Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've got some inside information for the first time in my CF history: man, are those schools sick of Waverly. And not just because of this racist behavior this summer. The arrogance, recuiting of athletes, win-at-costs ... a whole bunch of factors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crestwood and Decorah join them, as 3A schools.

When I played, the whole conference was 3A but New Hampton, Waukon and Oelwein have seen their enrollments drip.

The NEIC is 100 years old. Too bad it's come to this.
Your inside info thinks Cresco, Decorah and Waverly remain in 3A, while the others dip down to 2A? Only reason that surprises me is because Cresco/ Crestwood always struck me as sisters of the poor and less fortunate like CC and NH

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I competed against WSR in high school and lived there as an adult for a year or so. The town is full of self righteous douches. Something about the student athletes and parents just seemed hoity toity compared to other NEIC schools. Like their shi* didn't stink or something. We were the poor kids of meth or crack heads from Charles City, Cresco, New Hampton, Oelwein etc. Decorah was also bad, but Waverly takes the cake.

Charles city is a shrinking town with dwindling population. To stay 3A in most sports they should honestly look into consolidating with New Hampton, where the same thing is happening (dying a slow, sad death). Otherwise they, new Hampton and Cresco, should look to dip down into 2A and join a conference with Osage, Forest City, clear lake etc. You're getting a little spread out, but i feel like it could work.

WSR sounds a little like a town farther south, with green and white uniforms, and a lot of tulips.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
WSR sounds a little like a town farther south, with green and white uniforms, and a lot of tulips.

Same....but different.

Waverly is a wealthy community, but has a very liberal college / Church community.

Pella is a wealthy community, but is a very conservative college / Church community.

Both arrogant school systems - but Pella actually backs up their claims by winning state championships. Waverly is just boastful (and apparently racist).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same....but different.

Waverly is a wealthy community, but has a very liberal college / Church community.

Pella is a wealthy community, but is a very conservative college / Church community.

Both arrogant school systems - but Pella actually backs up their claims by winning state championships. Waverly is just boastful (and apparently racist).

Wartburg isn't liberal.

Luther was known as the liberal spot amongst those schools.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
So all schools but the offender would leave and form a new conference?

They will have two divisions. One is named Leaders and the other will be called Legends. That worked wonders for the last set of high schools that tried it.

Reactions: Macloney and Acylum

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Same....but different.

Hasn't Waverly won titles in wrestling before?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Wartburg isn't liberal.

Luther was known as the liberal spot amongst those schools.

I would think Simpson would rank right up there as far as being liberal in that small college conference.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Same....but different.

Better be blond in Pella

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It’s basically a mini Cedar Falls.
They're definitely a wannabee Cedar Falls. Having lived in both I can tell you they're distinctly different. It's like if cedar falls and waterloo conceived and had an illegitimate red headed runt of a child that ran a little short on oxygen in the womb, it would be Waverly.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Your inside info thinks Cresco, Decorah and Waverly remain in 3A, while the others dip down to 2A? Only reason that surprises me is because Cresco/ Crestwood always struck me as sisters of the poor and less fortunate like CC and NH
I was unclear there. It's my understanding that those are their current classes (I live in a diff time zone). I have 2 close friends on the school board of one of the 3A schools in that conference; one of them told me that other schools are upset with Waverly. I might be wrong on Cresco's current classification.

I'm surprised the Charles City wants to break away instead of simply trying to push Waverly out.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Same....but different.

There's a big difference between arrogance based on HS sports and overt racism toward others IMO.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was unclear there. It's my understanding that those are their current classes (I live in a diff time zone). I have 2 close friends on the school board of one of the 3A schools in that conference; one of them told me that other schools are upset with Waverly. I might be wrong on Cresco's current classification.

I'm surprised the Charles City wants to break away instead of simply trying to push Waverly out.
I am too unless it's a matter of looking to go down a class. Which I think they maybe have done in a few sports already.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I had to double check, turns out Charles City is still predominately 3A across the board. It's actually Cresco, New Hampton, Waukon and Oelwein that identify as 2A schools now. Pretty much just CC, Decorah, and WSR are the 3A schools in the NEIC now. I'm not even sure how that works, especially with how they redid the football districts. Mason City and Clinton now compete at a 3A level, who knew?

The point of a conference should be to compete against one another, but Charles City doesn't appear to be competing against the NEIC schools anymore, besides Decorah and WSR. Perhaps therein lies the desire to move on

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've got some inside information for the first time in my CF history: man, are those schools sick of Waverly. And not just because of this racist behavior this summer. The arrogance, recuiting of athletes, win-at-costs ... a whole bunch of factors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crestwood and Decorah join them, as 3A schools.

When I played, the whole conference was 3A but New Hampton, Waukon and Oelwein have seen their enrollments drip.

The NEIC is 100 years old. Too bad it's come to this.

I live in the Howard-Winneshiek district (Crestwood) and we dance on the 2A/3A line every year. Either the biggest 2A school or the smallest 3A school.

It's true though that everyone hates Waverly, and they really don't belong in this conference anymore, from a size perspective.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had to double check, turns out Charles City is still predominately 3A across the board. It's actually Cresco, New Hampton, Waukon and Oelwein that identify as 2A schools now. Pretty much just CC, Decorah, and WSR are the 3A schools in the NEIC now. I'm not even sure how that works, especially with how they redid the football districts. Mason City and Clinton now compete at a 3A level, who knew?

The point of a conference should be to compete against one another, but Charles City doesn't appear to be competing against the NEIC schools anymore, besides Decorah and WSR. Perhaps therein lies the desire to move on

They play a full conference schedule in every sport other than football.

Crestwood plays Decorah in football (non district) every year (it's a massive rivalry) and it seems like they play WSR most years too.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth