CHECK OUT THIS LINK TO HARBAUGH!!

cyclonedrew

Apr 11, 2006
Why would Harbaugh leave San Diego, CA to come to a program in the cold, and has never won before. It would make no sense. I could see Harbough leave for a team like Arizona State before I could see him come to Ames.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
He sounds like a great coach. But he is living near San Deigo. How do you plan on luring him to Iowa. I know he played for Indy, Chicago, and College in Michigan but notice, that after playing for the Chargers, he decided that San Diego was where he wanted to be. I just don't think, without an enormous sum of money, you'll get him to Ames. Not saying he isn't worth a shot. I think we should at least give him the opportunity to say "yes" or "no". I just don't think it will happen.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Why would Harbaugh leave San Diego, CA to come to a program in the cold, and has never won before. It would make no sense. I could see Harbough leave for a team like Arizona State before I could see him come to Ames.

You beat me to it by a couple seconds :)

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Harbaugh has some character issues. I know of a first hand account that's pretty bad. Secondly, as a player, I always thought his football IQ was pretty low. He always played hard though, and he was a tough player, not afraid to take a hit.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Harbaugh has some character issues. I know of a first hand account that's pretty bad. Secondly, as a player, I always thought his football IQ was pretty low. He always played hard though, and he was a tough player, not afraid to take a hit.

Didn't he get on OWI within the past year? I believe he did.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
He sounds like a great coach. But he is living near San Deigo. How do you plan on luring him to Iowa. I know he played for Indy, Chicago, and College in Michigan but notice, that after playing for the Chargers, he decided that San Diego was where he wanted to be. I just don't think, without an enormous sum of money, you'll get him to Ames. Not saying he isn't worth a shot. I think we should at least give him the opportunity to say "yes" or "no". I just don't think it will happen.

Agreed, Harbaugh will never come to Ames, and I doubt he needs the money what so ever!

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
Yes, Harbaugh did get a DUI about this time last year. He claimes that it is something that he has used to make changes in his life. I'm a long, long way from being perfect, and I doubt any of us out there are perfect. Even McCarney had a restraining order placed upon him by his now ex-wife.

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
I agree with the posters who say he's not coming. No way will he come here. He doesn't need the money and he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder to prove to people he can coach. He doesn't have the hunger to take a program like ISU.

We need someone VERY hungry.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Actually, Harbauugh is very hungry. He is coaching a school that just played Drake. No scholarships. His desire is to be a big time coach. Would he come to Ames vs. where he is. No question. Will we hire him. I very very much doubt it. Not because he would not be interested, but because JP will want someone that has either been HC at a larger school (not talking BCS, but successful in a big program) or a Coordinator at a BCS school.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Keep in mind Harbaugh has not proven he can recruit yet, or has he? He is playing with the previous coaches players.

Also, I do not claim to be a Mac fan, but Ericlambi, I believe that last comment was uncalled for.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
Keep in mind Harbaugh has not proven he can recruit yet, or has he? He is playing with the previous coaches players.

Also, I do not claim to be a Mac fan, but Ericlambi, I believe that last comment was uncalled for.

Sometimes the truth hurts. I believe this is a matter of public record.

hansen55

Apr 12, 2006
Avoca, IA
I promise that I'll stop beating a dead horse with this write-up, but I'm going to throw this out one more time because it took a while and I researched my a@# off to write it. There are a couple of decent links at the bottom.

We need a coach that:

- is already a SUCCESSFUL HEAD COACH!
You can't say he isn't a successful head coach. 2004: 7-4; 2005: 11-1 & #1 1-AA Midmajor Program; 2006: 8-0 so far. They have won 22 of 23 of their last games. They are currently ranked #20 in all I-AA programs. UNI isn't far ahead of USD at #7, and they are able to give scholarships. I wish I had a better way to compare, but UNI beat Drake 48-7 and USD beat #2 Mid-Major I-AA Drake (6-1) 37-0 both at Drake. It just isn't how it works, but I thought I would include it for S#$%'s and giggles. Plus, I believe Drake is now 7-1. I don't think Harbaugh is any riskier than hiring Mark Farley, i.e. Terry Allen at Kansas. I would much rather see us hire Harbaugh than Farley.

He was the Oakland Raiders' QB/Quality Control Coach for 2 years in 2002 and 2003 before taking the job at USD. Al Davis thought he had the potential to be the Raiders' Head Coach.

Ohio State looked for a winner when they needed to replace John Cooper. They found it in the form of I-AA Youngstown State's Jim Tressel. Why can't we turn to a smaller school? I know the PFL and the Big XII are no even on the same map, but I wouldn't say you can even see the Gateway Conference from the Big Ten.

- has been SUCCESSFUL AT EVERY LEVEL OF PLAY!
I'm going to assume he was pretty damn good in high school. He was a 4-year letter winner at Michigan, the 1986 Big Ten Player of the Year, finished 3rd in Heisman Troph voting in 1986, and lead Michigan to a final #2 national ranking. He was a 1st Round Draft Pick for the Chicago Bears in 1987. He played in the NFL for 15 seasons for the Bears, Colts, Ravens, Lions, Chargers, and Panthers. Member of the Colt's Ring of Honor.

- can RECRUIT!
He helped to recruit for his father who was the head coach at Western Kentucky (I-AA) from 1994-2001 during his last 8 years in the NFL due to budget cut backs at Western Kentucky. His father's 2002 Western Kentucky team won the I-AA National Title. Seventeen of the players on the squad were recruited by the younger Harbaugh. He concentrated mainly on recruiting Florida, Indiana, and Illinois. I imagine he has expanded his recruiting base greatly in southern California since taking the head coaching position at USD. If he could get an assistant or two that could recruit Texas, he would be set. Our recruiting is really going to fall to pieces soon because high school players are going to really, really sense the change coming. I mean worse than it is currently.

- is somebody PEOPLE ALREADY KNOW!
He could recruit quarterbacks and recievers like no other. If he had more resources or any scholarships at all, he could do something special. He runs a West Coast offense with a formidable running game. I imagine it is similar to Nebraska. What quarterback wouldn't want to play for somebody like this guy? If you haven't heard of Jim Harbaugh you have been living in a cave for the last 25 years.

- can GENERATE MONEY! NOW MORE THAN EVER!
We need something to change, ASAP. I think any change would help to generate more money for next season/the not so distant future. Ticket sales will most likely take a huge hit if something isn't done. People might even buy tickets just to see something different. JP can sell just about anything, buy it is damn hard to sell a 3 or 4 win season. We need a glimmer of hope no matter who is the coach next season.

- can DEVELOP YOUNG TALENT!
2004 USD starting QB Todd Mortensen signed as free-agent with the Detroit Lions. He is now with the Patriots in NFL Europe. This is the same guy that was only competing for playing time at BYU. He graduated early from BYU and enrolled in graduate school at USD. Harbaugh helped to develop him into a player that could at least make an NFL squad in some capacity. He could really develop players into something special if he had them for 4 years.

It isn't all that impressive unless you consider the level of football the guy was playing at in college. A backup QB for BYU isn't impressive. That is like having Kyle Van Winkle, Waye Terry, or Austin Flynn at QB in my eyes. None of those guys will be going to the NFL to play quarterback in any shape or form. Note: I hope Flynn makes it as a reciever. Imagine Bret Meyer and Austin Arnaud under his tutelage. Plus, these guys can scramble.

He will also take snaps with the scout team at USD. Your D-backs would learn a thing or two practicing against Harbaugh which is something we desperately need.

- can OUTCOACH SOMEONE ELSE!
If he has won 22 of his last 23 games, he has been outcoaching most everybody he has coached against. He says that he has taken the time to learn the ropes from his father who coached at Western Kentucky for 14 years, Bo Schembechler at Michigan, and Mike Ditka at Chicago among others. He has others on his staff that know how to win. Dave Adolph (older than dirt) his defensive coordinator has coached at Ohio State under Woody Hayes, as D-line coach, defensive coordinator, assistant head coach/linebackers coach for the Chiefs, Browns, Chargers, and Raiders. He'll bring in the right people to help get the job done.

- wasn't a COACH AT IOWA!
Nope! Note: Ferentz was only the O-line coach for Pittsburgh and Iowa before going to the Browns and Ravens as O-line coach. He was also only 12-21 as head coach at I-AA Maine from 1990-1992. He also only played at I-AA (at the time) UConn. The point here being that I/most everyone else had never heard of him before he was hired at Iowa as head coach. We could have a household name right out of the blocks.

- can energize our FANBASE TO ANOTHER LEVEL!
Anything would help, but I think the presence of an NFL quarterback would get our entire fanbase ready to go. He is a leader that has been molded for a head coaching spot for nearly all of his life. He is only 41 and would surround the program with a lot of energy. He will win and bring in a lot of MONEY!

- didn't play O-LINE or D-LINE! I want a coach that played a SKILL POSITION! O-LINE/D-LINE Players should be O-LINE/D-LINE Coaches!
He is a great quarterback that wants to be a great collegiate head coach. Finally this completes my last requirement. It isn't impossible.

Please take the time to read the link with my first post and the following:

http://www.sdhoc.com/main/articles/t...&year:int=2005

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...gh-cover_x.htm

Why not start talking about a change? What are we going to do? Perhaps lose all of our games or get embarrassed everytime we take the field. We can't just accept our current state. If JP doesn't make a change, he is the one that doesn't have enough sense.

You are correct, Dennis Green will be available for hire...SOON! I would gladly take Gene Chizik if we could get him. He would be an outstanding hire.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
We need a coach that:
- wasn't a COACH AT IOWA!
I like that. Plus, he was actually a rival QB and used to play against Chuck Long. In 1986, Harbaugh finished third in the Heisman balloting (and Michigan, second in the national polls), one year after Long finished second.

Not only is he not a Hawk, but like Mac, Harbaugh would be personally motivated to beat them.

Last edited:

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It's hard to tell where a person would like to live. Ames is a nice community. Of course it's not San Diego, but I think Harbaugh will be able to afford a few visits back there every week or two.

Like I've said before, a coach like Harbaugh could build a name for him as a coach at a school like Iowa State by building something great out of something not-so-great. It's not like our football program is completely dead, we're just misfiring horribly this year without much hope for the next couple of years.

I don't think it would be that big of a stretch to say Harbaugh would come to Ames as a head coach of a BCS school in the Big 12.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
Now, I'm not, and don't pretend to be, an expert on this type of thing. That is why I don't post about it. But I'm a little confused here. Wasn't there quite a bit of dislike for Chuck Long while he was at Oklahoma (especially from Okalhomans)? And he still got the San Diego State job. Wasn't one of the people he beat for the job Jim Harbaugh?

I'm not saying one way or the other whether Jim Harbaugh would be a good hire. I'm just throwing this out there....

tycobb

Apr 20, 2006
we wouldnt hire a guy because he has a owi?

wow! things have changed so much concerning owis. I really dont think its a big deal, just a money grab by governments to get money, alot of money. The alchohol level has been lowered to a ridiculus level so if u have mouth wash on ur breath u might fail. p.s. i dont drink anymore.