Chances of ISU Starting Baseball Again

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I've been wondering for a long time if ISU has been considering making this into an NCAA program again. I know very little on the subject, but from what I understood it was shut down because of money issues. I'm curious as to what other people know on this topic.

zepfan4isu

Oct 7, 2009
Ames
We have to make sure we can keep wrestling before we can bring sports back because we could lose a lot of money if we go to a conference with less revenue.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've been wondering for a long time if ISU has been considering making this into an NCAA program again. I know very little on the subject, but from what I understood it was shut down because of money issues. I'm curious as to what other people know on this topic.

There's some other issues going on right now. Baseball is 1,000th on the "To Do" list.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
No way if we go to the MWC. In fact, if we go to the MWC, we will be dropping more sports, not adding.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
Pollard even joked about it at the tailgate tour stop in Omaha on Monday. In his remarks to the group he opened up with.... "well it is best to just get this out of the way and answer the ONE question on everyones mind"...."NO we wont be bringing baseball back."

This said under the shadows of the home of the CWS.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
No no no no no. Baseball will not come back to ISU. In fact, I propose that anyone who brings this topic up be banned from CF :wink:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We have to make sure we can keep wrestling before we can bring sports back because we could lose a lot of money if we go to a conference with less revenue.
Wrestling will be in trouble if we go MWC. There is no financial sense to keep if our budget is cut severely.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'd much rather see Iowa State with a D1 hockey program in the future rather than baseball. I'm not even a hockey fan.

Chris, any idea what the game plan is for retaining the sports we already have if we end up dropping to a lower conference, as appears inevitable at this point?

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
If we end up in the MWC, wrestling is the only sport in question. Air Force and Wyoming are the only schools with programs. Now, if you add Missouri to the MWC, you would then have four programs, so it may be viable. Other sport would be gymnastics (only four B12 schools compete) but there are already three or four schools in the MWC offering womens gymnastics, so with ISU and MU, you would have five or six. Utah is one of the top womens gymnastics programs in the country, and averages about 14,000 per home meet. The folks in Utah like their gymnastics.

Help Support Us

Become a patron