Charlie Rogers transferred to IWCC?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
No idea what to think here. Disappointment is first reaction though.

Edit: and second thought is: does this change the relationship between ISU coaches and the IWCC program?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Edit: and second thought is: does this change the relationship between ISU coaches and the IWCC program?

Doubt it, one person transferring there from here isn't going to stop them from recruiting the plethora of talent that goes through there every year.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
If he steps back up to Division 1 does he have to lose a year of eligibility since he already played D-1 ball? Since he's from IC I wonder if his intention is to play at IWCC 1 year then go to Iowa to prevent losing a year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Not at all, maybe even improves the relationship. I'm sure he decided to leave and then IWCC got involved. It's not like they recruited him while he still wanted to be at ISU.

This sucks though, he must have taken getting benched in favor of Tribune a lot harder than it seemed.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Not necessarily...might have been a 'let's sit down and talk about your future' discussion with him, and if he didn't see a lot of field time, he maybe mentioned transferring. IWCC's game will be getting guys to D1 programs. Might be a case where ISU looks at it where it didn't work out, him going to IWCC might be a you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours if we get something like this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If he steps back up to Division 1 does he have to lose a year of eligibility since he already played D-1 ball? Since he's from IC I wonder if his intention is to play at IWCC 1 year then go to Iowa to prevent losing a year.

No he doesn't lose a year.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Not necessarily...might have been a 'let's sit down and talk about your future' discussion with him, and if he didn't see a lot of field time, he maybe mentioned transferring. IWCC's game will be getting guys to D1 programs. Might be a case where ISU looks at it where it didn't work out, him going to IWCC might be a you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours if we get something like this.

Yeah, I'm sure behind the scenes this is a "scratch/scratch" type of deal. it does create a weird wrinkle...if he does good there...do we re-recruit him? You'd think so...and hope we had the advantage...but what if for whatever reason he didn't do well...and we didnt...just kinda odd all around.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This sucks though, he must have taken getting benched in favor of Tribune a lot harder than it seemed.

I never had the impression he was "benched in favor of Tribune". He was playing nickel by then, not corner.

Perhaps he simply wants a chance to play safety (or corner), and knew that ISU needed him at nickel. We'll see. Good luck to him.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I don't know. It's not like he wasn't anywhere close. He was likely going to compete for a bunch of different spots so at this point in the year, I don't see the reasoning. He could have gone through spring ball and with a good spring been the guy to beat at a number of positions. It all just doesn't make sense to me if it's playing time related.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I never had the impression he was "benched in favor of Tribune". He was playing nickel by then, not corner.

Perhaps he simply wants a chance to play safety (or corner), and knew that ISU needed him at nickel. We'll see. Good luck to him.

They elevated Tribune over Rogers. That's not a secret and it's not debatable. They didn't think Rogers was as good of an option after the UNI game.

Does anyone remember him playing badly? I thought he played pretty well didn't he?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
They elevated Tribune over Rogers. That's not a secret and it's not debatable. They didn't think Rogers was as good of an option after the UNI game.

Does anyone remember him playing badly? I thought he played pretty well didn't he?

It's not "elevating" Tribune over Rogers if Charlie is playing a different position. I don't believe Rogers played a single down at CB after the UNI game. He played solely at the nickel.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Didn't he start the UNI game at CB? I understand he was playing Nickel the rest of the season but if he was better then Tribune why wouldn't the coaches have left him at the spot where he'd get the most snaps?

From the outside it looked to me like the coaches preferred Tribune at CB so Rogers got put back into the Nickel.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The kid must have some other issues other issues. He was never offered by Iowa out of high school which was shocking.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

I thought he was our best DB in that game.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

It's not like I watched tape but he didn't have a whole lot of action on his side, which is a good sign. I was surprised Richardson and Tribune started the next game and not Rogers and Tribune.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I thought he was more gifted than Sam Richardson. Who knows with all the JUCOs coming in.

Help Support Us

Become a patron