CCL/PTL comparison

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Iowa lost at Nebraska last year and barely beat a horrible Ped State team at their place too, but, they do return a lot of players from last year. A win in Hilton is not a guarantee but after winning 30 of 32 I like our chances. Teams fear Hilton again and I love it.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Being confident that ISU will win and betting the farm are two drastically different things. I'll take a bet if someone wants to show off their confidence.

Last edited:

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Being confident that ISU win and betting the farm are two drastically different things. I'll take a bet if someone wants to show off their confidence.

Exactly. I'm 75% sure ISU will win. But to state it as fact that Iowa cannot win in Hilton is erroneous.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Being confident that ISU win and betting the farm are two drastically different things. I'll take a bet if someone wants to show off their confidence.

You're saying you want to bet Iowa to win at Hilton?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Fran has shown zero ability to develop talent, I have no concern in regards to Iowa MBB.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Something weird happened in that Iowa game last year. Iowa State played like crap and lost, but to read the reaction on every message board from December until now, you'd think Iowa State lost by 50. It was a loss, but it wasn't the worst thing that has ever happened in the history of Iowa State basketball. There has rarely been such an over-reaction by our fanbase and that is saying something.

As far as next year goes, we'll see. Iowa State should be a favorite just because it is at home. Iowa claims that they will be much improved from last year, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Devyn Marble?

He has kind of regressed and then got better and then regressed.

Let's look at it this way. Do you think that if you gave Fran Iowa State's team the last 2 years that he could have done much of anything with them? I know there were growing pains and December problems that were frustrating each year, but when you really step back and look at the big picture, Hoiberg's ability to handle those 2 teams was amazing. It wasn't all Hoiberg, the assistants did a great job and the players did as well. But it starts with Hoiberg and it shows up in so many ways....but the biggest thing is that he seems to respect his players. And I think that they know he has their backs. Fran would have seen 'bad' Korie or 'pouting' Booker or other things and railed into them and could have lost them.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I would still like to know more about the rules related to CCL/PTL leagues. What is the rule? And what is its purpose?

I would love to see more D1 teams with players in the same league. It would be cool to have games played in various parts of the state through the summer.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd love to see a championship type game where the winner of the CCL plays the winner of the PTL. Charge for tickets and give the money to charity or something.

As far as iowa beating ISU in Hilton, I think that it could definitely happen. Once again, ISU is going to be rebuilding at the beginning of the season with three new starters...likely a FR as one and a transfer SG that is playing PG. It's going to take some time for that team to come together, just like the last two. I guess that's the drawback of taking some transfers and JUCOs. Iowa on the other hand has pretty much their entire team coming back and they were decent by the end of last season. I believe that ISU has a lot of upside next season, but it's not inconceiveable that iowa would be playing better ball than ISU in December. Hilton is a heck of an equalizer though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'd love to see a championship type game where the winner of the CCL plays the winner of the PTL. Charge for tickets and give the money to charity or something.

Outstanding idea.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Marble was absolutely terrible for stretches last season. Put it this way, Fran has been a HC for 17 years and has had exactly zero draft picks.

If that's true it's a stunning statistic. Obviously the cycle will be broken when Woodbury leaves school early and goes no. 1 overall in next year's draft, but still, that's stunning.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Marble was absolutely terrible for stretches last season. Put it this way, Fran has been a HC for 17 years and has had exactly zero draft picks.

Marble was injured for a large part of Big Ten play last year. When he was healthy, he was really good. Bottom line, Marble has gotten a ton better from his freshman year to his junior year...I consider that being "developed". Also, McCafferey has coached at Liberty, UNC Greensboro, and Siena before going to Iowa. Not many coaches would get players drafted off of those teams. And for him to be successful especially at Siena absolutely shows he can develop talent at least to some extent. Those players didn't walk in there as superstar freshman but by the time they were upperclassmen they were competing with the elites of college basketball. I'm not saying Fran's a great developer of talent or that he's better at it than Fred, but he's definitely shown more than "zero" ability to develop talent in my mind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron