CFP Speculation

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Well we are just 2 weeks or so away from the release of the first CFP rankings on Nov 2nd. If ISU wins its next 2 games, I think we will get another big ratings boost from the committee (just like last year). I did a lot of speculating like this last year, and it worked out well for ISU. So let’s hope we string together a bunch of wins again this year. If we somehow run the table and return to the Big 12 championship game, I predict we will be ranked right around #7 going into that game.

ISU will need some help to have any shot at a CFP berth. I would like to see Oregon lose to UCLA this weekend to completely eliminate the PAC 12 from any consideration. It would also be nice to see Notre Dame lose to USC.
ISU is not going to the playoff. Let's just get that out of the way.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Current projections have ISU at #17 in initial poll

Potential to go to Norman as a top 10 team if we take care of @WVU, Texas and @Tech

aTm has a bye week this week then Auburn and @Ole Miss after that. Could jump them with a win on Saturday. Hope for at least 1-1 and we for sure jump them

Baylor has Texas, @TCU and OU over the next 3. We need them to drop at least 1 of those, hopefully 2

Kentucky has @MissSt and Tenn in the next 2 before a cakewalk finish.. They could easily win out and we not pass them. Shot for an at-large NY6

OSU finishes the year against the bottom of the conference and OU in the final week. We are probably stuck behind them unless we dominate opponants

Wake plays @UNC, NCST and @Clemson the week we play OU. I bet they go 1-1 prior to Clemson. We could jump them with convincing wins regardless due to the soft ACC

Iowa likely wins out against some creampuffs.. Lord I wish we played in the B1G West

Pretty easy path to a near #10 ranking for @OU if Purdy keeps playing at this current level

• Optimistic
Reactions: BigCyFan

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
There is zero chance... I had thought Michigan might lose to Penn State but unless Sean Clifford has magical healing abilities... I can't see that happening now.

As for Pitt, yes, there loss was bad but they are also the one team that actually handled Clemson. Georgia had to ek out a win. NC State didn't score on them like Pitt. Pittsburg got an elite collegiate quarterback who will likely climb in the Heisman voting if they continue to win.

Alabama at two losses has a better chance than two loss Iowa State sadly.

And Oregon very well may lose but presuming they win the Pac 12 and we win the Big 12 they still have the massive advantage of a road win at Ohio State in non conference.

Everyone has blemishes but I don't see it. It was going to be hard for us to do with one loss. Not with two.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The ship sailed for all realistic purposes, but it's fun to envision a CFP Final Four as something like Oregon, Wake, Cincinnati and (2-loss!) Iowa State.
Not for me. It actually just reminds me that we screwed the pooch against Baylor.

• Winner
Reactions: twojman

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
The ship sailed for all realistic purposes, but it's fun to envision a CFP Final Four as something like Oregon, Wake, Cincinnati and (2-loss!) Iowa State.

I guess that’s “fun” but any playoff field that doesn’t include the SEC champion - even with 2 losses, hell, maybe even with 3! - is pure and utter fantasy. Also, even if Ohio State loses twice, watch them be ranked in the top 7 In the CFP.

You see, SEC losses don’t count as much, because when Bama or Georgia loses to an SEC team, that’s a ”good loss,” because the team that beat them was good enough to beat Bama or Georgia.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Well theoretically they've got a pretty good shot but as someone with eyes who has seen that quarterback play, yeah they've got no chance.
What's f*cked up is that you're right about the QB play and it should have zero bearing...

But Clark, that loss was Peeee Uuuuu, much worse than our losses. That's a bigger stain that anything ole Spencer the Greek could cause.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
What's f*cked up is that you're right about the QB play and it should have zero bearing...

But Clark, that loss was Peeee Uuuuu, much worse than our losses. That's a bigger stain that anything ole Spencer the Greek could cause.

You understand that one is less than two, correct?

You also understand that one of your losses was at home to Iowa. So you can't even play the "who has better losses" game with a straight face.

Anyway, I'm not sure why or how Iowa got brought up, they aren't making the CFP either.

It would be shocking if Georgia or Cincinnati didn't make it at this point.

After that you're looking at five or six teams with a realistic shot at getting the remaining two spots

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You understand that one is less than two, correct?

You also understand that one of your losses was at home to Iowa. So you can't even play the "who has better losses" game with a straight face.

Anyway, I'm not sure why or how Iowa got brought up, they aren't making the CFP either.

It would be shocking if Georgia or Cincinnati didn't make it at this point.

After that you're looking at five or six teams with a realistic shot at getting the remaining two spots
Spencer is not done losing games for Iowa. He’s just getting started.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Spencer is not done losing games for Iowa. He’s just getting started.
They’re a three point dog at Wisconsin and will be less than a three point favorite at Nebraska. They’re going to lose one of those. If they lose this week, both Wisconsin and Minnesota will control their own destiny.