Cheese on a pop tart....an Iowa thing?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My weird food combo is cottage cheese and ketchup. Never heard of cheese on a poptart

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
But did you grow up playing Duck, Duck, Goose or Duck, Duck, Gray Duck before your meal of a cinnamon roll and chili (something I'd also never heard of in my 40 years in Iowa before very recently)?

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Yes, pretty much every public school in Iowa does this. It has been an Iowa thing for decades. If you grew up in Iowa you more than likely had a cinnamon roll with Chili and probably chicken soup too all through school. It is for sure an Iowa thing.
Yeah we didn't do this at Ames, and have never heard of anyone doing this before.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I feel sorry for the Iowans that weren't shown the glory of the chili/cinnamon roll combo. Maybe its just a small town thing? I've even seen this combo on restaurant menus in more than one small town.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
But did you grow up playing Duck, Duck, Goose or Duck, Duck, Gray Duck before your meal of a cinnamon roll and chili (something I'd also never heard of in my 40 years in Iowa before very recently)?
Gray duck

What do you call carbonated beverages? Soda or Pop?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If it's just a Rural thing, then it's definitely not every public school in Iowa.

I've lived in Central Iowa my entire life and I've never heard of it.

Might be good, but I didn't know it was a thing.

Oh and this cheese on a poptart thing it complete BS. Sounds like something the weird kid in the dorms who never left his room except to go to class would eat. I don't think that guy even showered or went to the dining hall.

Grew up in eastern Iowa. This is the first I've ever heard about cinnamon rolls and chili - and I wish I'd never heard about it. That just sounds revolting. I mean, who thinks of this ****? "Yeah, this chili is pretty good, but I wonder what could make it better.... Hey, here's an idea - let's pour it into a cinnamon roll bowl." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I feel sorry for the Iowans that weren't shown the glory of the chili/cinnamon roll combo. Maybe its just a small town thing? I've even seen this combo on restaurant menus in more than one small town.

Don't feel sorry for me. I've made it 39 years without ever having to even comprehend such a thing. I'm good.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Spent my whole life in central Iowa and I've never heard of cinnamon rolls and chili, but it doesn't sound near as disgusting as cheese and a pop tart. I would try it. According to this article it's not unique to Iowa.

http://q13fox.com/2016/09/23/chili-...e-murky-origin-of-the-nostalgic-food-pairing/
Yes, I've seen where Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Washington all claim to be the origin of cinnamon rolls and Chili. There also seems to be just as many from all these areas that have never heard of it as that have.

And according to the original article the cheese and pop tarts is fake. It was a publicity stunt/dare.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
I grew up in Webster City and my wife in Red Oak. Both schools had chili and cinnamon rolls as school lunch probably twice a month. It’s still on our kids school menus. I have a lunch meeting for about 50 customers every winter and we serve homemade chili and cinnamon rolls. All of them love it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1