CELEBRATION IN THE STREETS!

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
That is well said. Would you change all of that to be in a situation like Canada was in tonight though? To wait every four years just for a chance to win gold in 1 sport?

You have to understand that Canada only has 34 million people in it and to them this was it. If Canada as a country had only won one medal during these Olympics, it had to be this one. Likewise, they could have won gold in everything else, lost today and considered the Olympics to be a failure.

We don't have anything in this country - sports wise - that means as much to us as hockey does to Canada, and it's not close. Everything in the US is regionalized due to the population and variety of pro sports leagues, and that regionalization is what would prevent the kind of celebrations here that you see taking place all over Canada tonight.

It does kind of make me jealous, I'd have to admit.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Yeah they got the gold medal, but they split with us, in a sport that heavily dominates that country on home ice, and at the end of the day, we won the total medal count. Canada still sucks.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I got a question? Did anybody outside of Canada and the US care about this game today?

It's cool Canada won, but who cares? They were supposed to win.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
the biggest celebration in the streets i could imagine would be the cubbies winning the world series, but thats not really a national thing. the nation as a whole wouldnt get that excited over any one sporting event IMO.. i understand the canadian excitement, but they take their hockey WAY too seriously lol

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I really think a World Cup victory would do it. Not everyone would be euphoric, or even care. But, there would be dancing in the streets in every major city from NY to L.A.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Just a thought so don't go ballistic. In thinking about the Cubs winning a World Series and the potential nationwide euphria, how about some real ridiculous underdog coming out of nowhere and winning the Superbowl. The Superbowl is the most watched sports event annually on TV. Example: Detroit squeaks into the play-offs with an 8-8 record and then pulls off last second victories against heavily favored foes to reach the Superbowl against undefeated Indianapolis who had just finished the regular season and play-offs without a loss to set an NFL record. During the week prior to the game, the starting QB's wife require's his presence as she is barely hanging on from a mysterious illness which forces Detroit to bring in either (take your pick) Brett Favre or Kurt Warner who were brought in out of retirement mid-season as 3rd string back ups. Once again Detroit pulls out the victory in OT. The streets are filled nationwide?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No chance. Nobody cares about the Lions.

We don't care about a sport the way Canada cares about hockey. Period. No sporting event will have that kind of national appeal.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Is there anything even non-sport related that would do it? Landing on Mars, curing cancer, anything?

I thought about World Cup and I don't think that would get it done. Too many people wouldn't even grasp the achievement that would be, and if they did they aren't passionate enough about soccer to flood the streets in celebration. I think it has to be something with an emotional investment in it already.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
I will agree that the only thing I can think of would be the Cubs winning the WS. I honestly believe this would send hundreds of thousands of people out in the streets celebrating. Especially in Illinois and Iowa!! :yes:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
There isn't anything, unfortunately.

I was in Canada for the first couple days of the Olympics and the atmosphere in the bars was amazing when the Canadians were competing. While the Canadian were competing it was hard to get a drink, but once the Canadians did well, beers were arriving from all directions.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
when the USA wins the world cup. even people who hate soccer, couldn't hate on that. and everyone would be celebrating because we just ****** the rest of the world off by winning their sport.

The world cup would be celebrated exactly like the gold medal would've been, by a casual sports fans. Don't get me wrong people would be proud and fake interest for a few days (just like happens every 4 years when America cares about hockey, skiing, skating etc...) but it would be quickly forgotten as soon as the next big sport started. I don't think its really a knock on these sports, it happens with the "big" sports in the US as well. As a county we have out passions spread out over different teams/sports etc... that we quickly move our focus to the next big thing. I mean honestly do you think anyone would've cared as much about the hockey game yesterday if it happened in October? Can anyone on here really say that US hockey is a priority over Cyclone athletics?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I will agree that the only thing I can think of would be the Cubs winning the WS. I honestly believe this would send hundreds of thousands of people out in the streets celebrating. Especially in Illinois and Iowa!! :yes:

Good thing we won't have to worry about that in our lifetime:jimlad:....go Cards!!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How about the Cubs winning. Fans are all across America.

This I could actually see, not the Cubs winning a championship, but if they ever do I could envision several cities going down in flames.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is there anything even non-sport related that would do it? Landing on Mars, curing cancer, anything?

I thought about World Cup and I don't think that would get it done. Too many people wouldn't even grasp the achievement that would be, and if they did they aren't passionate enough about soccer to flood the streets in celebration. I think it has to be something with an emotional investment in it already.

I would have thought if anything would have done it, it could have been Obama winning the presidency. While I know most aren't a big fan, there were enough people who loved the guy and felt particuarly effected by his victory to start big parties. I was in DC for the election and the scene in and around the White House and near the bars on Capital Hill were similar to the streets in Vancouver, but I don't think there was mass hysteria across the country like there was in Vancouver.

As far as sports, it'll never happen. The reason for that is that we are competitive in near every sport, and unlike Canada, we don't put "all our eggs in basket" when it comes to sports. The American population is pretty divided on which sport they like the most between the big 3.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
original.jpg

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

I think I was wrong when I posted that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w]YouTube - The World's Reaction to Landon Donovan's Game Winning Goal[/ame]

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Here is Des Moines:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r55rsFZ9Z1M]YouTube - Landon Donovan goal vs Algeria at American Outlaws, Des Moines[/ame]