CFTV: Steve Prohm following loss to Milwaukee

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I will always die on the Morgan hill. Perhaps it was a sentient move, but curious to me that the only time we acted proactively when cracks were shown was with the coach who's...ah nevermind.
Yes, that's right, don't even say it. You are relentlessly attacked for stating facts about season records. However, it is perfectly acceptable to mock the guy who never had a single losing season after taking over the program in its darkest days. It's like some people care more about certain coaches than the Iowa State program as a whole.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Hopefully one day, all this Prohm bashing will run it's course and we can celebrate our good fortunes that we now have in basketball.

I'm not sure how to react to a level-headed comment like this. My brain just exploded.

In all seriousness, this is where I'm at. Prohm had some success here and then the program fell off a cliff. Everyone knew it was time to move on and we did. Our current coaching staff has been able to turn the program around in ONE YEAR. We're doing ok now.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Yes, that's right, don't even say it. You are relentlessly attacked for stating facts about season records. However, it is perfectly acceptable to mock the guy who never had a single losing season after taking over the program in its darkest days. It's like some people care more about certain coaches than the Iowa State program as a whole.
I go a step further and place inordinate amount of blame on Larry, as his acts and behaviors negatively impacted ISU more than most.

Guys like Steve/McD, tried their best and it was what it was. Larry took us to the top, but his choices and character sabotaged it and it's a much greater embarrassment than having a really bad losing season.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I go a step further and place inordinate amount of blame on Larry, as his acts and behaviors negatively impacted ISU more than most.

Guys like Steve/McD, tried their best and it was what it was. Larry took us to the top, but his choices and character sabotaged it and it's a much greater embarrassment than having a really bad losing season.
Yes, he was the highest risk and highest reward and objectively we experienced both from him. I was at Iowa State when that all happened.

Reactions: davegilbertson

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Yes, he was the highest risk and highest reward and objectively we experienced both from him. I was at Iowa State when that all happened.
I'm just wondering if you are giving Wayne the benefit of the doubt coaching Larry's guys, but don't give the same credit to Steve. If I heard right in my circles the reason Wayne was hired was to keep Stinson, Blalock, Vroman, Homan, and the recruits in Clark and Carr. By Wayne's 3rd year we were barely above .500, recruits were nothing to be screaming about, and we had a new AD that wanted his staff.

I'm not here to argue, both coaches deserved to go. Steve got a longer leash because he was Jamie's hire and there were some costs and excuses around COVID that Jamie was hoping would be reversed. We didn't feel we could afford to get rid of Steve.

All I know is that I'm glad Otz and the owner of this site were good buddies.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm just wondering if you are giving Wayne the benefit of the doubt coaching Larry's guys, but don't give the same credit to Steve. If I heard right in my circles the reason Wayne was hired was to keep Stinson, Blalock, Vroman, Homan, and the recruits in Clark and Carr. By Wayne's 3rd year we were barely above .500, recruits were nothing to be screaming about, and we had a new AD that wanted his staff.

I'm not here to argue, both coaches deserved to go. Steve got a longer leash because he was Jamie's hire and there were some costs and excuses around COVID that Jamie was hoping would be reversed. We didn't feel we could afford to get rid of Steve.

All I know is that I'm glad Otz and the owner of this site were good buddies.
That is some good revisiting of history there. Morgan did a great job maintaining Larry's roster of guys. Got them to stay and got them to play well a lot of the time. Seems like the wheels fell off in what was Stinson and Blalock's junior year. The team returned so much talent from the '05 team (minus Homan), and just fell flat on their faces. It was odd Morgan didn't get at least another year to try and figure it out. Holy crap did he recruit a lot of flame-outs. McDermott did too, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: stateofmind

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I will always die on the Morgan hill. Perhaps it was a sentient move, but curious to me that the only time we acted proactively when cracks were shown was with the coach who's...ah nevermind.

Part of the reason Wayne got hired in the first place was we got turned down by several better coaching candidates so our idiot AD Bruce at the time didn't have many options left. As someone else mentioned by year 3 it was obvious things were going the wrong direction and apathy was starting to set in as attendance was dwindling. His teams played some of the most undisciplined basketball that I have seen. People say Steve just rolled the ball out on the court and let the talent play, that is exactly what Morgan did and it was a miracle if he got off the bench and showed any kind of emotion or feigned trying to coach at times. What has he done since he got let go at ISU? He was selling satellite TV for awhile and he was an assistant at Hoftstra but it says a lot about how he is viewed in the coaching circles that he never landed another head coaching job.

Just like Greg and Steve, I have nothing against Wayne the person as he is a man of good character but he was not going to have sustained success.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
I head that Steve got all his players a Murray State a nice NIL deal from Chapstick. Commercials should start airing this holiday season. Good for him!!

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Only reason I opened this thread is just to see who bumped it. I was shocked that it wasn’t Stormin.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Is this going to become the new Prohm tracker thread?

Here is an update:

Coach Prohm has got the Racers of Murray State off to a 1-1 start. They got shellacked by Saint Louis 91-68 in their opening game, but bounced back with a nice 90-53 win over NAIA powerhouse Lindsey Wilson. Ranked foe Texas A&M on deck Thursday afternoon. Myrtle Beach Invitational.
Halftime - Murray looking real good, up 7.
Go Racers!