Chanting "Overrated"

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
I'll have to go back and watch on DVR. I don't doubt you all who were at the game, I totally believe you, but I wonder if ESPN dubbed in an "Overrated" chant. I could have sworn that's what it was, my wife too. I even questioned why we were yelling that with 6 minutes left in the game.

Not once did it ever sound to me it was "f--- McGary"

Nice win Cyclones. We're going to be a tough team to take this year.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I say WELL DONE, students. Sure, there are probably more original chants than "F*** (insert name here)", but the passion and intensity were brought today. Hilton should always be an intimidating place to play, and as long as we aren't making threats or physically hurting people, all is well.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
First, for those concerned that we did not represent well on a national stage chanting the f*** McGary chant, I wouldn't be to concerned because anyone that watched the game on tv clearly thought we were chanting overrated.

Second, I both attended the game and then I watched it again on the DVR. I will say that if you were not in attendance you couldn't get an appreciation for the type of player McGary was on tv. He has a dirty side to him and it's a bit on the down low. He's not over flagrant with his actions, but none the less dirty IMO. Would it perhaps be a bit better if the student section didn't use the f*ck chant over and over, probably, but we do have to remember they are young adults and I'm not sure how well the adults handle themselves at time.

Third, I want to thank the students and really appreciate how well they showed up and cheered there butts off!! There is no doubt that they are a huge part of what creates hilton magic. Attend a game during break and you will see and feel the difference. Although this does not perhaps excuse their choice in wording at times, I love that they have a passion for the team and stand up for them when players like McGary take some cheap shots. They are able to express to the officials what the players and the coaches can not. In addition, our fans have had a tough year so far and sometimes those frustrations manifest themselves at the wrong time. Winning cures a lot of things.

Fourth, I have no problem with the students storming the court. They're kids and are just having fun. I would love to be back in their position and take such joy in the simple things. We have to remember these athletes are their classmates and they just want to celebrate with them. Again, rushing the court is more than just beating Michigan, it has to do with the "breaks" going our way, not getting hosed by a bad call or a lucky last second shot. Try not to get to bent out of shape. I love that they care.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'll have to go back and watch on DVR. I don't doubt you all who were at the game, I totally believe you, but I wonder if ESPN dubbed in an "Overrated" chant. I could have sworn that's what it was, my wife too. I even questioned why we were yelling that with 6 minutes left in the game.

Not once did it ever sound to me it was "f--- McGary"

Nice win Cyclones. We're going to be a tough team to take this year.
This was my thought, too. And honestly wouldn't surprise me if true.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron