CFTV: Can the women win the Big 12?

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
The answer was yes with many reasons why we might not. Very reasonable.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think Baylor wins it...again. So much talent, and the conference's best coach.

I don't think Baylor wins the league this year. Big big X on their back, and a very cupcake schedule in noncon. Their close game against Louisville says they can play with the sluggers of the world though. Definitely have the POY in Sims, which makes me sad for Hallie, otherwise it would be hers.

Re: Best coach - Measuring combination of Xs and Os with recruiting, yes. Definitely the best recruiter(though I don't know if hiring AAU coaches to land their players is ethical), but not the best Xs and Os coach. BF is probably the best X and Os coach, and actual "game" coach.

Sherri Coale is probably the leagues 2nd best, considering the combo, but I would put her 2nd after Mulkey on recruiting and BF on Xs and Os.

Be curious to see how Whitaker and Aston make their mark over the next couple years. Aston has got the recruits rolling. Whitaker has a mess to start with.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I don't think Baylor wins the league this year. Big big X on their back, and a very cupcake schedule in noncon. Their close game against Louisville says they can play with the sluggers of the world though. Definitely have the POY in Sims, which makes me sad for Hallie, otherwise it would be hers.

Re: Best coach - Measuring combination of Xs and Os with recruiting, yes. Definitely the best recruiter(though I don't know if hiring AAU coaches to land their players is ethical), but not the best Xs and Os coach. BF is probably the best X and Os coach, and actual "game" coach.

Sherri Coale is probably the leagues 2nd best, considering the combo, but I would put her 2nd after Mulkey on recruiting and BF on Xs and Os.

Be curious to see how Whitaker and Aston make their mark over the next couple years. Aston has got the recruits rolling. Whitaker has a mess to start with.

Completely agree with TRB. Baylor will take its knocks this year. Also agree that Mulkey isn't the strategy coach some make her to be. Don't think much of her recruiting ethics either. Then there was last years scene where she Geno slap her on her leather covered butt on national TV.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
From the very beginning I didn't think OU was as good as the experts thought and I still don't. OSU & WV are not bad and even TX may surprise. At this time I believe it will be a fight between BU & ISU. And as of today I would give ISU a slight edge because BU's second best player (Alexis Prince) is being redshirted because of foot surgerys that are healing too slow. Alexis didn't play all that much last year due to the senior laden team, but when she did it was obvious she had all-american talent. She was burdened with this same problem last year and it's really beginning to sound like the doc did a botch job on her surgery. She may never reach her full potential. This puts the burden on several freshmen who still don't have enough big game experience. In the long run that usually will bite you in the butt in the big games.

If anyone could figure out a way to stop Sims, victory against BU would almost be a certain. So far no-one has hardly phased her. I think she scored 40 last night against KSU. One freshmen, Nina Davis has really come on strong and has been a pleasure to watch. The weakest link in Baylors team is Mulks daughter. Too little, too slow, too short, but sweet little girl (has her dads attitude) but should have went to SMU (lol).

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Does Sims play defense? If so, it shouldn't be that hard to get her in foul trouble. I would make that my primary agenda in the first 10 minutes.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We just agree to disagree then. When she took over at Baylor, they were the worst program in the Big 12; she took them to the NCAA tourney in her first year there. And people forget that Mulkey won her first national title in 2005 without that much name talent - and certainly no 5-star recruits. Sophia Young was a no-name player until Mulkey developed her. Mulkey played as a point guard for La Tech and Leon Barmore - and won two national titles. This notion that she's not a great game coach or X's and O's coach is ridiculous. Her body of work and the building of the Baylor program says otherwise.

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
I agree with Tornado man that Baylor will win the conference title but I am not counting out Oklahoma either. If the Cyclones hit a night or nights where the three ball isn't falling, will we have enough other options to pull the game out. When that happens Hal can not have a bad night even if all five of the opponents players are hanging all over her. She has to produce and do it well.

About the best coach thing... Mulkey is a great coach and has basically done what BF did here for Baylor. Her methods can be questioned but her results can't be. Mulkey and Coles have better results than BF has had. The best coach tag is like shooting pigeons in a barrel. The result is blood, guts, and a lot of feathers.

Go Cyclones...

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
About the best coach thing... Mulkey is a great coach and has basically done what BF did here for Baylor. Her methods can be questioned but her results can't be. Mulkey and Coles have better results than BF has had. The best coach tag is like shooting pigeons in a barrel. The result is blood, guts, and a lot of feathers.

Go Cyclones...

Lots of feathers, nice depiction. Mulkey and Coale have gotten "better" results in part due to national POY players. So maybe that means they are better recruiters, and have been good enough at XO's to win big games. Mulkey has coasted on Griner and Sims. Coale did similar with Paris. Players difficult to challenge, who then provide the whole team with an advantage difficult to overcome.

On the other hand, if you think about the results Bill has gotten without such players, pretty amazing XO's.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
We just agree to disagree then. When she took over at Baylor, they were the worst program in the Big 12; she took them to the NCAA tourney in her first year there. And people forget that Mulkey won her first national title in 2005 without that much name talent - and certainly no 5-star recruits. Sophia Young was a no-name player until Mulkey developed her. Mulkey played as a point guard for La Tech and Leon Barmore - and won two national titles. This notion that she's not a great game coach or X's and O's coach is ridiculous. Her body of work and the building of the Baylor program says otherwise.

I guess, I thought I agreed with you that Mulkey is the best coach. She has National Championships, that says it all to me; but what she has done is recruit better than anyone else, and that includes evaluation and scouting. She is also a great motivator.

Young fell into her lap because of her Louisiana connections, or she probably wouldn't have even known about her. It was also 15 years ago where there were a lot more unknown gems to be found, which BF used to get lucky with.

I ask you, do you think BF would have brought a national championship to ISU with Sims, Griner, and Williams and the gluttony of other All American caliber seniors on that Baylor roster if they were on the roster at ISU?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The big difference between Baylor, OU and ISU is simple. Money. Baylor can get away with lots of things ISU can't because they are private and they have deep pockets. OU's budget speaks for itself. CF has always done things a very ethical way...and he always looks at the academics along with the athlete. Can't always say that about the other schools. I respect Coales a great deal. Good coach and having come directly from high school to being a D-1 coach and then achieving what she has speaks volumes. I always will knock Mulkey down because of her unscrupulous recruiting tactics and her personal behavior.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I guess, I thought I agreed with you that Mulkey is the best coach. She has National Championships, that says it all to me; but what she has done is recruit better than anyone else, and that includes evaluation and scouting. She is also a great motivator.

Young fell into her lap because of her Louisiana connections, or she probably wouldn't have even known about her. It was also 15 years ago where there were a lot more unknown gems to be found, which BF used to get lucky with.
I happen to believe that Mulkey is the best coach in terms of player development and X's and O's, not just recruiting. Again, she won immediately at Baylor, with leftover players from the league's worst program, and average talent, at best, to start with. Her 2005 NCAA title team had no right to win it all, except that Baylor had a brilliant coach who is great at developing players. Sophia Young was not a high school "star." She was an exchange student from the West Indies who had scholarship offers from Nicholls State, Centenary, Arkansas-Little Rock, Arkansas-Monticello...and Baylor. Do I think any other Big 12 coach could win an NCAA title with that 2005 roster, and develop Sophia Young to that level? No.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
While the 2005 national championship for Baylor is an accomplishment, they did not have a tough draw and ended up playing an MSU team that had overachieved throughout the season and didn't have the athletes to match up with Baylor. So yes, give them credit for what they accomplished, but it does not define Mulkey as a great coach.

Also, one might argue that a brilliant coach would not have lost in the sweet sixteen in 2013 given the talent on that team.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
OSU's "road" to the conference championship took a hit at home tonight with a loss to WVU. While WVU being a contender is not a surprise, and they did beat us at home last year, their getting a win at OSU is surprising.

It looks like WVU might have been allowed to play like they did against us. 26 fouls. Three WVU bench players who played 11, 15 and 15 minutes had 4, 4 and 5 fouls. Only one of the starters (Bussie) had 4 fouls; all the rest only 1 or 2. So appears they subbed in to foul, like they did against us... OSU's top 3 shooters shot 7 of 36. Didn't see the game though.

Darn, was hoping the Big 12 ref'ing would follow the new emphases.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
While the 2005 national championship for Baylor is an accomplishment, they did not have a tough draw and ended up playing an MSU team that had overachieved throughout the season and didn't have the athletes to match up with Baylor. So yes, give them credit for what they accomplished, but it does not define Mulkey as a great coach.

??? They only had to defeat three No. 1 seeds to win the title that year - North Carolina, LSU, and then Michigan State. You can label MSU as an "overachiever" perhaps, but both UNC and LSU had much more "talent" on their rosters than what Mulkey had...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I ask you, do you think BF would have brought a national championship to ISU with Sims, Griner, and Williams and the gluttony of other All American caliber seniors on that Baylor roster if they were on the roster at ISU?

Yeah, but Grinder is a guy. If BF had RashonC, he could also have won a championship.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Does Mulkey call her players vulgar names in the locker room and yell in their faces until they cry?

No, she lets other coaches grope her on national television. This comment has ZERO to do with this thread. Just don't even go there. Its been rehashed verbatum and the bottom line is this. EVERY lady who plays for Bill knows how he coaches. If they can't handle it don't come here. If you talk with those who he is hardest on...his point guards...they all love him like a father (of course he is the father-in-law of one of them).