Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

jdolson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2006
God's Country
From what I'm hearing, from an Osage perspective, is that its 50/50.
On the Minus side: Increased travel (the TIC East is great)
Becoming the smallest school in the conference.
On the Plus side: Increased competition (Good/Bad depending on which way you think),
Scheduling lower level (middle school) games and activities is easier and more reliable.
Perceived long term stability

The TIC East has been good for Osage as far as winning conference championships. It helps being the largest school on this side. You'd ultimately like to be "battled tested" heading to a postseason, and that's mainly in both girls and boys basketball, and you would have that in the NEIC. Sports like Volleyball and Wrestling have been traveling on weekends for years to get competition, because their not getting it in the TIC.

With other similar size schools, not accepting their invite, I see the Osage decision leaning more towards NO also. Even if Osage stays in the TIC East, changes are coming. Whispers of the Iowa Star conference inviting a few teams to join. I grew up and played in the old North Iowa Conference. There were some long road trips, I see Osage's sweet travel logistics changing, whether we stay in the TIC or go with NEIC.

It will be interesting for sure how this all plays out!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From what I'm hearing, from an Osage perspective, is that its 50/50.
On the Minus side: Increased travel (the TIC East is great)
Becoming the smallest school in the conference.
On the Plus side: Increased competition (Good/Bad depending on which way you think),
Scheduling lower level (middle school) games and activities is easier and more reliable.
Perceived long term stability

The TIC East has been good for Osage as far as winning conference championships. It helps being the largest school on this side. You'd ultimately like to be "battled tested" heading to a postseason, and that's mainly in both girls and boys basketball, and you would have that in the NEIC. Sports like Volleyball and Wrestling have been traveling on weekends for years to get competition, because their not getting it in the TIC.

With other similar size schools, not accepting their invite, I see the Osage decision leaning more towards NO also. Even if Osage stays in the TIC East, changes are coming. Whispers of the Iowa Star conference inviting a few teams to join. I grew up and played in the old North Iowa Conference. There were some long road trips, I see Osage's sweet travel logistics changing, whether we stay in the TIC or go with NEIC.

It will be interesting for sure how this all plays out!
The north Iowa conference messed up when they threw the bone to the corn bowl. Wrestling drove that. The TIC west has 4 of the 5 biggest schools in it. If Osage had not went to the east FC and LM would have solved their VB problems. LM had won the conference like 15 years straight and usually FC was second. Wrestling is Osages issue. It’s a sport that is fading at most schools. Osage either needs to change for one sport or realize that they are an island.

Stability? If they went NEIC, they would be one of 6. That doesn’t sound real stable. From what information was put out (from people who were deep into this) Osage was one of the main pushers to make the TIC. They now have to see if they made things better or worse for everybody and themselves.

I always thought it was a bad move.

Reactions: jdolson

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Them staying in the Top of Iowa isn't a bad thing in my opinion but the conference may need some reworking.
Problem is how. The fringe schools are the small ones. North Union and North Iowa going to Nashua or north butler (and vice versa) is not a good trip. Osage to eagle grove? Saint Ansgar to Garrigan? There are not a lot of options to make people happy. Only thing I saw was do north of 18 and south of 18. That would salve some but put north Iowa into a mess.

18 is too many.

Let Eagle grove go back to the NCC(they have been talking about it).

Let NI and NU go west.

Let Rockford and north butler go the one with Janesville and Clarksville.

And one other, Nashua or garrigan, go elsewhere and leave 12 teams. Size wise would be fairly solid and competitive.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

jdolson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 4, 2006
God's Country
The north Iowa conference messed up when they threw the bone to the corn bowl. Wrestling drove that. The TIC west has 4 of the 5 biggest schools in it. If Osage had not went to the east FC and LM would have solved their VB problems. LM had won the conference like 15 years straight and usually FC was second. Wrestling is Osages issue. It’s a sport that is fading at most schools. Osage either needs to change for one sport or realize that they are an island.

Stability? If they went NEIC, they would be one of 6. That doesn’t sound real stable. From what information was put out (from people who were deep into this) Osage was one of the main pushers to make the TIC. They now have to see if they made things better or worse for everybody and themselves.

I always thought it was a bad move.
As far as Wrestling goes, I agree. Whatever change happens, the wrestling team will continue to wrestle at tournaments throughout the state and Midwest like they have for the last decade plus. I would absolutely be fine with a 10-12 team made up of old NIC foes and some old Corn Bowl additions.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I know a few years ago they switched some things around and basically allowed those kids who weren't going into college to focused on a trade oriented path and split up the trades between the schools. I think that's a fantastic idea. I agree that they need to redraw the boundaries. When I was in high school in the early 00's, their sports teams had trouble filling out entire rosters and its only gotten worse since. Their AD Tim Moses has done an excellent job with the hand he's been dealt. That guys bleeds Orange and Black and genuinely cares about the kids.
Nothing to add except that I’ve done some work with Tim Moses and he’s an awesome dude

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Nothing to add except that I’ve done some work with Tim Moses and he’s an awesome dude
Tim was the youth sports director at the YMCA for a bit when I was a young kid. He’s like a second father to me. That’s a guy who is 100% genuine in what he does. Even if I don’t see him for a couple of years, the next time I see him, it’s like we just talked yesterday.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Tim was the youth sports director at the YMCA for a bit when I was a young kid. He’s like a second father to me. That’s a guy who is 100% genuine in what he does. Even if I don’t see him for a couple of years, the next time I see him, it’s like we just talked yesterday.
Is that JJs brother or uncle? Or another relative?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
In my line of work he has no reason to remember me but will make a point to say hi every time I see him. And always very positive

Reactions: GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
In my line of work he has no reason to remember me but will make a point to say hi every time I see him. And always very positive
He knew most of the athletes at other schools. Would make it a point to go up to them and ask them how they are doing. I enjoyed being in conference with East because I was able to talk to him often.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Great point. Every time I see Tim, whether it's bumping into him at a restaurant or during a meeting for an organization we both volunteer for, it's like we've been best friends for 30 years. Warm, personable, inviting.

He and his wife are just flat great people and I'm hoping that moving to a league where East might have a chance to compete will see his hard work payoff.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Everybody has said no except Osage who is still considering. I think the NEIC is dead.

Waverly apparently rescinded their application to the MVC and is going to apply to the WaMaC who has said they won't get a single vote to approve that application.
This isn’t true.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron