CF Diplomacy: Who wants in?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Dont forget to finalize!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
xAKigJo.png

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Interesting openings from several countries. Some good options are in play for several countries depending on how aggressive they want to be. Some really influential decisions are going to get made this next turn or two. While I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I'm hesitant to provide more commentary unless the players would be okay with it.

Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Interesting openings from several countries. Some good options are in play for several countries depending on how aggressive they want to be. Some really influential decisions are going to get made this next turn or two. While I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I'm hesitant to provide more commentary unless the players would be okay with it.

This please. Great looking game so far. I'll be interested in reading how this all happened post game.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
This please. Great looking game so far. I'll be interested in reading how this all happened post game.

Well, I can start with Austria since they are probably in the weakest position after the first full round.

Russia made a ballsy move taking Veinna, but Austria isn't in a position to punish it because they misplayed Serbia/Rumania by sending the troop from Serbia into Rumania. With the Russian tank in Galicia, the more effective offensive and probably best overall option would have been to have Serbia support the troop movement from Budapest into Rumania. If Russia did what it did Austria would have traded 2-for-1 and gotten another unit during the build phase. If Russia would have went for Rumania, Russia would still have taken it but Austria wouldn't have lost anything. They still would be +1 SC for unit build.

A slightly less desirable defensive option would have been to camp the tank in Serbia (it wasn't going to get bounced before build) and to send the tank in Budapest to Veinna and gamble that Russia was going for it instead of Budapest or Rumania. That would give you a 2/3 shot of getting an extra unit. Worst case in that scenario would be Russia going full-greed, getting lucky and taking both Rumania and Budapest. Even in that situation, Austria would be left in a better-but-still-bad position board-wise than they currently are.

As a note, Austria is the most difficult country to play effectively. These situations highlight why as they almost always have multiple countries bearing down on them in the early game.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
This brings me to a point I really like about Diplomacy in comparison to Risk. In Risk, camping units and being defensively reactive can be rewarded over time as your units accrue and other players kill off each others' armies. In Diplomacy, the only way to accrue more strength is to be proactive and take it either physically on the board or through political maneuvering.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Hey all, I just had to put my cat down and am not really in the mood to keep up with this. It looks like I can name a substitute if someone wants to take over. I'm Turkey, which is positioned to take over the world in 1 or 2 more turns, so it'll be a quick finish.

• Dislike
Reactions: cyrevkah

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Hey all, I just had to put my cat down and am not really in the mood to keep up with this. It looks like I can name a substitute if someone wants to take over. I'm Turkey, which is positioned to take over the world in 1 or 2 more turns, so it'll be a quick finish.
Sorry for your loss Michael.

Reactions: michaelrr1

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City

My condolences.

Reactions: michaelrr1