CFTV-LIVE: Breaking down Marial Shayok's commitment

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
I guess I don't understand the Alstork talk? Why do people think we have a shot with him? Have we even visited him yet and I missed it?

Brown on the other hand we have paid an in home visit and he is coming to Ames this weekend. I think we have a better chance with him.

ISU was in to see him on Monday.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
CW said a couple days ago that his guess for the four scholarships were Shayok, Morrow, Juiston, and Alstork. I know he is just guessing too but he has more inside intel than your average joe. He must know something more than we do about Alstork so I am optimistic that we have a chance

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Didn't we have an in-home Monday?

I know that was originally reported awhile back but never heard of confirmation the visit w/ Alstork occured. Not to mention I thought the staff was down south Monday visiting Garrison Brooks and Emmitt Williams?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
LOL. The formula for success is scheduling cupcakes. Play nobodies and inflate your record. It is a proven formula. The Big 12 Schedule includes enough teams to make the schedule tough. Baylor and K-State........and even Iowa have proved it. Our Iowa State team of 2000 proved it. Play nobodies and beat those nobodies. People just look at the record.

The bottom line is ISU needs to get better. Stop trying to paint Iowa as the monsters of the midway. Honestly, they are not much better than most of the mid-level Big 12 teams that ISU needs to start beating to get to a bowl game. I understand what you are saying about the cupcakes, but when ISU can't beat UNI the issues are much deeper than scheduling.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The bottom line is ISU needs to get better. Stop trying to paint Iowa as the monsters of the midway. Honestly, they are not much better than most of the mid-level Big 12 teams that ISU needs to start beating to get to a bowl game. I understand what you are saying about the cupcakes, but when ISU can't beat UNI the issues are much deeper than scheduling.

We should beat UNI, no question. But we should spend the money and get 7 home games every year. Don't do Home and Home series with MAC teams.

I would advocate that the NCAA demand that ALL teams should play 9 Conference games. Complete BS that the SEC only plays 8 games.

I am not afraid of Iowa. Not at all. But consistently playing one of the toughest schedules in the nation is foolish. The Blueprint for success says to play a weak schedule and get a good enough record for a Bowl. K-State, Baylor, etc. have all proven that.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I know that was originally reported awhile back but never heard of confirmation the visit w/ Alstork occured. Not to mention I thought the staff was down south Monday visiting Garrison Brooks and Emmitt Williams?
Thompsonclone had something on Snapchat

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
We should beat UNI, no question. But we should spend the money and get 7 home games every year. Don't do Home and Home series with MAC teams.

This I will wholeheartedly agree with. You don't see a lot of other P5 schools doing things like this. Even when Iowa played N. IL home and away, away was in Soldier Field where they had way more fans than the Huskies. I'm sure it costs some money, but for another home game it would be worth it.

As for Iowa, most years if ISU is not good enough to beat them, they are not a bowl team anyway. Let the Clones get the other 5 wins to go bowling and if the loss to Iowa stops them, people can complain.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not only should we play Iowa ever year, we should be in a conference with them.

Great Plains Conference
---
Illinois Fighting Illini
Iowa Hawkeyes
Iowa State Cyclones
Kansas Jayhawks
Kansas State Wildcats
Minnesota Golden Gophers
Missouri Tigers
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Northwestern Wildcats
Wisconsin Badgers

You want sold out games, intense rivalries, away fans, and entertaining games, then setup college football and schedules like that, not more P5 versus Sun Belt tomato cans.

Those who aid and abet the mentalities that lead to bland, boring games and poor match-ups and diffuse, diluted conferences with little commonalities or reasons to care about each other have a special place in hell. This goes for non-elite P5 schools (and both ISU and Iowa count) dining on cupcakes and for elite schools and conferences who design schedules so they do not have to play each other often, too. I mean, this is how you ruin a sport, right?

Last edited:

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I've never understood why the UNI game can't happen later in the yr when they would be more worn down by their lesser depth.

Also I'd be ok with the Cyhawk game happening every other year.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
LOL. The formula for success is scheduling cupcakes. Play nobodies and inflate your record. It is a proven formula. The Big 12 Schedule includes enough teams to make the schedule tough. Baylor and K-State........and even Iowa have proved it. Our Iowa State team of 2000 proved it. Play nobodies and beat those nobodies. People just look at the record.

K-State has played home and homes with UCLA and Miami, played top 5 programs Auburn and Stanford in the last few years, and has upcoming games with Mississippi St and Vandy. Thats a horrible example of scheduling cupcakes unless you are going back to the 90's when they schedule scrub teams to build their program. Comparing their schedule now with Baylor is an insult.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I guess I don't understand the Alstork talk? Why do people think we have a shot with him? Have we even visited him yet and I missed it?

Brown on the other hand we have paid an in home visit and he is coming to Ames this weekend. I think we have a better chance with him.

You missed it. We've been in contact and visited him, he just hasn't been here yet.

We also have more than one person on the staff, so we can be more places than one at once.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I would advocate that the NCAA demand that ALL teams should play 9 Conference games. Complete BS that the SEC only plays 8 games.

I am not afraid of Iowa. Not at all. But consistently playing one of the toughest schedules in the nation is foolish. The Blueprint for success says to play a weak schedule and get a good enough record for a Bowl. K-State, Baylor, etc. have all proven that.

I'm not in love with Iowa like others here but compare our winning percentage with them and then with the Big 12 the last ten years. We just need to beat KSU, oSu and TT more and that is achievable.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
K-State has played home and homes with UCLA and Miami, played top 5 programs Auburn and Stanford in the last few years, and has upcoming games with Mississippi St and Vandy. Thats a horrible example of scheduling cupcakes unless you are going back to the 90's when they schedule scrub teams to build their program. Comparing their schedule now with Baylor is an insult.
Right, they BUILT what they are now on the backs of cupcakes. I'd be fine with that approach.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just when I thought I would never like you Stormin, you go and type up something like this......AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!

Is there an inconsistency between Adam Gray's views on kickers and his view on bowl games? For kickers, he says it doesn't really matter, just score more touchdowns. But for bowl games, he doesn't say "just win more conference games."

I agree with Rob Gray. There is very little reason to think that we should hook our bowl hopes to a pansy non-conference schedule. If we are good enough to win more than 3 games in the Big 12 season, then we don't need to downgrade our non-conference schedule.

Plus, I would add that as we start winning more Big 12 conference games and going to bowls, we will see some more national attention for the Iowa State/Iowa game.

There is no way that I would dump the special-ness and tradition of our in-state rivalry for a short-cut to a 6-6 season. Let's go right for 7-5 or 8-4 including a win over the Hoks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron