Cheez-It Bowl in Orlando playing Clemson (Wed., Dec. 29, 4:45 CT Kick)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Your kids will remember it for a lifetime.

The drive isn’t bad outside the stretch between ATL and Gainesville takes way longer than it seems it should.

I've done that drive a couple of times.

Georgia is talllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I've done that drive a couple of times.

Georgia is talllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
The reverse commute from south Florida, damn if I don’t feel like I can see Chicago from Chattanooga. Just gotta get through Georgia is my mantra.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The reverse commute from south Florida, damn if I don’t feel like I can see Chicago from Chattanooga. Just gotta get through Georgia is my mantra.

Atlanta to Gainesville (city centers) is 332 miles.

Des Moines to Chicago (same) is 334 miles.

And the drive across eastern Iowa and Illinois is significantly more interesting.

(Which is saying something.)

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Atlanta to Gainesville (city centers) is 332 miles.

Des Moines to Chicago (same) is 334 miles.

And the drive across eastern Iowa and Illinois is significantly more interesting.

(Which is saying something.)
That is saying something. 88 is boring as hell.

It always gets me that FSU is closer to LSU/Baton Rouge than Miami. If you’ve been there, very much should be south Georgia/Alabama’s SEC team.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
It’s your money, but for my entertainment/travel/sports money, it is worth it.

We did the repeat to Memphis out of obligation. This is a 9 win Clemson team in a warm city, last time seeing a lot of all-time Cyclones. The extra cost over that Liberty Bowl trip is worth it, and in the grand scheme of things, not that much more.

I've been to almost every bowl game post 2001 (exception being Boise). You can almost always find creative/cheaper ways to make things work.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Many thousands of fans spent a boatload of money on the Vegas trip earlier this fall. I worry that many can't afford another expensive trip.

Reactions: Jdk

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Many thousands of fans spent a boatload of money on the Vegas trip earlier this fall. I worry that many can't afford another expensive trip.

Many thousand fans also weren’t able to attend a bowl game last year and saved up for 2 trips. Our Vegas trip will end up being about 1/3 of this planned Orlando trip.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Anyone who is driving, bring a cooler and stop at Carroll's Sausage store in Ashburn, GA (Georgia Exit 82 on I-75). Largest meat counter I have ever seen. Stop there on the way down to get meats for tailgating and then stop there on the way back to stock up for home.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
If anyone is into an interesting Japanese dining experience, Check out Susuru. The food is amazing. Get there early though. Every time I've ever gone there has been a line waiting for them to open.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Many thousand fans also weren’t able to attend a bowl game last year and saved up for 2 trips. Our Vegas trip will end up being about 1/3 of this planned Orlando trip.
Good for you and your family. However, I question that thousands of fans have saved up for two expensive trips this year. I hope you're right.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Love the match up. Not the destination.

We purchased the charter through ISU Alumni Assocation for ISU-ND camping world bowl in 2019

had to prepay for the “4-day trip”, before the itinerary was released
~ Day 1. Arrived in Orlando at 10pm
~ Day 4 boarded bus for airport at 5:00am
Was expensive and a 2-day affair ; Rained and the game was lousy……. Hotel was chaotic and a cattle call ;

buyer beware. Sorry for the DebbieDowner post.
Alumni people were great
— but this time I’d book hotel SW Florida (St Pete/Sarasota/Clearwater) and vacation there. — and commute to the game
We purchased most expensive seat ticket avail through ISU, that came on last couple of days. Poor high corner seats. If you are coming from Tampa/Clearwater on game day, drive on an empty bladder and stay off I4.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Good for you and your family. However, I question that thousands of fans have saved up for two expensive trips this year. I hope you're right.
Vegas is certainly cheaper than Orlando, at least flight wise for us. But, within the realm of the doable. Flights from Omaha are in the $450=$650 range. Delta is outrageous though...

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I am pre-planned for the Cotton Bowl. Otherwise, I would have enjoyed the trip back home (Orlando Boone High School Graduate) to see the Cyclones!

fyi: There is a Residence Inn by Marriott on 680 North Orange Avenue that is not right next door but a pleasant (30 minute) walk to the Stadium: Take Orange Avenue to Church Street and hang a right. Also, buses run from the Amway Center to the stadium.

Additionally, plenty of decent restaurants close by. Last time I was there (for a Citrus Bowl a few years ago), I went for post Game meal @ Reyes Mezcaleria on 821 North Orange Avenue. Loved that place!

So, if you want to be close enough to walk in a decent part of Downtown with solid restaurant options, North Orange Avenue is my suggestion as a former local.

Have a GREAT time!

Beat the Orange out of the Tigers!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone