Check out this AMAZING Cyclone "tornado" logo concept

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
As a way to sort of put an exclamation point on this discussion, I mocked up what should be our permanent helmets using amestoplease's "tornado" concept that tick off a whole variety of boxes while being traditional, modern, and historical all at the same time:

• Separates our brand from USC by using yellow helmets primarily.
  • Honors our 120 year old nickname of Cyclones.
  • Introduces a bit of white onto the helmet that can be mimicked on the uniform stripes too (a la '70s throwbacks).
  • For the purposes of a helmet, the logo used is far more iconic than the current I-STATE. (The I-STATE logo could be on the pants or jersey somewhere.
  • Deeper gold color to honor Jack Trice's gold jersey he wore in his only "real game" for ISU.
  • Tornado logo could be either the solid color version or the shaded version seen here.

attachment.php

I approve

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I love it when we reach the point in every uniform/helmet thread where things begin to get heated.

popcorn_yes.gif

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
My wife is a born and raised Sooner fan, and she has a bunch of I-STATE stuff now (she likes the logo), so perhaps she has offset you. It would be interesting to know if other fans are boycotting merchandise strictly on the basis of not liking the logo. Judging by what I see at the games I can attend, it would seem that not many are. However, if a number of people are boycotting merchandise, then that would certainly be an issue.

Is that really a need, or just a preference?

I guess we will just have to disagree on these things. As a number of us have already mentioned, I-STATE seems to be doing just fine in the recognition department. Again, if there is marketing data showing that the current mark set is falling short in the name recognition area or in other areas as you suggest, then perhaps something needs to be done.

Ok... either you are being a jerk or you are completely missing the point. Do you think a cyclone or an old walking cy would be better than the crap secondary logos we have now? I do not see many people wearing merchandise with our secondary logos the ones that do are old men that saw they were on sale for 75% off because they sit on the shelf. It is really simple. If it looks cool and is different from what you have now you buy it = more money for AD. Right now people have stuff with the primary logo and that's it. There comes a point when your wife starts looking for other things to get you for your birthday because as Josh said it is all the same. Plus a lot of people want variety not wearing the same crap as everyone else. Variety is good. We don't have it. I see a good walking cy or a shirt with that cyclone on it I would buy it along with hats, pullovers etc. Current secondary logo? Nope. I wouldn't even wear it, even if given to me (I have a couple in my closet from my mother in law). So yeah, I am 99.9% sure you are wrong here. You are trying to make it I STATE vs. Cyclone.... that isn't the argument

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Variety is good. We don't have it. I see a good walking cy or a shirt with that cyclone on it I would buy it along with hats pullovers etc. Current secondary logo? Nope. I wouldn't even wear it if given to me (I have a couple in my closet from my mother in law).

Ok. Make the case to the ISU AD that adding this tornado logo to the marking package, or changing the secondary mark will be beneficial to the AD. Pollard is an astute business man...let him decide. Kagavi seems to be claiming above that it would be pretty easy to make a business case for this, although when I asked him if he was going to do it, he didn't respond. Maybe it is already in the works.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Give me current secondary logo sales data and I will get right on it. These guys do this for a living and you are demonstrating you don't know what you a are talking about. they did give you the business case. It would cost next to nothing. And it would generate money.....pretty simple. P.S. Lear field does not manage the brand. They manage sponsorships and 3rd tier media. ISU has a licencing royalty department.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Ok. Make the case to the ISU AD that adding this tornado logo to the marking package, or changing the secondary mark will be beneficial to the AD. Pollard is an astute business man...let him decide. Kagavi seems to be claiming above that it would be pretty easy to make a business case for this, although when I asked him if he was going to do it, he didn't respond. Maybe it is already in the works.

i cant tell if youre incredibly condescending or just repeatedly acknowledge the fact that you have no idea what youre talking about. in every 2nd or 3rd post you make on this thread, you try to make a case for whatever it is youre trying to say and then throw in some line like:

'It might work that way, but I don't think so.'

'I don't know. Maybe you do.'

'Maybe you know the designer and have that information.'

'Perhaps you have, or are in the process of doing so.'

'Perhaps your research indicates differently.'

'But perhaps times are different now.'

'Maybe it is already in the works.'

for all you know, jamie pollard could be hand painting new helmets with this logo as we speak. and thats just it, you dont know, and the point of this thread isnt really to inform you if something is actually int he works. does someone need to ask you for permission or something? its just concept art, no need to embarrass yourself over it.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
That's sexy.

I'll say the same thing about this helmet that I did about the Jack Trice uni's: If you're worried about the cost, make it and let the fans buy them when done. Make it a trial run to see how it works out. I guarantee I will buy one after its used.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
Bump again.

^excellent work, amestoplease.^

I would love to see how the whole uniform looks using this logo. I really love the idea of gold/yellow helmets on cardinal jerseys with cardinal pants. Quite different from USC.

attachment.php

Attachments

• isu_football_side_concept10.jpg
    isu_football_side_concept10.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 320

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
A little suggestion, if I may:

On the right side of the helmet I reversed the tip of the tornado so that it looked like its forward momentum matched the direction the player was facing:

501600.jpg

501604.jpg

Please forgive my primitive techniques.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
This, this, this. Would give you multiple thumbs up if I could. Walking Cy is the best ever. Hands down.
Maybe this walking cy with the new I-state on his chest to reinforce the primary logo. I like the idea of this and the tornado as our secondary logos/ identity package

Apr 19, 2006
I think they should incorporate/paint this design into the endzone club seats. Then on game days give them cards (which are coordinated with the design) that can be held up for the start of the game when the team runs out.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
A little suggestion, if I may:

On the right side of the helmet I reversed the tip of the tornado so that it looked like its forward momentum matched the direction the player was facing:

501600.jpg

501604.jpg

Please forgive my primitive techniques.

interesting idea.

attachment.php

Attachments

• isu_helmet_gold_mirror.jpg
    isu_helmet_gold_mirror.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 351