG
    route 1.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 37
  • route 2.JPG
    route 2.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 38
  • route 3.JPG
    route 3.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 35
  • route 4.JPG
    route 4.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 35

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here is the 4 routes we are looking at. Starting from the Iowa City area, not Des Moines. Thinking about taking one route down and another back. We wont be driving straight through so we will break it up.

Two years ago we drove down straight through. Started at 9 or 10pm so we didn't run into any traffic issues in ATL, Nashville or St Louis.. Caught a snag in Chattanooga on the way home though.

Your route 1 is how we drove down last time. It wasn't a bad drive. We timed it to hit Atlanta in low traffic times (5 AM on the way down and 7 PM on the way home).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
A 4:45 game? I like the bowl but not time
This. Don't get home from work til almost 6 most nights. Using too much pto around the holidays to not work or cut out early this day. Will probably just have to start late and attempt to catch up by fast forwarding commericals/half time

Reactions: cyclones12321

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
These bowl committees must love that they can talk about having the cheapest beer in the USA to lure people into a trip that costs multiple thousands of dollars.

I can just imaging some stuffy corporate meeting...
"So if we promote that we have beer that costs us 50 cents a can...people will spend thousands to travel across the country to buy tickets to our event, rooms at our hotels, and that same canned beer for $7 a can? Do we have the logistics to find this elixir and actually get it here?"

Reactions: everyyard

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Flights currently running a little over $400 Dsm to Orlando. 26 -30th. 1 stop Flights with layovers in Nashville. Just an FYI.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Not just ATL, Chattanooga routinely adds 15-30 minutes due to the nature of an old interstate going through a mountainous city.

That said, Birmingham has also been a ***** at times, and regardless of which secondary road you use to cut down to I-10 on, it can be slower than expected. The stretch between east of Pensacola to Lake City is marginally better than Macon to Lake City.

Give me the upside of ATL, worst case, it is the same as the Alabama route from my experience, with 50/50 it will save you nearly two hours. Imo Orlando area traffic will be the worst of the entire drive, given the influx of out-of-town drivers that week.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just listened to the Cheez It Bowl press conference. They talked about Campbell coming down to Clemson, but I don't think they said anything about their coaches coming up to Ames to learn about our defense. Seemed odd.