Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Maquoketa sure had a bunch of racists. We heard nothing but racist crap from them every time we played them.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The thing that makes the most sense is the NEIC and Mississippi Valley trading Waverly for Waterloo East but, god knows, Waverly has no intentions of being anywhere where they don't dwarf everybody else's budget and enrollment.

And, yeah, Waverly pulling this stuff has been going on forever.

EDIT: With Oelwein moving to the NICL next year, they're going to have to reshuffle and look at Clear Lake, Forrest City and Hampton-Dumont/CAL.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Were the people that participated in the actions every given any scrutiny by WSR that we know of?

That would maybe be a good place to start for them to save some face.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Were the people that participated in the actions every given any scrutiny by WSR that we know of?

That would maybe be a good place to start for them to save some face.
It doesn't sound like the Charles City folks think enough was done to address it

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It doesn't sound like the Charles City folks think enough was done to address it

If I were to guess, those who had the ability to give that scrutiny, went at it with a 'this kind of thing used to happen all the time and people didn't get in trouble for it', like it was OK ever.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So all schools but the offender would leave and form a new conference?

The story talks about fan behavior multiple times but the WSR rep says all of the people involved are students so they can't make anything public. Seems unlikely all the fans are students.

Easy to see the frustration.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
The story talks about fan behavior multiple times but the WSR rep says all of the people involved are students so they can't make anything public. Seems unlikely all the fans are students.

Easy to see the frustration.
From my experience playing them in sports, its not just the students who are doing things like that. Granted, things could have changed over the last 15-20 years, but I highly doubt it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
From my experience playing them in sports, its not just the students who are doing things like that. Granted, things could have changed over the last 15-20 years, but I highly doubt it.
That's pretty sad it's almost a school tradition at this point.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Can also confirm from 2008ish they were pretty terrible. I spiked a guy who kept calling our pitcher a gay slur.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LancelotClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I competed against WSR in high school and lived there as an adult for a year or so. The town is full of self righteous douches. Something about the student athletes and parents just seemed hoity toity compared to other NEIC schools. Like their shi* didn't stink or something. We were the poor kids of meth or crack heads from Charles City, Cresco, New Hampton, Oelwein etc. Decorah was also bad, but Waverly takes the cake.

Charles city is a shrinking town with dwindling population. To stay 3A in most sports they should honestly look into consolidating with New Hampton, where the same thing is happening (dying a slow, sad death). Otherwise they, new Hampton and Cresco, should look to dip down into 2A and join a conference with Osage, Forest City, clear lake etc. You're getting a little spread out, but i feel like it could work.

Reactions: Candide

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I've got some inside information for the first time in my CF history: man, are those schools sick of Waverly. And not just because of this racist behavior this summer. The arrogance, recuiting of athletes, win-at-costs ... a whole bunch of factors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Crestwood and Decorah join them, as 3A schools.

When I played, the whole conference was 3A but New Hampton, Waukon and Oelwein have seen their enrollments drip.

The NEIC is 100 years old. Too bad it's come to this.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
North Central Conference could potentially be a home for the western schools. They've been hanging out at 8 for awhile now.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That task force's job? To determine if the Comets should remain in the NEIC.

And during a school board meeting Monday night, that task force recommended Charles City leave the NEIC within the next two years.

Another example of how 2+2=1,127 for some people.

You don’t run away from a problem. You find proactive ways to deal with it.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
My experience in Waverly was exactly like the movie Disturbing Behavior, but before the movie came out. There was a small group of outcasts that I had never experienced anything like before in terms of music, clothes, ideologies and knowledge of things I had no idea existed. Then there was everyone else that really were stereotypical meatheads and d-bags.

I had a lot of fun partying there and made some good friends, but it isn't the kind of place you want to spend too much time in.

1600384397991.png

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney